Puddle Light upgraded to LED

I just upgraded my puddle lamps and lic. plate lamps with LED's.  I noticed they stay on very dim for awhile after

the door(s) are closed. The puddle lamps turn off sooner than the lic. plate lamps.  Must be the diode keeping

the voltage from draining off ??? They eventually turn completely off :waiting:

The lamps are controlled in groups by the computer in the BCM (Body Control Module). Some of the lamps are actually connected to their individual door modules (1 for each door) but those are networked with the BCM which is the one that probably sends out the commands.

If the BCM ever picked up a computer virus it could put on quite a light show  :happy feet:

Edited by jdbob

The lamps are controlled in groups by the computer in the BCM (Body Control Module). Some of the lamps are actually connected to their individual door modules (1 for each door) but those are networked with the BCM which is the one that probably sends out the commands.

If the BCM ever picked up a computer virus it could put on quite a light show  :happy feet:

Although the BCM controls the lighting, the lights don't remain on at a dim state with the stock incandescent bulbs. The puddle lamps, charge door lamps, running lamps and lic. plate lamps all come on when any door is opened. It's not a specific door that controls each one individually. LED's use way less power. They're polarity sensitive and have a diode to control current flow. I believe they might be glowing from the residual power that is stored in the circuit due to the lower voltage use. I do know the puddle lamps time out before the lic. plate lamps. All the lamps turn off at the same time. Just the puddle and lic. plate lamps have a very dim glow and eventually turn off. This is why I say it's consistent with voltage dissipation.

Edited by drdiesel1

• 2 months later...

Just got mine done today.  I went with 42 SMD bulbs for the cargo area.  I also managed to jam a 5SMD bulb into the glove compartment as well.  It was a little long but with a little pursuasion it went in.  Was a bitch to put it back in cause I couldn't figure out how to take the glove compartment out to gain complete access to bulb.  Either case it worked.

• 7 years later...