You cannot go 70mph and expect to get 40mpg!

Riddley

I've read posts from people complaining that they have been disappointed by the fuel economy results at highway speeds.  They cite the 47/47/47 window sticker and complain that they are not getting anything close to that - that they are actually getting mid 30s mpg.

Here's a clue: If you want to get 40+ mpg, stop driving 70+ mph.

There is ample evidence that you can drive 65-67mph for a very long time and average 40+ mpg. The 65-67 region of the speedometer is like the "twilight zone" for fuel economy in the C-MAX. Some refer to this as the "sweet spot."  For this to work, you only need three things: 1) engine warm (see coolant temp gauge in MyView), 2) sufficiently charged battery (¾), sufficiently warm day (50+ degrees). 

I've driven a commute to work at about this speed and the trip average was 48 mpg. What's more, the car was rarely in EV mode. Out of 32 miles driven, only 8 were in EV mode. The 65-67 mph "sweet spot" is real. A dozen forum members have had this same experience.  

Nay Sayers will say "driving less than 70 mph isn't safe" on some interstates.  If you believe that, then I'm not going to contradict you. I will however, ask you politely to stop complaining about your fuel results.  You are expecting the car to do something it was not designed to do. You are being unrealistic, and blaming the car. 

Be realistic. Drive realistic.  Don't blame the car.

Edited by Riddley

OK - let me clarify.

Unless you are either Jus, Recompense, Adair, ptjones, or...lets see... who am I missing... then you are not likely to get 40+ at 70+. 

(apologies to anyone I missed)

You guys are :shift:  freaks :worship: . I mean that as a compliment. :)

Totally taken as a compliment Riddley.....to be in the company of those guys!!!

I think people will start getting better and better MPGs. At the start it was ptjones and I (where the heck is ptjones nowadays!!!) because, lets face it, we both did our miles and had the weather in GA/AZ and CA, and then we started having more people come on board pulling some nice mileage aka recumpence, catsailor and some others are close mtb for instance, or catmobile....and JohninOhio, and Adair....jus give it time (and weather?). If I missed someone earlier than that, I apologize but thats the memory I had when I joined the board about in about Dec...

As I said, come end of summer, I would expect 6 to 10 people in the 600 Mile Club (including u Mr. Riddley, you're A prime candidate and Adair as she IS GOING TO GET HER 500 tank! She better....).

:)

The weather is the main reason I have not joined Fuelly. Buying my car in November living in northern Illinois, my mileage is only 44.5 average lifetime. The winter killed me. The worst tank I had was 38mpg. That was in single digit temperatures. Now that my daily mileage is never under 50mpg, my lifetime average will go up. I have 19,000 miles on my car, however. So, it will take a while to get it over the 47mpg epa rating. It will happen, though.

So much depends on driving type as well, not driving style, but in town versus highway, also is your area hilly or flat? It is very windy or calm in your area? Those things are critical to this.

Matt

I used to go 80mph to Virginia from Ohio through the Allegheny mountains in my 2007 Camry Hybrid, and got 40mpg. This is a real car.

So, yes. It can be done.

Maybe not with the C-max though.

I'm keeping my eye on how the Fusion Energi folks are doing on long, fast trips. If they are getting better results I may trade in my C-Max Energi in a year or two.

With all of the freeway driving I do the best I have seen on a tank was 578 miles(I was on fumes 1/2 gal left in the tank). I don't think I'll ever break into the 600 mile club. I don't want to run out of gas on the freeway 10 miles from a gas station.

Still love my Maxie. I figured up what I would have spent on gas in my old car and Maxie has saved me $200.00 after just 7 weeks. CHA CHING!!!!!!!!  Way to go Maxie

The weather is the main reason I have not joined Fuelly. Buying my car in November living in northern Illinois, my mileage is only 44.5 average lifetime. The winter killed me. The worst tank I had was 38mpg. That was in single digit temperatures. Now that my daily mileage is never under 50mpg, my lifetime average will go up. I have 19,000 miles on my car, however. So, it will take a while to get it over the 47mpg epa rating. It will happen, though.

So much depends on driving type as well, not driving style, but in town versus highway, also is your area hilly or flat? It is very windy or calm in your area? Those things are critical to this.

Matt

Matt, don't let the weather be a factor. I kept up with fuelly even when I had the 2 x 33MPG tanks in the snowing and freezing conditions to Mammoth, it is what it is. Same when I climb steep grades/hills and canyons as you pay for it one way and get back more the other way. I can definitely see 50+ MPGs if I just lived and just drove in the city all day and night, but I don't so my MPGs aren't as hight, plus its a fun game anyway. Cheers :)

There is ample evidence that you can drive 65-67mph for a very long time and average 40+ mpg. The 65-67 region of the speedometer is like the "twilight zone" for fuel economy in the C-MAX. Some refer to this as the "sweet spot."  For this to work, you only need three things: 1) engine warm (see coolant temp gauge in MyView), 2) sufficiently charged battery (¾), sufficiently warm day (50+ degrees). 

In case you need more evidence.  Second leg of a 500 mile trip over the past two days.

[/url]633F6486-0AF7-4A20-B6F6-55FF4D00DF17-371

Edited by fotomoto

I used to go 80mph to Virginia from Ohio through the Allegheny mountains in my 2007 Camry Hybrid, and got 40mpg. This is a real car.

I had one from that generation (08) and they are rated at 34mpg hwy.  I could eek out an indicated 36mpg keeping it at 65mph but 40mpg at 80mph the whole trip?  No way!  Maybe one way with a great tailwind and limited time at 80 (passing someone).   As they say, YMMV and yours did!  :)