BigO Legacy AS Plus 225/50R17 98V XL for C-Max??? Opinion please!

James_Deen

Hi guys! Its my first topic here, so please excuse if I missing something.

I own a 2016 C-Max 103k miles. Im in Sacramento (warm winter). Honestly its not the best times for our family, so I have all four different tires on my car. Rear axis has OEM Michelin Saver AS and Ironman tire and have enought thread yet. Fronts are Mastercrafts Stratus AS and Nexen. Never did rotation since bought this car last year. Alignment was made, of course. Never had any issues having different tires wherever I drove or whatever speed I went. So fronts are almost weared off right now. I got a set of almost new 9/32 tires from Pick-n-Pull for $170. Those are BigO Legacy AS Plus 225/50R17 98V XL (they sell them new for $170 per tire). So the size is correct, but I'm not sure if this will be a good idea to install this tyres on C-max, because it seems that 98V XL means they are kinda heavy duty/heavy load and, perhaps they are too much/heavy for C-max suspension, will lead to MPG decrease etc. Should I worry about this or it's ok tyres and I can go and mount them? Another thought is...If my rear tires are still ok maybe I should replace only front axle? I heard that it is better to have more thread tires on rear axle, so I could mount these to the front wheels and rotate them with rear wheels.

Or...should I better return this 98V XL tires back and go with something else that is 93 or 94V standard load tires? I saw Kumho for $83 at Walmart, or Goodyear Assurance, etc. And just replace two tires as Im on very tight budget.

Please, any detail thoughts, opinions, tips.

Hybrids work best with low rolling resistance tires -- although a few of the ones I've bought over the years seem to start at 7/10" tread so you're paying a lot and getting less tire?  That formulation makes it easy to get up to speed and then be able to coast around town.  If the tires are too sticky then you aren't going to be able to coast on electric only and save gas.

I've used Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires, Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus and Pirelli Cinturato P7

I would recommend the Goodyears again -- or the Ecopia tire if you can find them (although they seemed noisier).

Currently I am using the plain Goodyear Assurance tires WITHOUT the fuel max -- which ARE stickier than usual, and do cause the car's drivetrain to shudder with sudden stops .. That's what the dealership had in stock that day and I thought maybe they would eventually wear down to 7/10 anyway.  There is a slight hit on MPG.