Thank You Ford for the 3.5.1 and Liftgate!

For as long as I can remember being a member here, we have all been apopletic with anger over the 3.1.3 MFT and especially with the navigation issues ala "hey I am driving over houses...rivers....lake". As well, some of us were positive it was 1 Ninjitsu kick while others were 2 Ninjitsu kicks to open the liftgate.

A lot of it was directed at Ford for the poor MFT software and Microsoft got some heat as well. Yep, I am guilty.

At one point, some of us were thinking that Ford will NEVER going to release the 3.5.1 update at all....and literally I thought I personally thought it was the darkest hour...wallah....here comes the updates!

Ford has stepped up big time with the release of 3.5.1 and also the sleeping liftgate issue. Yes, the update has been a PAIN for some CMax owners but Ford and the dealership technicians/service advisors are doing their best. Some were smooth and some rough as rocks but be patient and remember, its covered by the warranty whatever happens. In time, I think mostly everyone will be happy with the update after so many months of frustration and mini-MFT wars.

So :happy feet: THANK YOU :happy feet:  Ford Motor Company for coming through with the 3.5.1 update for us early adopters and settling the 1 vs 2 Ninjitsu kicks to open the liftgate :rockon:

:hi5:

I hope this is not the last update as this car is certainly worthy of more MFT improvement to complement such a FANTASTICALLY DESIGNED and utilitarian vehicle :drool:

Cheers,

Jus-A-CMax

PS We know you lurk so thats why I wanted to thank you publically ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Yes, reading what some of you were going through with 3.1.3 just astounds me that Ford could even think of letting something like that out the front door. But it's far more important to be able to learn from mistakes than to avoid them in the first place - I hope this reflects a positive trend at Ford. I feel immensely lucky that mine came with 3.5.1, and happy that everyone else's CMax Experience will be improved by it. 

I do wish the screen operated with a lighter touch, but I'm guessing that's because they used a resistive screen, for all those people who drive in the winter with gloves?

Edited by Noah Harbinger

Yes, reading what some of you were going through with 3.1.3 just astounds me that Ford could even think of letting something like that out the front door. But it's far more important to be able to learn from mistakes than to avoid them in the first place - I hope this reflects a positive trend at Ford. I feel immensely lucky that mine came with 3.5.1, and happy that everyone else's CMax Experience will be improved by it. 

I do wish the screen operated with a lighter touch, but I'm guessing that's because they used a resistive screen, for all those people who drive in the winter with gloves?

Unfortunately, MFT has been out for a few years, and 3.1.3 isn't the first version that was buggy.  Every version has been buggy.  I doubt this new one will be any different.  It does however seem to get better with every release.

We'll see - it's not perfect but so far I haven't seen anything that would astound me as "inexcusably bad" the way people experienced on 3.1.3 and earlier. Hopefully it stays that way :)

What's interesting is that not everyone has the same problems as everyone else.  Valkraider reports just absolute horrible experiences with it which is quite different from my experiences.  I wonder if there are still some out there w/ hardware problems.

I think the reason that some are having problems with the install and others are not is due to the complexity of the installation.

According to the workshop manual, reprogramming the SYNC module (APIM) requires 17 steps which include installing a driver on the IDS diagnostic computer, configuring security settings in Internet Explorer, downloading more than 2 Gb of files, and time-comsuming installation steps.  An experienced IT person would struggle with the update.  I can only imagine how difficult it would be for a service tech that does not do this type of work every day. 

Jus is your new 3.5.1 still doing fine?  No bugs?  Ask your tech if he will hire out to various dealers around North America to install 3.5.1 for all of us LOL.  Maybe Ford will think of this and send him out on the road to help all the dealerships.  Vancouver, BC. could be first on his list and we will give him room and board and let him use Tip.

Jus is your new 3.5.1 still doing fine?  No bugs?  Ask your tech if he will hire out to various dealers around North America to install 3.5.1 for all of us LOL.  Maybe Ford will think of this and send him out on the road to help all the dealerships.  Vancouver, BC. could be first on his list and we will give him room and board and let him use Tip.

My 3.5.1 is going ABSOLUTELY fine! I have not had 1 MFT crash and my navigation has been spot on and I make lots of turns, never lost track. I am extremely pleased :happy feet:

One caution though - do not be the 1st to get the 3.5.1 - ask them first as to how many MFT updates they have done and how long it took. If the answer is more than 5 and about 2 hrs, then its a good wager these guys are good to go.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Good advice Jus.  I doubt whether my service assist reps. would tell me about how  they are doing with the upgrades, but when I bought my C-Max I did meet the service manager and he seemed nice.  So in September, I will go in and ask to speak with him directly before I book.  Since we are their one and only C-Max sold, I think there will be no other installations done in the C-Max but I gather other models are needing the 3.5.1 upgrades so if I wait until September as some of them should have been upgraded by then.

Watched my dealer struggle ALL DAY trying to install 3.51. System said it already had the latest software, but still showed 3.13. After numerous calls to Ford, they asked if a USB drive was installed. Yes, I had a MICRO USB thumb drive plugged in that the tech didn't see. 

