Help needed with a no start and DTC

Hello all, 

This is my second post to the forum, so please go easy on me.  The car is not a c-max it's an FFH.

Here's the deal, the car will drive In all electric mode. But the ICE will not start. It does not even try to crank.  The 12v battery is new and fully charged. The HVB is fully charged as well. This is not an energi, it's a normal hybrid.

The code I have is F00317. 

Look at the picture to verify the code and  HVB status. 20230203_123332.thumb.jpg.42fe37e502a217de5cd031ddaacf902a.jpg

Any and all help would be great!

Thanks!

David 

From what I'm seeing, this error code indicates the ABS module saw above 17v power supplied. It's also listed as a historic code in your picture so likely temporary and if it was ever jump started, the process could have triggered this code.

U3003:17 - Ford Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Definition, Causes and Diagnosis (dtcdecode.com)

Related to this code, you could try clearing it out and try getting the ICE to start again. May also be worth verifying what voltage you are getting on the 12v/LV side to make sure it is in spec. The highest that you should be seeing while running is up in the high 14s. Anything 15 or higher is bad. On the opposite end, nothing below 12v should be seen while running. By 'running' I mean when the vehicle is on/Ready to Drive. The ICE does not need to be running to see active charging voltages.

Do you have any other codes? CEL light on? Wrench light? If the ICE is legitimately not wanting to run, the vehicle should have more telltales going on telling you something is wrong and why.

Also being a hybrid and seeing the battery gauge up that high is indicating the ICE has been supplying power somewhere to recharge it. If you're just relying on the assumption the ICE will start when you turn the key/press the start button, it likely won't do so at such a high charge level.

As a quick test, with the vehicle 'on' and in Ready to Drive mode: While remaining in Park, press the accelerator down and hold it (doesn't need to be all the way to the floor but does need to be depressed to some degree). This should force the ICE to start and run if all is operating well.

That's about all that I can input on this without more details such as any additional codes, lights on the dash, and especially more detailed info on how the vehicle is behaving when you try or expect the ICE to run.

Edited by cr08

On 2/6/2023 at 1:05 PM, cr08 said:

From what I'm seeing, this error code indicates the ABS module saw above 17v power supplied. It's also listed as a historic code in your picture so likely temporary and if it was ever jump started, the process could have triggered this code.

U3003:17 - Ford Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Definition, Causes and Diagnosis (dtcdecode.com)

Related to this code, you could try clearing it out and try getting the ICE to start again. May also be worth verifying what voltage you are getting on the 12v/LV side to make sure it is in spec. The highest that you should be seeing while running is up in the high 14s. Anything 15 or higher is bad. On the opposite end, nothing below 12v should be seen while running. By 'running' I mean when the vehicle is on/Ready to Drive. The ICE does not need to be running to see active charging voltages.

Do you have any other codes? CEL light on? Wrench light? If the ICE is legitimately not wanting to run, the vehicle should have more telltales going on telling you something is wrong and why.

Also being a hybrid and seeing the battery gauge up that high is indicating the ICE has been supplying power somewhere to recharge it. If you're just relying on the assumption the ICE will start when you turn the key/press the start button, it likely won't do so at such a high charge level.

As a quick test, with the vehicle 'on' and in Ready to Drive mode: While remaining in Park, press the accelerator down and hold it (doesn't need to be all the way to the floor but does need to be depressed to some degree). This should force the ICE to start and run if all is operating well.

That's about all that I can input on this without more details such as any additional codes, lights on the dash, and especially more detailed info on how the vehicle is behaving when you try or expect the ICE to run.

Thank you for the very detailed post and for taking the time out of your day to do so. I appreciate it a lot!!

I contacted Ford about the code "F00317" and the lady I talked to said it came up as " Rough Road Hardware Not Present".  So I looked it up and the code for that is "P0317".  So that left me with some questions. I did learn that it could be a fault crankshaft position sensor.   I need to test the one on the car.

Now on to what you suggested. I have checked the voltage as you suggested and I am seeing 13.8 volts with the key on.  That looks good there.

