Wheelskins

I had one of these on my last two vehicles, they worked quite well and stayed nice and soft for several years.  I just kept them lubed up with a good leather protectant.  Was a bit of a challenge getting the lacing in place especially around the wheel spokes.  You have to really lace up tightly to get a good look and then tying off the ends and keeping them from unraveling was hard.

I'm curious as to why you would want to cover a leather wrapped steering wheel with another leather cover. Aesthetics? Feel? Preservation of the original leather?

I would do it for a different color scheme to give it a more racy look.  They make one with black and red portions.  I had one of these on my GMC Syclone, looked very cool.

I'm curious as to why you would want to cover a leather wrapped steering wheel with another leather cover. Aesthetics? Feel? Preservation of the original leather?

The first time I did it to preserve the original surface.  Then I noticed that making the wheel thicker made it much easier to hold (at least for my hands).  I've since put one on every new car.  The install is a pain, but I think it's worth it.