2013 C-MAX Hybrid, sometimes slightly jerks forward during deceleration

MMax

My 2013 C-MAX Hybrid SEL (120K miles), sometimes slightly jerks forward during deceleration when lightly applying brakes between 30 to 10 mph.

There are no check engine / warning lights coming on. Car has been great since I bought it new. All maintenance was done on time and no leaks. Brakes are good.

Would appreciate your help with suggestions on what actions I should take to address issue.

Thanks.

Hi MMax,

Do you mean that the regen might no be responding or glitching, hence the car creeps instead of slowing down for short period of time?
I wonder if a video might help provide some clue. Have you ever tried to drive the car in L gear instead of D (higher regen) and do you also have the same behavior?

Even though there are no lights on the dashboard, it might still bee worth trying to pull any trouble codes (for example using forscan which would be on of the low cost, most proficient tool for DIYers with the CMax)?

After you pull the codes, it may be worth disconnected the 12V battery and disconnect the HVB pack overnight to let some of the car module to reset, reconnect, reset codes, and pull codes one or two weeks later.

Edited by olidx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Olidx,

When applying breaks on  my 2013 C-MAX Hybrid SEL and slowing down as usual the car jumps forward for one second.  Mostly happens when going down hill when slowing down from 30 to 10 mph.

Yes it could be related to regen. Will try car in L gear. Will try to find someone who has forscan I can use.

On 1/2/2024 at 6:06 PM, MMax said:

Hi Olidx,

When applying breaks on  my 2013 C-MAX Hybrid SEL and slowing down as usual the car jumps forward for one second.  Mostly happens when going down hill when slowing down from 30 to 10 mph.

Yes it could be related to regen. Will try car in L gear. Will try to find someone who has forscan I can use.

Do you happen to hit a small bump or pothole in the road when this happens? Or happen to hit a spot it could lose traction? The traction control can be a bit finicky in these vehicles due to how it interacts with the regen and causes regen to very briefly stop completely when it kicks in. It's a bit unnerving for sure and unfortunately not much you can do about it other than being cognizant that it can happen and prepare for it if you know such a spot is coming up.

With the age of the vehicle it also may be worth getting the suspension checked. If it's worn and can't keep the wheels planted on uneven surfaces/bumps/potholes/etc., it can exacerbate this as well.

Source: I own a 2013 as well and know this issue quite well. I also know my suspension probably needs work at 90k miles.

Edited by cr08

Posted (edited)

It's more like a very quick "one second" jolt forward due to additional power from engine.  Perhaps another way to describe issue. Slightly braking, regen is on, CMAX car feels like it is being held back as usual while going down hill. Then a very quick one second jump forward occurs followed by regen working, car being held back as usual.  Happens infrequently, 3 out of 10 times.

Plan to test

- car in L gear

- car in neutral

- car with traction control on (luckily few bumps or potholes on roads)

Edited by MMax

Ran test drive in L gear, neutral coasting, traction mode and had no symptom of surge (jerk) forwarding while breaking.

Ran INNOVA 5300LaT scan tool and status had "No Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) present.

Local shop that works on Fords states they can run FORScan software as a scan tool 

Then this sounds like the traction control issue I mentioned. When in neutral, regen is disabled and you're relying completely on the friction brakes which won't 'cut out' when traction control triggers like regen will. It's not really an issue that can be fixed, just how this car behaves. But if you can confirm if the location this occurs happens to have some form of pothole, bump, or other irregularity, that would certainly confirm it I'd think.

Thanks CR08 and appreciate your comments. Have been driving the same roads since I bought CMAX new. Roads are mostly in good condition except for small bumps and wet from rain. I became aware of this "surge forward" issue about two months ago. Will follow your suggestions to check suspension and log what happening when issue occurs.