2014 Cmax SEL - Transmission Issue - Need your wisdom please folks...

joshinvic

Hi all,

I hope that this finds you well.  I need some guidance as I am up against Ford and I THINK I have a leg to stand on, but I need some ammo...

Quick background:

2014 CMAX SEL

103,000 km's (64,000 miles)

In-service September 2014

I am the second owner.  Never bagged.  Local car to where I live.

The transmission is starting to whine.  After taking it to an independent shop and then to Ford itself, it's been confirmed that components in the transmission are starting to fail, and I need a new transmission.  Ford tells me they can't JUST order the specific parts as FORD doesn't make them available to order.

My local dealership has quoted me a hair over $10k CDN for the trans and labour.  The car is likely only worth $15k CDN, so not really worth it.

Here is my question/issue.  I have read on the Internet (big grain of salt taken) that other people have experienced issues with this transmission and that Ford has deemed it to be something that falls under the hybrid component warranty timeframe (up here it's 8 years or 160k km's).  I very much recognize that I am about seven months outside of the timeframe, but way under as it relates to kilometers. I tried escalating the case up through Ford executives to ask for an extension of the timeframe to include my car, and ended up dealing with an Executive Office Liaison. The woman I have been dealing with is incredibly adamant that the transmission is powertrain, and as such is covered by a five year 60,000 km warranty and due to that it is WAY outside it's warranty period.  I fully agree with her, IF it is a powertrain issue.  I would like to be able to make a case that it is a HYBRID issue and as such am only seven months outside the warranty timeframe.

I guess what I am looking to understand is if it's powertrain or hybrid.  They are simply saying TRANSMISSION = POWERTRAIN and no one is listening.  

I need some ammo to argue or I need to be told I am out of luck and to scrap the car.  I THINK it's an HF35 transmission.  If it is in-fact an HF35 transmission, I THINK that was a hybrid only transmission.  Wouldn't that by default make it a hybrid component?

Thanks for your wisdom.

Josh

(oh. and in my 27 years driving, I have had 10 fords and currently have a Mach-E Premium (up there that's an $85k car) on order.  I am strongly considering cancelling that as I have NEVER been treated so poorly.  NOT by the dealership, but by the Executive Office Liaison person).

It is a hybrid unique component which is covered by 8 yr/100,000 mi or 10 yr/150,000 mi if (first)sold in a CARB state.

Unfortunately if your C-MAX falls under federal rules then you have passed the 8 years, as it’s whichever comes first…

IMG_0799.png

Edited by jzchen
From ‘14 Warranty Info/Book.

On 4/29/2023 at 1:31 AM, jzchen said:

It is a hybrid unique component which is covered by 8 yr/100,000 mi or 10 yr/150,000 mi if (first)sold in a CARB state.

Unfortunately if your C-MAX falls under federal rules then you have passed the 8 years, as it’s whichever comes first…

IMG_0799.png

Thank you! I am seven months out of the warranty period. The woman at Ford Executive Relations is insistent that it is a “drivetrain” issue and NOT a hybrid issue. She said that if it were a hybrid issue she could look at extending the coverage. But since it’s “drivetrain” I am way out of coverage. 

I need to find that picture you posted to show that it is a “unique hybrid part”.

Thanks for you help!