50+mpg trips

C-MAXER

I've had my new c-max since Saturday, so less than a week.  So far I'm very pleased with the mileage.  I have driven it to work 3 times so far and get around 50-52 mpg.  This is a route that is about half freeway and 1/4 surface street and 1/4 40mph road.  Traffic is lousy on all parts of the trip, so there is little time that I can get up to 60+ mph. Lots of stop-n-go.  I did not expect this good mileage also considering, 1) The car has only 120mi on it and hasn't been broken in 2) I'm new to it and have never driven a hybrid before.   The MPG achieved so far exceeded my expectations for the car, mostly considering the horrible press and "expert" reviews showing fuel mileage at ~35mpg.  I don't expect to get 50 mpg  on straight up freeway, 70mph driving, nor do I expect low 35-36mpg overall either.

After contemplating a bit, it seems the "Cmax EPA MPG" outrage is a little arbitrary.  I think about driving my 2012 focus, with it's 38mpg highway rating and how seldom I achieve that.  I would say on highway driving, probably only 25 percent of the time have I even achieved that fuel economy.  I'm sure it's similar with other traditional ICE cars  such as the Cruze.  So why the trashing of the C-max?  

I think there is a lot of bias and hostility still built up among industry press and the public that still hasn't forgiven the American car industry for it's lousy  (deserved) reputation it acquired in the 70s-80s.  (Is it me or does CR automatically give any Japanese car perfect 'til proven otherwise status simply for rolling onto their testing grounds? )      

Anyway, I hope this 50+ mpg trend continues (dare I say improves?) as I have the car longer.  But so far, it's been a blast to drive and gives warm feeling all over knowing it will be a while for even my first gas fill-up!!   

A little trip through the mountains, on the way down - if I had timed the trip better (started after a big uphill segment at the beginning, and not stopped along the way down) I could have had 100+MPG at 30 miles, which would have been far more impressive…. alas. Next time I'll time it right. :)

80mpg.jpg

Ho Hum, another day of 47+ mpg.  This was last Tuesday - a round trip from Seattle to Shelton, mostly freeway (say 60-70%, 60mph), the rest beautiful windy country road. 

DSC 4245

This whole EPA nonsense grinds my teeth.

47/47/47, 45/40/43  effectively a lie by nature of suggesting the definitive, regardless the numbers.

28-59 (whatever that quoted range is) a reasonable estimate of the truth and a most delicious opportunity - I think I may buy one of those marvelous vehicles; oh ya, I already have one!  :jump_earth:

The EPA should never have entertained comparative numbers, other than ranges.

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSeattle

Finally had a chance to drive my C-Max on a road trip (not just urban freeways).  Took a trip with my spouse and food and drink for total of 5 adults ( yes the rear seats were folded down and loaded with supplies) who we met in the White Mountains in Arizona.  Great long weekend!

Most driving was on 2 or 4 lane state highways, keeping to posted limits (usually 65mph).  Seems like the car learned something in the process, as I was hitting better high mileage ratings while the ICE was engaged on the way home.  Lots of up and down the mountains.

See the results in the pic below.  I love it! 230 miles and 3/4 of a tank left on the gauge.

I hope to take the same trip in a couple months after the Fuel Economy update is installed, we'll see if there is a difference.  I did not there were places running at 65-67 where it could have dropped into EV mode given conditions if the update was applied.

post-356-0-05075400-1376954940_thumb.jpg

Edited by wamba2000

My best to work trip so far.  This is mostly rush hour high way miles with a 5 minute stretch of solid 70mph.  I have an alternate (shorter)  way to get to work that I'm going to try.  I have a feeling that my MPG will drop in the alternate, but I'm curious to see what the total gas used will be.

post-1307-0-01640800-1377008583_thumb.jpg

Pictures really don't mean much, I can take a pix at 116 mpg, or 29 mpg 52,75 etc  it's all according where I'm driving up hill down hill, short or long trip.  On a 800 mile trip I got 40 mpg avg, on a 200 mile trip I got 51... my every day avg is 44,  life time avg 40.5.

I just know I am using less gas by far than my last auto.