Question regarding overriding the park interlock for towing.

Instr-Tech

I posted this over on the towing section about a week ago but no responses, so I thought I might find more interest here.......

The idea here is to move the shift lever from PARK to NEUTRAL without having the ignition on and pressing the brake to release the shift lever interlock.

Does anyone know what the voltage is to the park interlock solenoid. If it is 12vdc, I'm thinking I could use a momentary pushbutton SPDT switch hidden under the dash to activate the park interlock solenoid so I could move the shift lever to neutral without bothering anything else. Pushbutton would be wired as follows:

normally closed pole: connect to circuit that activates the park interlock solenoid' (maybe the stoplight circuit?)

common pole: connect to park interlock solenoid hot wire

normally open pole: connect to a always-hot 12vdc source with an auto-reset circuit breaker.

If this would work, all I would have to do to get ready to tow is push the button and shift to neutral. Nothing else would be affected....

Also, does anyone know yet if there are electrical things (like a transmission lube pump or cooling fans) that need to be active when towing?

Is there any source for a wiring diagram for the 2013 C-Max yet that would show the circuits involved with what I want to do?

What do y'all think?????

You guys have lost me here.  What problem/issue are you trying to fix?

l

We're talking about towing a C Max behind a motor home.  If you have an SEL, you put it in neutral and hit the Start/Stop button.  It goes into a sort of Accessory state with the engine off.  Some stuff in there is still running, however, and after 1-3 hours of towing the battery dies.  This happens repeatedly until the battery is trashed.

We're talking about a way to get the car in neutral without touching the Start/Stop button. 

l

We're talking about towing a C Max behind a motor home.  If you have an SEL, you put it in neutral and hit the Start/Stop button.  It goes into a sort of Accessory state with the engine off.  Some stuff in there is still running, however, and after 1-3 hours of towing the battery dies.  This happens repeatedly until the battery is trashed.

We're talking about a way to get the car in neutral without touching the Start/Stop button. 

Okay and thanks for the clarification.

"Why don't you hit the power button again to turn off accessory mode? The transmission should remain in neutral, no?"

That's what I said. The car stays in neutral, the instrument panel goes dark except for a message that says "Put it in Park".  After a while, the message turns off.  After 1-3 hours, the battery is dead.  If you were dumb enough to lock the doors, you can't open them until you remember the secret metal key that lives in the key fob.  By the way, not everyone gets the secret key, some people have reported no metal key in there.  

• 4 months later...

Has anyone towed the C Max for long distances with the shifter jumped out (not in accessory mode)? I'm getting my C Max hooked up to my motor home and was wondering if any problems were found doing this step. If all things are OK example (no trans damage)then how do you remove the shifter boot with out damaging it? Thanks for any input.

Has anyone towed the C Max for long distances with the shifter jumped out (not in accessory mode)? I'm getting my C Max hooked up to my motor home and was wondering if any problems were found doing this step. If all things are OK example (no trans damage)then how do you remove the shifter boot with out damaging it? Thanks for any input.

Greetings and Welcome

We have a little over 3000 towed miles on our cmax sel.

Zero problems.

Have you seen this thread? Lots of good info about using your cmax as a toad. It's close to the bottom of the home page under

"Cargo, Hauling, Roof Racks & Towing"

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/374-recreational-towing-behind-a-motor-home/

How far along are you in getting your car ready to tow?

We ran a charge wire from the HM it has 12V and ground on the 7way plug.

Most if not all of us are installing tail/brake lights in the cmax, there is plenty of room + you don't have to disturb the cmax wiring.

Both of these are easy DIY's or shouldn't cost much to have your RV dealer do the install.

By the way, not everyone gets the secret key, some people have reported no metal key in there.  

All cars come with the metal keys.  They're in the pack the dealer hands you or in the glove box.

You open them and install them into the FOB's.

If they are not in the pack, the dealer is responsible for getting them for you.

Edited by drdiesel1

Greetings and Welcome

We have a little over 3000 towed miles on our cmax sel.

Zero problems.

Have you seen this thread? Lots of good info about using your cmax as a toad. It's close to the bottom of the home page under

"Cargo, Hauling, Roof Racks & Towing"

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/374-recreational-towing-behind-a-motor-home/

How far along are you in getting your car ready to tow?

We ran a charge wire from the HM it has 12V and ground on the 7way plug.

Most if not all of us are installing tail/brake lights in the cmax, there is plenty of room + you don't have to disturb the cmax wiring.

Both of these are easy DIY's or shouldn't cost much to have your RV dealer do the install.

Thanks wab for this info. The MH dealer is hooking up what I need to tow the C Max. I Had the installation added to the deal so I really don't know what will be done to my car. Is there anything I should look for when I pick it up or ask when I drop it off on 10/24/13

Did your deal include a charge wire from your MH?

Ask if they are installing new sockets/bulbs or planning to tap into the c-max wiring?

"Most if not all of us are installing new tail/brake lights in the cmax, there is plenty of room + you don't have to disturb the cmax wiring."

If they tap into the C-Max wiring :kookie:  check EVERYTHING attached AND UNattached to the MH.

After they finish I would ask them to keep the MH overnight and drive, drive drive the cmax!

Hope this helps

wab