Jelly's at the dealership....again

Last week, at the urging of a friend of the family who's now retired but still very active with Ford racing, I sent an email and a hard copy letter to the executive offices about my SYNC malfunctions (that are happening almost daily now) and the Navigation issue from a couple weeks ago. On Wednesday I got a call from them, and they conferenced me in with my dealership. We set up an appointment for today with a loaner for me. They are going to do the navigation update and see if they can figure out why, on hot afternoons, none of the SYNC functions work. The person from the exe offices promised to call me later in the week to see if things were fixed to my satisfation.

I never expected a phone call from the ex. offices. I just figured they'd have the dealership call. I was really impressed with her concern, professionalism, and handling of everything.

I'll let y'all know how this all turns out.

Ixnay. Not THE 3.5.1. But some nav update. Maybe the same one Jus got. Yeah, 11 out of 12 times it's been above 75* outside. They're trying to figure that one out. They gave me a red Focus. I'm having to learn how to drive it. I miss my Jelly!

Ixnay. Not THE 3.5.1. But some nav update. Maybe the same one Jus got. Yeah, 11 out of 12 times it's been above 75* outside. They're trying to figure that one out. They gave me a red Focus. I'm having to learn how to drive it. I miss my Jelly!

They replaced my GPS unit. So far - its been FREAKING GREAT :happy feet:  yeah :happy feet:  yeah :happy feet:

Ah...I see you got a biplane like I did, good. Don't forget the goggles and a hanky to wipe off the spluttering oil from the engine :sing_rain:

They replaced my GPS unit. So far - its been FREAKING GREAT :happy feet:  yeah :happy feet:  yeah :happy feet:

Ah...I see you got a biplane like I did, good. Don't forget the goggles and a hanky to wipe off the spluttering oil from the engine :sing_rain:

Yeah, the engine noise bugged me, but it's got some ok technology. Maybe this is what SYNC w/o MFT looks like? Radio has good sound. And it's gonna get me back and forth to work, so I'm happy. 

Frankly, the GPS was the least of my concerns. I have a Garmin if we were to go anywhere new. But it will be good to have it working the way it should. But not having ANY SYNC functions, no radio, no phone, nuttin', now that was annoying. I hope they can figure it out. I hope they are wrong about 3.5.1 being the only fix.........then I'm stuck with this til mid-June!

First of all, let me say how thankful I am for having found this forum. :wub2:  I don't know who I would talk to about my car if not for you guys. You are the BEST!!!

Ok, so the service manager called me this afternoon. The good news is they couldn't find anything wrong with my car :yahoo: .....................the bad news is.........they couldn't find anything wrong with my car. :censored:

In other words, they couldn't duplicate either of my problems. :banghead: They checked the GPS and I have the latest version. They deleted my phone, did a master reset, let it cook in the sun for a while, and when they started it, SYNC worked fine. They drove it (Seriously messed with my soon-to-be 550 tank, but that's another story :stirpot: ) and the GPS worked fine. The mgr SYNCed his phone with the car and let it cook in the sun............and SYNC worked fine.

So, the working theory, for now, is that my phone may be the problem, and that it may be the cause of both issues, but the jury is still out on that.  :headscratch:

We are going to treat it like a food allergy. For any of you who have had food allergies, you'll know exactly what I mean. When I picked the car up this afternoon, I did not SYNC the phone. I'll drive it that way thru the weekend. If at any time SYNC is non-functional when I get in, I'm to call them. If everything works fine, then next week we'll SYNC the phone, without any apps. Next, if things work ok, add apps........then phone book. If at any point it's not working we regroup. If we get back to fully uploaded phonebook and all apps running, then I guess we wait and see if it happens again and go from there. I'm just happy they are not saying *Well, it's your phone, it's not our problem* They are willing to work with me to get a resolution.

The only downside (in more ways than one) is that the temps are going to be in the 60's :rant:  from Thursday thru the weekend.........and historically nothing has happened in lower temps........so I may have to go longer with no phone SYNCed but I can live with that, (if I can resist the impulse to pull that paddle to voice dial  :sos:

Hey, don't sweat it. I had to give my DroidX to Galpin Jaguar when I had issues with the Bluetooth and in the end they replaced the Bluetooth (allegedly super expensive in a Jaguar) and that fixed it. So it's not uncommon to pass your phone to the dealer afaik, but I trust Carlos (Galpin Jaguar) with my life. Hope something works out soon Adair, this is a pain in the butt I know..hopefully they can do something. Did they pull out the GPS and test the component or they just checked the version only? I think you have a bad GPS imo as its the same issue as mine.

Jus, I don't know if they pulled the GPS or not. I was in a hurry to get Asia to running practice and didn't get the paper work.....just my fob. I called and asked them to fax it to me at work, so I'll know tomorrow......But.....I got the replacement phone and did the re-SYNCing on April 18, and the first problem was on 4.26 with the SYNC and 4.28 with the GPS, so maybe they are on to something. I guess I'll take it a step at a time. But I will check that paperwork tomorrow.

Thanks Jus.

• 2 weeks later...

-----big sigh---- :rant2:

I picked Jelly up Tuesday afternoon after the 3.5.1 upgrade,  and drove it yesterday and this morning with no issues. Phone worked, SYNC buttons and paddle worked, GPS worked. YAY!!!

This afternoon when I left work at 5, it was 76* out. Started the car and..................phone showed connected, but I couldn't activate SYNC to make a call and the radio didn't work......no buttons, dials, paddles worked, altho the screen showed everything as active. :sos:

I unSYNCed the phone and called the dealership and drove straight over so they could see it, since they had not been able to duplicate it while they had the car last week. 

The service manager was there and he sat in the car for a long time, pushing buttons that didn't work and checking things out. :headscratch:  

Bottom line........now they think it may be a controller or something called a *pim*  that is expanding in the heat ( and not functioning) and contracting when it's cooler (and working perfectly). * *I refuse to wish for cooler weather so my SYNC will work!! No way!!!**They have to pull the controller, get the part # from it to order a replacement. 

I'm driving a Fusion for the next few days.  :runaway: