Have you ever snuck up on someone?

SnitGTS

So I was driving through the parking lot of my apartment complex this morning and there was a little old lady walking down the parking lot dead center so there was no way to get around her without being a jerk.  I slowly came up behind her and since I was in EV mode she never heard me, she had no idea I was there!  I crept behind her for what felt like several minutes as she made her way down the parking lot until she finally veered to the side, I felt I could safely pass her at that point and went for it.  Her reaction was shock (and a little anger I think) when I pulled up beside her and passed her! 

I felt bad but what can you do?!

My C-MAX isn't what I would call silent when running on the battery.  There is a low kind of unpleasant sounding humming or groaning kind of sound.  I don't hear it when I'm inside, unless I have the window open.  So, it's not really loud, but it is definitely there.

In fact, when I dropped by my family's home to show them the new arrival, I commented that I would silently pull away on EV as my parting demo.  So, I had the window open, and I started up.  I heard it, and I even remember my sister-in-law commenting something about it not being so silent.

It isn't that bad, but it is not what I would call a pleasant kind of sound.

My C-MAX isn't what I would call silent when running on the battery.  There is a low kind of unpleasant sounding humming or groaning kind of sound.  I don't hear it when I'm inside, unless I have the window open.  So, it's not really loud, but it is definitely there.

In fact, when I dropped by my family's home to show them the new arrival, I commented that I would silently pull away on EV as my parting demo.  So, I had the window open, and I started up.  I heard it, and I even remember my sister-in-law commenting something about it not being so silent.

It isn't that bad, but it is not what I would call a pleasant kind of sound.

My car is virtually silent in EV mode!  Right after I got the car I intentionally tried to sneak up on a friend as a joke, but he heard my tires rolling on the ground.  (anyone ever see the episode of the office where Andy sneaks up on Dwight in his Prius? Lol!)

Actually today when I got home from work (it's 97 here today...) the fan was on and making a good deal of noise when I pulled into the garage.  Maybe that's what you hear?

Edited by SnitGTS

Actually today when I got home from work (it's 97 here today...) the fan was on and making a good deal of noise when I pulled into the garage.  Maybe that's what you hear?

Yup, fan and a/c compressor along with tire noise are usually enough for most pedestrians to hear a hybrid in EV mode coming but if the ambient noise level is high, for example a parking lot near an expressway, then some sort of horn type sound may be needed.

I work for a vision impaired couple, she can see a little(but is more than legally blind and cannot drive), he is completely blind . They tune and repair pianos. I drive them and help when they need it. One day I was driving with her, in the '08 Escape hybrid. We were going to pick up her husband at their house. He was waiting outside. They do live on the corner of a pretty busy street, but there was very little traffic at this time. We were able to roll up in the driveway in EV mode one time, and he didn't hear us. We both sat in the car for a few seconds, waiting for him to get in. As he has done in the past when he heard us pull up. He didn't move until I rolled down the window to talk to him and the engine kicked on. She was in disbelief that he didn't hear us. He is in his early 50's, has been blind since he was a teenager, and she has been married to him for 30 years. She said that it is near impossible to sneak up on him. He will hear you, smell you, or feel the air move. But we did it in a car. She still remarks about it, and he swears we weren't really there. :hysterical:  Haven't been able to do it since.

After telling them about the Cmax, she said maybe we would be able to do it again. He says, "Yea, like to see you try". So, one day I will try, but he will be expecting it, so it won't be easy.

My wife parks her C-Max in a multilevel parking garage and has remarked how pedestrians are caught by surprise. I tell her to turn on the AC as you are exiting the garage, that makes plenty of noise.

Which raises a question: How much noise SHOULD it make? Do we only notice it on the C-Max because there's no engine noise to mask it?