Consumer Reports: used Cmax is a best small car under $15000

djc

On January 8 2024,  CR posted an article  "Best Cars Under $15000".  The 2015-2016 C-max is recommended under the "Small Cars" heading, along with used Honda Fit, Mazda3, Toyota Corolla and Toyota Prius.

They say:

"The C-Max is an appealing all-around package, combining the fuel efficiency of its standard hybrid powertrain with the practicality of a five-door hatchback design. Based on the Ford Focus, it packs an impressive amount of room and utility into a small footprint. Its tall stance and low entry height make for easy access, and the cabin is airy and spacious. At 37 mpg overall, the C-Max isn’t as fuel efficient as the Toyota Prius of the era, nor is it as roomy. But it’s much quieter inside, making the C-Max feel solid and substantial. And it’s more fun to drive, with precise steering, responsive handling, and a luxurious ride."

My wife and I test-drove both the prius and cmax and the cmax was the far better driving car.  My only issue is the cmax has suspect build-quality issues well below the prius.  Properly built, the cmax is easily the better vehicle (just not better in MPG).

Greg

• 4 weeks later...

My C-Max certainly feels more roomy than any Prius I've sat in. I sit tall in a car, and my head barely fits under the low-slung Prius roof. The back seat serves as a claustrophobia screening test. I'm certainly not going to wear a hat inside, as I do in my car.  My sister in law, who's on her second Prius, is just five feet tall.