Apparently this F...ed UP the entire process. Supposed to be ready tomorrow....

Edited by otbiker

Unfortunately, MFT has been out for a few years, and 3.1.3 isn't the first version that was buggy.  Every version has been buggy.  I doubt this new one will be any different.  e.It does however seem to get better with every release

..."It does however seem to get better with every release"...Unlike Microsoft which just seemed to get more buggy with each new release.  Combined with problems from constant virus and hacker disruptions.  Since moving to a Mac I'm a much more problem free user.  Virus interruptions are almost never. :) :happy feet:

My C-Max is going in for the 3.5.1 update (Customer Satisfaction Program 13A01) and the Liftgate re-program ( Program 13B06) on Tuesday, got the letters from Ford last week.

Will update what occurs, keep your fingers crossed.  I have removed the USB drive, as was suggested in antoher post.

More after the service.....

My C-Max is going in for the 3.5.1 update (Customer Satisfaction Program 13A01) and the Liftgate re-program ( Program 13B06) on Tuesday, got the letters from Ford last week.

Will update what occurs, keep your fingers crossed.  I have removed the USB drive, as was suggested in antoher post.

More after the service.....

You'll be fine :)

One thing - the 3.5.1 update is no guarantee the GPS will be fixed (if you even had this issue) but if you still do have GPS issue, Ford needs to replace the GPS module, its the ONLY cure. Hope this helps.

Got C-Max back with updates doen to 3.5.1 for MFT and the Liftgate update.

So far both seem to have worked, I will reload my USB and see if all indesxes like it should.

Service writer did comment that i have Navigation issues that Ford is aware of problems, and the prior treatment has been to replace the Nav unit/screen/etc. to the tune of $1200 each.  My dealer has been doing 3-4 of these a week.

Ford is looking at another solution involving a USB based loading of data or a new screen with a built in USB port for uploads?  (only repeating what I was told).  I have not had Nav issues other than for an occasional sticking of the location.  Was advised to bring it back if any issues are found.

Downside: My lifetime mileage went from 43.7 to 43.3 while they were running and idling the ICE for the install.  Arrgh!

Upside: I see the cool power usage display, but not sure how long it will be used.

Took my C-Max in today for the 3.5.1 update and liftgate update.  Apparently, during the updating, the technician lost the Internet connection and the disconnect crashed the MyFordTouch.  I'm not surprised since this is a Microsoft system.  The dealer needs to order a new Module ( I think they said an ATI or something like that)  Ford said they would not pay for a loaner car.  Dealer said they would pay for the loaner car which I will pick up tomorrow.

I had a new GPS module installed about a month or so and that fixed the GPS.  Everything was working fine.  I'm confident that the dealership (Harrisonburg Ford) technician will work hard to get the system back up and running.  He did a good job on the GPS and the dealer has treated me good.

I got my 3.5.1 update today. Originally it didn't work properly and my tech took it back in the shop and spend another hour doing whatever. I went home and didn't even get settled at the house when I received a call from my tech telling me it 's working fine now and I could pick it up. He told me my system crashed and they had to reinstall it again. They also told me at the service desk that have only a few C-Maxes come though. Bottom line is I'm very happy with my half day investment and every thing is working fine now. I did refer them to our site.  

They are working again today trying to get the update to upload.  They said the problem was with their wireless Internet connection which keeps cutting out on them when trying to install the update.  I drove a loaner - Ford Focus.  I prefer the C-Max.

I'm skeptical about blaming the wireless in the shop. In general, short-range wifi is very reliable, if you can get a connection to the router in the shop you should be fine. The real problem seems to be the servers at ford not being able to handle the download load. And it appears that the upgrade process requires a fresh download every time they attempt an installation, so they can't just download once and then install as needed. A poor architecture decision on the part of the Ford IT guys, more than anything else.

Dealer installed the update.  Everything works great. Dealer had problem using wireless connection.  When they hardwired their computer to Internet, the uploading worked fine.

Radio settings stayed the same

Lost phone book and GPS favorites.

We resynced the phone and phone book which took about 30 seconds.

Discovered that we could save addresses from the phone book to the GPS which saved us a lot of time reloading addresses in GPS favorites.

The new screen showing how the C-Max is using electric is OK but it is more informative for passengers than for the driver.

Love having the outside temp in center screen.

Edited by joe

Saw this note in the workshop manual regarding SYNC programming and the internet connection:

NOTE:

• The programming procedure deletes any phones that were paired with the SYNC® system.

To prevent timeout errors and to minimize programming time, a hardwired Internet connection is strongly recommended when programming.

• A file of approximately 80 megabytes needs to be downloaded from the online database for the programming. Allow extra time for the file to download.

• The diagnostic scan tool is required.  Ensure that the IDS version and patch software levels are up to date.

• Make sure the diagnostic scan tool is plugged into a power supply due to the length of programming time.

UPDATE -  After the updated MFT - I discovered they replaced my Navigation card with the A4 version.  I'm not sure what changes have been made in the navigation - hopefully updated maps.

The rear lift gate opens with one kick, even if doors are locked.

Edited by joe