Replacement hatch for 2017 CMax

Moerdogg

I was involved in a minor collision where a knucklehead hit me from behind at low speed, denting the rear hatch. It opens and closes fine but is cosmetically ugly. 

I was going to take it to a body shop but I found a complete hatch on eBay in the same color. It is from a 2013, mine is a 2017. The seller says it won’t fit a 2017 because “the lights are different”. A review online shows Ford changed the styling of the lights but they look to be the same shape. Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

All the listings I see have the same hatch fitting all years of the car. The tail lights did change in 2017, but all they did was flip the white and red parts of the lens and restyle the lenses slightly. They appear to be the same shape.

Here's how to take the light off the liftgate on a pre 2017, but they seem to mount the same way on every year. I doubt they changed the mounting lug locations even if the lens got restyled.

Compare.jpg

Edited by David McC

On 11/5/2023 at 11:07 PM, David McC said:

All the listings I see have the same hatch fitting all years of the car. The tail lights did change in 2017, but all they did was flip the white and red parts of the lens and restyle the lenses slightly. They appear to be the same shape.

Here's how to take the light off the liftgate on a pre 1917, but they seem to mount the same way on every year. I doubt they changed the mounting lug locations even if the lens got restyled.

Compare.jpg

Thanks for the detailed response! Sure looks the same other than color. I’m going to go ahead and order it once I confirm my cars lights mount the same way. Swapping the lenses does indeed looks very easy. 

The lens shape is not changed as far as I can tell, but the connector is changed, see below. White connector is 2013-2016, Gray is 2017+. Both look to be 3-wire (Power for each bulb plus commons ground, I assume). Figure I will splice in the existing pigtail to the new hatch. 

Screenshot 2023-11-06 064904.png

Screenshot 2023-11-06 064817.png