We hooked a laptop up to the car and got two codes.  "U0100" and U0293.  We cleared them and tried again to start the car.  The "stop safely now" triangle poped up as well as the MIL.  So we checked the codes again and this time there was one code "P1A0C"  it says the failure type is "00".  I might have a bad PCM or bad wires or connectors?

Don't judge me to hard on the next comment. As for why the battery is as full as it is, is because I took the HVB out and charged each individual cell (76 in all) with a special charger ment for charging the 3.6/3.7 nominal voltage cells. Before this was done the ICE still would not start. The battery was run down do to sitting to long and or trying to get the ICE started. 

I have tried to start the ICE by your suggestion of turning the car on to "drive" mode and help the gas pedal to the floor (with the car in park) for about a minute with no results. I tried this on more than one occasion.  No go.  I did make.sure voltage changed as well as the pedal was pressed and depressed. That all seemed to be good as well.

Thanks again for your help.  If you need more information just let me know.

David

On 2/6/2023 at 6:43 PM, jzchen said:

If something/anything saw 17 V I'd start looking/checking fuses next. With the car in Ready to Drive can you measure the voltage at the battery?  What is it?

I checked all the fuses under the hood and they all appeared to be good. 

In engineering mode with the key on it says the system voltage is 13.8. I have not checked it at the battery.  I will do that in the AM and get back to you.

Thanks for the suggestions.

David

On 2/6/2023 at 6:43 PM, jzchen said:

If something/anything saw 17 V I'd start looking/checking fuses next. With the car in Ready to Drive can you measure the voltage at the battery?  What is it?

I just checked the battery, with the key off, the battery shows 11.99 volts. With the key on, ready to drive, it showed 14.57 volts.

On 2/7/2023 at 8:55 PM, homestead said:

Why not take it in and get a professional diagnosis of the problem and then decide if you want to try to fix it yourself?

That thought has crossed my mind. The Ford dealer we use is about 100 miles away. So, I plan on exhausting all the simple options before going that far.

The hope was somebody on this forum had the same problem and knew the awnser. I do realize it's hard to diagnose things over the internet.  Worth a try I figured. 

Thanks again to all those with input.

On 2/7/2023 at 8:18 PM, powerstroke cowboy said:

That thought has crossed my mind. The Ford dealer we use is about 100 miles away. So, I plan on exhausting all the simple options before going that far.

The hope was somebody on this forum had the same problem and knew the awnser. I do realize it's hard to diagnose things over the internet.  Worth a try I figured. 

Thanks again to all those with input.

We still have our Prius but had traded in our C-MAX Energi in 2018.  I was looking on fordparts.com and (not knowing your model year) randomly selected 2014 Fusion.  There are several “starters” listed.  If you enter your VIN the site will narrow down your choices to the ones that are appropriate.

So it may be the “starter”, just we don’t know how to test it.

Another possible concern may be that 17 V jolt may have damaged an ECU…

What software did you use to scan it?  If not ForScan can you try it?

On 2/9/2023 at 4:12 AM, jzchen said:

We still have our Prius but had traded in our C-MAX Energi in 2018.  I was looking on fordparts.com and (not knowing your model year) randomly selected 2014 Fusion.  There are several “starters” listed.  If you enter your VIN the site will narrow down your choices to the ones that are appropriate.

So it may be the “starter”, just we don’t know how to test it.

Another possible concern may be that 17 V jolt may have damaged an ECU…

What software did you use to scan it?  If not ForScan can you try it?

The post right above mine from Bill-N explains how my car does not have a starter motor that runs off the 12v battery.  Just like I tried to explain in post #8.  I wish it were that simple.

This car had no codes showing that it ever saw 17 volts or more.  I called Ford and they say the code "F00317" is for "rough road hardware not present"  that could.they said also point to a bad crankshaft sensor. In plan to test the crank sensor this weekend.

I used auto enginuity to check for and clear the codes.  It's the enhanced ford package. That just means it works on diesels as well.

I am working on getting forscan.  I will need to pick up the datalink cable to do it. When I get everything I need I will give it a go.

Thanks for the input. 

David

On 2/10/2023 at 12:18 AM, jzchen said:

That's interesting.   Ford might not have told me correctly.   I wonder if that would have anything to do with a HVB go dead do to the ice not starting?