Buying my second C-Max Energi!

lynn

Good evening from the middle of the Arizona desert!  I'm going to buy my second (used) Energi C-Max to tow flat tow behind our RV.  In all likelihood the high high voltage batteries will soon go bad (as happened with my last C-Max).  If I do not replace the high voltage batteries, what type of mileage can I expect with the C-Max?  I want the Energi for the $4,000 credit currently offered by the IRS.  Any comments?  Thoughts?  I towed our last C-Max 4 down without any problems.  Thanks.

Lynn 

When you say that the battery goes bad, do you mean that it only has a little capacity left? I assume then it becomes a Max hybrid with similar fuel economy.

If some cells actually become damaged and the battery cannot hold a charge, then is the car even drivable or the battery needs to be rebuilt or replaced?

what year was your first car?  (I'm guessing an early one, 2013/2014?)

I bought a 2016 Energi with 57K on it to replace a 2007 Prius with 220K on it.  And yes, I bought it for the tax credit--but my son drives it, and he doesn't plug in.  So it's just a hybrid, like the Prius he drove before that.

I don't know why your first car's hybrid battery went bad, but don't assume they all do that.

On 1/30/2023 at 6:08 PM, stratosurfer said:

That tax credit is only available to the original purchaser IIRC.

Not anymore.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/used-clean-vehicle-credit

This makes the Energi one of the cheapest used cars you can buy right now.  After the tax credit and selling the old Prius, my 2016 Energi SEL with 57K on the clock cost me $10K out the door a month ago.  And even if you have nowhere to plug it in, that's no big deal.  You just need the plug to get the tax credit.

• 3 weeks later...