Advice on 2017 Ford C Max Hybrid Transmission Failing at 68,000 miles

SpaceKitten

I've posted this elsewhere & very new here so bare with me!

Bought Certified Pre-Owned 2017 C-Max (not plug-in) in early 2021 with around maybe 56,000 miles. I’ve gotten regular maintenance so far, but in July at around 68,000 I got a dreaded hum during acceleration. The right CV axel shaft was then replaced first cause the bearing was making a noise. Tires got replaced month & half later but was still humming. Finally found out it was the transmission & has since been repaired\rebuilt (not replaced with new unit) under my warranty. Hum noise now completely gone! While I’m SUPER DUPER thankful that my dealership could fix it I’m still in my own little dilemma.

My warranty expires in 6 months (not worried about hitting miles first) & wondering if I should pay for another warranty or trade in & buy a new preowned vehicle?

I wanted to pay off the rest owed on it in a year & own it. However due to the repair, I’m little worried bout longevity & if it’s worth investing in anymore. I garage the vehicle, I think used to be a fleet, and I’ve used regularly for in town work & an occasional 1- 2 hr long trip (I’d like to potentially take longer trips in the future). I’m unfamiliar with this hybrid & its potential problems as it ages(Engine/Battery/AC/ETC) especially since its a repaired tranny now. Any advice would help weigh my options, thanks!

On 10/19/2023 at 2:01 PM, jestevens said:

I'm glad they stepped up and covered the repair. I have a 2013 with 130K mi on mine still on the original transmission -- mostly rural driving .. I don't know if there is any one thing that dictates which transmissions will fail.

Glad to hear yours is still running.  

My 2013 has about 70k and is still good.  Ours is 80% city & 20% county driving.

Always wondered what the failure is.

I can tell you I switched for the first time to non low rolling resistance tires because the dealership didn't have my usual tire and I can tell there is more stress on the driveline during sudden braking. It shudders a bit, I really hope it doesn't knock the shaft too much.  If dealers weren't paying attention and installed a bunch of these with "regular" tires that might account for some of it?

My hope is that they'll wear down to 7/10 eventually anyway and then work more like LRR tire.

Edited by jestevens