50+mpg trips

C-MAXER

First leg of my trip this afternoon was uphill on the interstate, 33.x mpg. On the way back though:

[picture of 95.2 mpg]

Took side streets, was a nice gentle downslope all the way. average of about 64 mpg is nice :D

Really don't want to rain on anyone's parade but we can't "average" mpg the normal way (mpg1 + mpg2)/2.  You have to take the reciprocals, average those and take a final reciprocal.  Which equates to: 2/(1/mpg1 + 1/mpg2).  Now if we all used L/100km (like Laurel and all our friends in Canada), we could just do the normal average and it works.  (Either way, miles must be the same.)  So we can convert to L/100km (helps get us used to these values), average normally and convert back.  The conversion factor is 235.  So:

235/33.5 = 7.01 L/100km  (guessing at the .x)

235/95.2 = 2.47 L/100km

Average = (7.01+2.47)/2 = 4.74 L/100km

Avg MPG = 235/4.74 = 50 MPG (rounding off)

Still a fine result!

BTW, the original 47 mpg rating is an even up 5.0 L/100km.

(Or just take total miles divided by total gallons - in which case miles need not be the same.)

EPA says the average trip length in the US is between 10-13 miles so that's real world data.  http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/facts/2010_fotw615.html

So's this:

61112DB4-51A1-453B-8A8B-C037978C90EF-290

I just got 50.9mpg on a 10 mile trip on fairly level freeway this evening. I normally use Ecocruise when I can, and tend to cruise between 62-68 or so unless I am getting passed by everybody. My 37.3 is slowly creeping up,and I expect to easily reach at least 40 mpg with no problems. This is with just over 900 miles.

agree about the avg trip drive. my commute to work is 14-15 miles one way. i know with the housing boom in California many though moved to the cheap houses about 50s miles from the city so that with increase the avg in coming years data results for sure.

the 12-15 miles is good since its long enough to get the car warmed up to temp and get some coasting and p&g going on to get your MPG up.

most folks that only drive 5 miles or less are either super lucky to work so close to home...or are retired ;) no offense.

most folks that only drive 5 miles or less are either super lucky to work so close to home...or are retired ;) no offense.

Or live in smaller communities.  40% of the US population lives in areas of 200,000 or less.   Plug-in's really solve the small trip scenario.  

Edited by fotomoto

will have to get photo from phone but love short trips did a 3 mile trip to the store flat streets 122 mpg... thought was fun

Lifetime at 39.8 right now but did a 2000 mile trip right after I bought the car last December than drove to 2000 miles round trip in the cold weather and car loaded down so had average down to 33mpg when got back, but slowly rising up and been averageing 44mpg a tank since March and just went over 10,000 miles...

Excellent slampro.  Anticipate the traffic more to improve those brake scores and possibly get one or two "free" mpg's on those trips.  I know it's difficult if you leave too much of a gap and then others squeeze in right in front of you using up your buffer.  

Hehe. It's not really that. I have been driving for a living for 20+ years. I am pretty darn good at predicting the idiots. I have only had 1 accident, and that was some guy rear ending me. Also haven't had a ticket for 15+ years.

It's more like ......WOW I have a fast little car, instead of an F150, or the Escape(which is not fast). I am enjoying driving it very much. So much so that when the guy in the mustang, charger, etc comes speeding up and wants to swerve around traffic and cut me off in my "safe zone", I am able to speed up and close the gap he thought he saw. Then I LOVE the looks I get when people realize I am a hybrid. I have been watching people go around me for years because I drive an Escape hybrid. Now I get to show them hybrids don't have to be slow.

If I wanted to increase the numbers I could. I just like driving it, and am happy to get 40+. I will probably settle down, but for now.............I'm having fun (Safely).

If I wanted to increase the numbers I could. I just like driving it, and am happy to get 40+. I will probably settle down, but for now.............I'm having fun (Safely).

Understood, newbs get a BIG pardon!  BTW, I own the record for lowest brake score: a lowly 7!!!!    But just remember, better brake scores means more regen.  More regen means more battery.  More battery means more EV range.  More EV range means more MPG's.  Enjoy your new ride.

Understood, newbs get a BIG pardon!  BTW, I own the record for lowest brake score: a lowly 7!!!!    But just remember, better brake scores means more regen.  More regen means more battery.  More battery means more EV range.  More EV range means more MPG's.  Enjoy your new ride.

Well, I won't be trying to intentionally break that record. ;)

Edited by slampro

42.9 Interstate with the computer updated, @70mph, about a 3 mpg increase.  Most trips non interstate, 60mph or less I am now getting 50+.   mileage 13000 miles. 

My everyday Avg is 44.2,  lifetime is 40.9

At 18 pages, it's probably a good time to restate the two criteria for this thread:

1) A trip that nets over 50mpg (the higher and longer, the more impressive)

2) Picture proof

We now return to our program all ready in progress.