METROMAN

We took the C-Max in for the PCM update and roof headliner fix, had them look at the buzzy A/C also. They checked oil & refrigerant levels, made sure there were no leaks or kinks in the lines, then did something unusual: we walked out onto the lot and fired up 3 brand-new C-Max'. Bottom line: they all buzz like this on startup if the A/C is on. My theory is that most new owners simply didn't notice it at first since you don't hear it inside the car with the windows up.

So I have stopped worrying about it. :drool:

The A/C unit is an electric pump. All pumps make noise while pumping ;)  As for the dealer checking the oil level,

that's a B/S statement. The only way to check oil level is to drain the oil in the compressor and capture the rest from the

Freon and measure them together.  Not gonna happen. I really doubt they even checked it. It's easiest to compare it

to another unit like they did. Showing the customer proof is the best way to resolve a NON issue, issue. Otherwise, they'll

always have doubts and continue to pursue the noise as a problem. Happy Motoring :love_shower:

Edited by drdiesel1

The A/C unit is an electric pump. All pumps make noise while pumping ;)  As for the dealer checking the oil level,

that's a B/S statement. The only way to check oil level is to drain the oil in the compressor and capture the rest from the

Freon and measure them together.  Not gonna happen. I really doubt they even checked it. It's easiest to compare it

to another unit like they did. Showing the customer proof is the best way to resolve a NON issue, issue. Otherwise, they'll

always have doubts and continue to pursue the noise as a problem. Happy Motoring :love_shower:

true they make some noise, but when they sound like a weed whacker that can be head in the cabin of the car and by the people in the car next to you there is an issue. Took it into the dealer, dealer fork lifted the A/C per tech, replaced and no noise anymore

true they make some noise, but when they sound like a weed whacker that can be head in the cabin of the car and by the people in the car next to you there is an issue. Took it into the dealer, dealer fork lifted the A/C per tech, replaced and no noise anymore

Yes! They did have a TSB for noise issue's due to leaks.  I never heard mine, so I'll just continue to enjoy it.

I rarely use A/C here anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

We bought our new C-Max Energi  a few days ago and with 140 total miles on the vehicle we noticed "The Noise" as did our neighbor who owns a Prius !  Granted I did tell them that our C- Max was a Prius killer so without a doubt  the "Game" is on !  ...I honestly thought an animal crawled in the engine compartment. I headed to the internet and this forum. So far I have called Ford customer support and they told me I had to go through the local dealer. I'll touch base and post findings as they progress !  until then ....we live with this ridiculous

.EEERRREEEEEEGRRRRRRRRRRRGRRRRRRRRRRR !  :  -  )

Update to dreaded C-Max "Dead squirrel" under the hood sound:  Called ford national customer service ..they informed to go back to dealer ...I went to the dealer.. they listened to the noise and wrote up a notation on the work order as " No fix currently available from ford"
The maintenance manager was great and said he has no way to help... ok ...I'm am currently back on hold with Ford national customer service and looking for more data, and an engineer to talk to !
I will paste this info and suggest everyone with this issue to please please call and at least let them know you want it fixed..or it will never be taken care of.....more to come.....

Phone

Do you have a question about Ford, Mercury or Lincoln?

Ford and Mercury United States

1-800-392-3673

1-800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired)

Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.- 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time

Saturday, 9:00 a.m.- 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time

Ford and Mercury Canada

1-800-565-3673

Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. Local Time

Lincoln United States

1-800-521-4140

1-800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired)

Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.- 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time

Saturday, 9:00 a.m.- 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time

Lincoln Canada

1-800-565-3673

Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. Local Time

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I just joined this forum today.  I have had my CMAX for 1 year now.  I love it!  It is so much more fun to drive than my minivan.  However, I do not like the loud sound it makes when the AC is on.  I bought it in October 2012.  It was cool then, so no need to use the AC.   Then in the late spring I had to use the AC and heard a really loud noise. It was very noticeable with the windows down.  I agree with many of you that we didn't hear it initially because of the sound proof windows.  Finally, in June I took it to the dealer (it is about 40 min. from my house) and they replaced the air compressor and lines.  They had it for two weeks.  I brought it home and could still hear the loud buzzing.  I took it in again for the same problem.  They gave me a rental car, thank goodness.  After having my car for 2 weeks in the shop they had me come down so that I could show them what the problem was.  It was 105 degrees that day.  So I get there and at first it was making the humming noise and they were trying to convince me that it was normal and then steering wheel started vibrating with the air on.  This time they had it for a total of 5 weeks!!!!  Unbelievable!!!!!  It is not vibrating now, but I still think it is loud when the AC is on.  The noise usually stops after 5 minutes or so. I wish I had known about this forum earlier. I thought that I might be the only one having this experience.   Definitely call Ford Customer Service.  You will get a claim number and tell you what to do next.  Good luck to all!!!