Puddle Light upgraded to LED

I thought I had to remove the lenses, but it's easier than that. 

Angle the mirror up and to the side, you can see the soft rubber plug, pull it out with long needle nose pliers on the rubber part, not the wires - replace bulb, double checking for correct polarity and insert back into socket with pliers. Just that easy  :rockon: I used a 20 LED bulb http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006R34PB4/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

46389408566214-vi.jpg

49389408569152-vi.jpg

47389408567769-vi.jpg

52389408572372-vi.jpg

56389408576066-vi.jpg

So these turn on when you exit the car so you can see where you are walking (avoid the puddles)?

Yes, exactly, avoid mud, chewing gum, snakes, and other stuff you wouldn't want to step on.  :)  

The also turn on when you enter the car when you pull the handle or hit the unlock button on the remote.  Pretty cool feature. 

Hmmm.  Now I see them.  Cool!

Do you notice a difference in the lighting quality, brightness, areas lit up, etc.?

it is brighter but keep in mind it's cool white in the higher Kelvin range compared to the OEM incandescent

iirc some people perceive brightness differently.

ETA: i also did the license plate bulbs too, but in 5 led instead of 20 - don't want it super bright for people to see  :hysterical:

Edited by armoredsaint

I am adding things to my cart.  So, please post links.  Let us know how it looks.

I haven't even taken delivery, and here I go starting with the mods!  :)

be-careful who you're ordering from Amazon and double check the ship date, some of them are from China and it's 3-4 weeks. Not worth it.

I have Prime and ordered some other stuff with it to full fill their Add-on program gimmick. 

I did the puddle light mod today and like it!  Nicely brighter, whiter and cooler, as is less hot.  Here's a comparison from the rear of the driver's side with the mod and the un-modded passenger side, and the before and after driver's side.

Thanks for the idea!

post-629-0-58439500-1368256503_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-17302400-1368256504_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-61823800-1368256502_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-68694900-1368279371_thumb.jpg

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

My car is on order but I've read a bunch of things that I might want to do (if I survive the waiting).  Has someone started a thread for best modifications to make to your CMax?  That way I can stop taking copious notes every time I come across one of these great ideas.  

Anyone wanting to do this mod but worried about not having the proper tool.

My long nosed pliers were a little to fat to fit in the mirror.

So I used a regular ole flat bladed screwdriver, that's all just the one tool.

Fold the mirror out

Rotate the glass out and up

Ok ;) you may need a flashlight

pry the socket out, pull the bulb/socket out, you don't even need to pull the socket completely out of the mirror housing.

swap the bulb

test before reassembly, you may have to turn the LED around

push the socket back in the housing

pull the mirror in

adjust the glass

Took longer to type/spell-check than it did to do it.

Got ours done yesterday.  I though they had to be twisted a quarter of a turn for some reason, but as stated in the post here, they pull straight out.  My wires must have been abnormally short because I could barely get the bigger, longer LED bulb in there.   But the lights are in and it looks good, a cool, light blue instead of the yellow, dull glow.  

Much better, and shipping from Amazon was two days.   Thanks again!