Puddle Light upgraded to LED

I ordered 2 sets of the 28(not 20)-SMD's,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KP7MIA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used 1 in the puddle lights and the other in the cargo area, also MUCH brighter, whiter and easy.

Now for the license plate.

The "one up", complete with bold and underline.  

Edited by Hatchman

That reminds me!

Are the 5 led license plate bulbs bright enough?

I had tried some of those auto supply 1 led and they didn't work out at all.

Not nearly bright enough and would stay on (very dimly) for an hour+/- after locking the car.

That reminds me!

Are the 5 led license plate bulbs bright enough?

I had tried some of those auto supply 1 led and they didn't work out at all.

Not nearly bright enough and would stay on (very dimly) for an hour+/- after locking the car.

the 5 LED is just bright enough for me, it looks good. the 20 led is way too much for your plates, draws too much attention.

• 3 weeks later...

So changing any of these bulbs won't cause the 'bulb out' message to appear?

Changed the brake lights on 2012 Focus with LED's and a message would come up every time!

Plus, after turning off car, the bulbs would stay half bright and faintly flicker for 30 minutes.

Edited by xanotos

I finally needed to place an Amazon order for something big enough that I could throw the following in:

Down the line, I may opt for the cigarette lighter plug battery jump.  If anybody gets a good one, please post the link.

I haven't installed anything yet.  The order just shipped.  I just hope I can get the guts up to start pulling things apart to make these nice little upgrades. 

Keep 'em coming! 

Changed the brake lights on 2012 Focus with LED's and a message would come up every time!

Plus, after turning off car, the bulbs would stay half bright and faintly flicker for 30 minutes.

No problems no bulb out ALL 3 upgrades easy!

No problems no bulb out ALL 3 upgrades easy!

i can't remember exactly, but i read somewhere the bulb out indicator is for the turn signals if you replace it with LEDs?

• 1 month later...

I have completed the following LED upgrades.....

License Plate

Cargo Area

Puddle

Tomorrow I will tackle the glove box.

LED's for the back-up lights are on order.

The results are well worth the time and effort......looks great.

License Plate

Cargo Area

Puddle

License Plate

Cargo Area

Puddle

Is the benefit just better/cooler lights or does it save battery (energy) usage too?

So I thought this was a cool upgrade and ordered the led bulbs for the puddle lights, rear cargo area and rear plate.  After replacing the rear plate and cargo area lights I went to do the puddle lights and had a Homer Simpson moment when I realized there are no puddle lights on the SE model!  I guess that option only comes on the SEL.

One other warning. When I removed the factory rear plate bulb (a 5 watt bulb) I noticed that it was burning the plastic around the bulb holder. Because LED bulbs tend to run cooler replacing the rear license plate bulb made be a good upgrade for safety reasons. Here's a picture of the rear plate bulb holder and both sides looked like this.

PlateBulb.bmp

Edited by dtorres

Is the benefit just better/cooler lights or does it save battery (energy) usage too?

LEDs give off less heat and draw less current. So, I am guessing they might make a slight difference in energy usage.The main reason to do it is because they look better(IMO).  From the post above, it seems the rear license plate may be a safety upgrade as well.

I just looked at my two license plate light bulb sockets through their lens and both showed brown heat discoloration around the rim, similar to the photo above. When I touched the lens they were very hot even though the lights had turned off minutes earlier. This is definitely a location that would benefit from LEDs.

UPDATE: Ordered some LEDs for the license plate lights today Tuesday. Pictures and report after they arrive.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi