Fuelly MPG Going Up!!!

Seth7721

Fuellys MPG went up by 0.1 mpg!!! the best part is the number of people with 39 mpg went down and the number of people with 40 mpg went up!!!!!!!!!!!! This is clearly showing that, as the weather gets warmer the C-max mpg goes up. I took the first photos on 5-3-2013 and the second on 5-5-2013. The photos have date and time in the right bottom corner.

post-836-0-59022300-1367762989_thumb.jpg

post-836-0-92486200-1367764302_thumb.jpg

post-836-0-56176800-1367764323_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seth7721

only problem is that as cmax gets more popular, new owners like us will add to the fuelly stats and initail breakin data shows LOWER mpg so it may go back down unless current owners mpg outweigh new owners mpg average.

with AVERAGE  being used instead of MEDIAN, all data is skewed by the extreme low mpgs  and  high mpgs. 

i wonder if any one has taken/ downloaded all data points from fuelly and done the median mpg to see the difference.

even one low mpg will skew average mpg whereas on median it wont

if i have the time i can do it

data/statistics are part of my job/career being a Quality Assurance Engineer   ;)

Edited by salsaguy

only problem is that as cmax gets more popular, new owners like us will add to the fuelly stats and initail breakin data shows LOWER mpg so it may go back down unless current owners mpg outweigh new owners mpg average.

with AVERAGE  being used instead of MEDIAN, all data is skewed by the extreme low mpgs  and  high mpgs. 

i wonder if any one has taken/ downloaded all data points from fuelly and done the median mpg to see the difference.

even one low mpg will skew average mpg whereas on median it wont

if i have the time i can do it

data/statistics are part of my job/career being a Quality Assurance Engineer   ;)

Hi SalsaGuy,

One advantage the new buyers have now is not competing with winter temps. :yahoo: Up to this point, maybe a month ago, anyone in the Northeast, Midwest, who bought a C-MAX not only had to deal with the learning curve that comes with driving a hybrid, but with sub-feeeeezing and many times sub-zero temps for the first 5-6 months of ownership. Not a problem for the next 4 or so months. :dogwalk:

Also, any new buyers who found the forum while waiting for their car will have the advantage of all the knowledge and experience all the early adopters have shared. :rockon:

It would be interesting to see the difference between the average and the median tho.

have to also worry about the losers at fuelly who created bogus accounts to fudge/ruin the cmax mpg numbers lower on purpose !!

:rant:  :rant:

median would help with those for sure

taking out the highest and lowest values in a data set are also common techniques to minimize skewed data

have to also worry about the losers at fuelly who created bogus accounts to fudge/ruin the cmax mpg numbers lower on purpose !!

:rant:  :rant:

median would help with those for sure

taking out the highest and lowest values in a data set are also common techniques to minimize skewed data

You are 100% right. Fuelly should require you to put in your vin# or something else to prove you own the vehicle you are reporting on. I hate the fact that some people try to ruin other vehicles reputation. Are they really that afraid Ford is going steal all of Toyota Prii sales? Oh, wait yes they are. Ford has taken 12% market share from Toyota since last year. Ford has 18% and growing and Toyota still has a whopping 58%, but that numbers goes down monthly. (Last year at the beginning of March Toyota had 71% of the hybrid market.)

Edited by Seth7721

I'm  in the Northeast and have definitely seen MPG improving with warmer weather. Even before it got warm, after about 5K miles the MPG began to improve.  I frequently get between 45 and 50 on jaunts around town, and around 45 on the highway. What kills the fuel economy is short trips on a cold engine. Basic stuff.

i pulled the data from the feuleconomy.gov site today and started the analysis and will contine with fuelly. we have more data fields to play with on fuelly to see any correlations but there are definite loser data in there. you can tell by the names used. i may remove those from the analysis. on fueleconomy we dont have the details and names so we can't tell as much. im going to try to pull avg temps for each state for 2012 to determine (prove) the colder states do indeed get lower mpg. when im done i can share the excel file on the files site (box.net or other) for those that want details and post the summary here for those that dont

Edited by salsaguy

i pulled the data from the feuleconomy.gov site today and started the analysis and will contine with fuelly. we have more data fields to play with on fuelly to see any correlations but there are definite loser data in there. you can tell by the names used. i may remove those from the analysis. on fueleconomy we dont have the details and names so we can't tell as much. im going to try to pull avg temps for each state for 2012 to determine (prove) the colder states do indeed get lower mpg. when im done i can share the excel file on the files site (box.net or other) for those that want details and post the summary here for those that don't

That would be excellent to see Salesguy.

...also, the members in the 600 CMax club has also gone up, 3 recently and fuelly doesn't include some big number members like Recumpence. Yeah, as I have been saying those Fuelly numbers will shift right. Keep going, let all other doubters eat their words ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Well, I'm trying to do my part. I filled up yesterday (I know, I caved at 500, but not out of fear, out of necessity. Today's activities didn't lend themselves to obsessively watching the M to E or gallons used while trying to carry on conversations with fam and friends in the car. ) M to E said I still had 59, so I know I could have done more.

Anyhoo, this tank average was 45.4 mpg!!!! Not too shabby, I'd say.  :wub2:

This next week looks pretty normal, so maybe I'll stretch it a bit. :sing_rain:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Correction:  39.3

With better mileage comes longer tanks.  I bet fuelly lags a month or more behind and we'll see it continuing to increase even when winter hits for those of you who have winters. (ducks and runs)

WOW, it flipped up .1 while we were talking about it! Cool! (be glad you ducked and ran!)