50+mpg trips

C-MAXER

I am amazed@your achievements - contrast this to the Refund thread where I keep reading posts expecting STUPID 47MPG while travelling at 75mph....<- that is the definition of insanity, even the almighty Prii with 10+ years of hybrid experience doesn't even get close to that at those speeds. Some people's expectation are ludicrous...seriously. Oh, they are NOT hypermilers, thank god for that...hate to think they would give that word any more bad name around here. Yes, I had enuf of those crappy posts but you guys in this thread always make, at least me, smile with your great MPGs and none of these BS anti-hypermiling attitude I have been seeing lately.....well done fellas :)

Started taking my alternate route to work, update seems to be working fine!! (this is up from 47-53MPG)

Yes, I highly recommend investigating alternative routes not only on commutes but also the everyday errand runs (grocery store, dining out, etc).  You might be pleasantly surprised that a new route might be a) more economical or b) faster.  It's really great when they are both.  Breaks up the drudgery too since as they say variety is the spice of life. 

I agree, however, in my case, the alternate route adds about 10% more miles to my drive (29.1 vs. 26.6) and almost 50% to the time (55-60 vs, 35-40 minutes).  I look at total gas used, since the alternate adds 10% more miles, I need to get 10% better FE to break even (roughly).  Before the update, I was breaking even on the alternate route fuel wise (10% gain in MPG but 10% more miles driven = same fuel use), but it took more time, so it wasn't worth it for me.  This is the first time since the update taking my alternate route.  If I can average at least 58MPG both ways on the alternate, I will be netting about a 5% decrease in fuel use, so it might be worth the extra time.

♫ ♫ Whistle..♪.♫..Whistle..♪. ♫..whistle..♪..

;)

Yep...thats right...all I do is crank up the DJ tunes and bop-away....amazing how it helps the MPGs.

I don't care...I luv it....

♪...out of control...bring out the bottle....ooh...bella vita baby :rockon:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Brake score, smake scores...this is LA traffic...they are NUTZ here. I am enjoying your 59MPG Mr.McGyver ;)

...and a LIKE for his :airquote:  blammo....

Bingo on the LA traffic diagnosis

It's BECAUSE of that traffic that the score is so high tho

It's a no-win situation, if I leave enough space in front of me to modulate braking to 100%, some tool will dive in front of me and then slow down.

Best case scenario; everyone goes home alive and I get the excuse "yeah, my mpg would be higher if there weren't so many a-holes in Los Angeles."

Bingo on the LA traffic diagnosis

It's BECAUSE of that traffic that the score is so high tho

It's a no-win situation, if I leave enough space in front of me to modulate braking to 100%, some tool will dive in front of me and then slow down.

Best case scenario; everyone goes home alive and I get the excuse "yeah, my mpg would be higher if there weren't so many a-holes in Los Angeles."

I don't think the rest of the forum under how HEAVY the traffic gets around here at peak hours when I drive and I am not even talking freeways or the 405, just the surface streets so I can stay away from the main congested freeways. Its baddd...... :swear:

I also put supreme in at my last fill up, time will tell if there's any difference... not really seeing it as yet, which would make sense, because USUALLY adding a different octane gas just means your air/fuel mixture is not quite right, but Atkinson cycle engines are a new thing, it would be exciting to discover a loophole such as this...