50+mpg trips

C-MAXER

By evening rush hour, it was finally a cool enough day (in South Florida) for me to do even a short run without using the air conditioner.  I got these results without very much effort, in traffic, and not even in the best section for where I can usually get good fuel economy.  I even did a three bar burn going up the bridge.  If I lived in a place with moderate temperatures year round, I bet that I could pull some pretty good numbers.

I have the pic, but I am getting an error message that says that I have exceeded my allowed space for uploads.  So, you will just have to trust me, I guess. :headscratch:

Distance: 7.3 miles

6.0 EV

0.6 Regen

Fuel Use: 62.6 MPG

0.1 gal

Brake Score 98%

Vehicle Miles: 6047.6

Just for the purposes of documentation, I made my first natural 50+ this morning. Almost a round trip, I started about a mile from the house - nearly the same elevation - and ended at home.

post-1445-0-43858100-1383662107_thumb.jpg

Hoping for improvement with increased vehicle miles and better driving technique. http://www.fuelly.com/driver/bemyax/cmax Red Sky graph took a serious dip when cold weather and E10 conspired. We can't do anything about the weather. Definitely sticking to regular grade fuel, however.

Just for the purposes of documentation, I made my first natural 50+ this morning. 

CONGRATS!   :rockon:  Feels good doesn't it?  :happy feet:

Yes after both you and the car get more miles this winter, you should expect many more of these trips come spring.

Edited by fotomoto

Impressive especially this time of year for you! :rockon:

Ya I was pretty happy with that trip. She was going thru some rough two-tracks that day, with some fair sized rocks.

My average has started dipping otherwise, because of the short back and forth trips to work in the early cold mornings.

• 1 month later...
Another day of conditions that allowed a good test run without the air conditioner. 68.7 MPG over an almost 40 mile run.  I know that these are real numbers, because I got pretty much the same on the leg out as I did on the leg back, so no hills assisting or anything like that.  This shot is from the return trip.

I've had some good 50+ trips, but never over such a distance.  The longer I drive, the more that the numbers go up.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

• 3 months later...

I was just considering whether to resurrect this thread. 

It's totally a cheater trip - from 5500 feet elevation to 500 feet - but last weekend I averaged 80.4 MPG over 66.1 miles. It could have been a lot better if I hadn't wasted some gas on the freeway over the last 5 miles or so... 

cmax_80mpg.jpg

I'm far more impressed by many of you getting good fuel economy on regular, flat-ish runs, though!

Edited by Noah Harbinger

• 4 weeks later...

I actually did a little better last weekend (82-ish MPG), but forgot to take a picture. 

Now that I've got the fuel economy update, I'm curious how much better that cheater trip will do - it's got very long stretches of downhill, which would be perfect for a car that won't need to run the gas anymore! 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a 300 mile trip an achieved 45.1 mpg averaging 70 mph.

OK - I am sure we had a bit of a tailwind(although not that strong to notice when outside the vehicle) but it is hard not to achieve 40 mpg unless you have a lead foot. Into the headwind on the way out, we averaged around 43.

My best so far is 48+ mpg on my first highway trip of 35 miles. 

I am hoping for a 50+ mpg trip (other than the obvious short trips with outrageous mileage) and a 600+ tank. I generally fill it up when it starts squawking as I don't want to run out of fuel. 

We just returned from a 300 mile trip an achieved 45.1 mpg averaging 70 mph.

OK - I am sure we had a bit of a tailwind(although not that strong to notice when outside the vehicle) but it is hard not to achieve 40 mpg unless you have a lead foot. Into the headwind on the way out, we averaged around 43.

My best so far is 48+ mpg on my first highway trip of 35 miles. 

I am hoping for a 50+ mpg trip (other than the obvious short trips with outrageous mileage) and a 600+ tank. I generally fill it up when it starts squawking as I don't want to run out of fuel. 

Nick - please do something about these high MPG numbers these CMax drivers are reporting!

It is not possible. This is a 37MPG car accoridng to Consumer Reports! NOT POSSIBLE! 45.1 mpg averaging 70 mph - yeah right!

- where are all the Consumer Report advocates? Why aren't you supporting your magazine's findings?!?!?

*puff* *puff* ...is my CR check here yet *puf*....ph this sshhhiiiiieeeze is goood....*puf*

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Excellent A2gemini !  Isn't it a cool rush to get those numbers.  I was 'stuck' on city arterials today (instead of the freeway), 36 miles round trip and 58 MPG. This car is truly amazing.  Every time I think we have 'topped out', the numbers just keep going up.  Nick

(((Sorry Jus, those toaster review drivers are no where to be found on these threads.  Time to start a rip, burn & smoke'em thread for those dudes.)))

Edited by C-MaxSea

22+ pages of > 38MPGs, I'd like to see how the Toaster Reviewers explain this "anomaly" and you guys aren't pushing the hypermiling at all - thats the best part. If yall did, the Toaster Reviewers would be made to look like fools in clown suits in the middle of the Sahara Desert trying out for the 100m Butterfly for their company swim team.. :lol2:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I got 51+ from a 44 mile trip to tennis this evening.  Mostly highway driving, but since the air turned cooler (due to the rain) A/C wasn't on much.  So now I'm super stoked when winter arrives, because I think my mpg will go *way* up (we've been averaging around 45 mpg on the highway, so this was a big improvement.  Plus I had two other adults and lots of tennis gear and three coolers full of drinks and ice).

since the air turned cooler (due to the rain) A/C wasn't on much.  So now I'm super stoked when winter arrives, because I think my mpg will go *way* up

I see about 10 MPG better without the A/C. I was getting about 62 MPG around town, last winter.

That cooler air still hasn't reached down here. It's down to about 90F during the day, which I will take any day over the 96 that is the summer norm.