Frozen system and clueless service departments

Just my continuing *SYNC locks up completely on hot afternoons* issue....the same one that's been going on since mid-April. APIM replacement didn't fix it, and with temps in the 90s, it happens every day now, lunch and on the way home. No radio, cd, voice navigation, nuttin' honey!!

So I dropped my car off at the dealership today. It was in it's Frozen SYNC state, but of course it was too late to hook it up so the engineers could see what's going on. They will try to replicate the problem tomorrow, if the weather cooperates. 

I took a print out of this thread in the forum, plus the Post # 1 of the 600 mile club. The service manager commented on how many *leaves* I had on my display, and my 45.6 mpg on this tank. I told him the only thing keeping my car from being 100% was this SYNC issue. They said I am the only car at this dealership with this problem. At least I know now that there are 3 others with the same issue. I would love to know what the common denominator is.

I drove away in a little Silver Bullet Focus.

Had the same problem once it started to get hot here in Chicago. System worked fine while it was cool, but after sitting in the hot sun, NO SOUND and no control. Couldn't hear anything, no source selection, no control of the power button. System seemed to be working because the nav. displayed the correct location and you could watch the song titles change, but no sound.

Took it to the selling dealer and showed them phone video of the problem and they had it for 4 days. Replaced the APIM module. Dealer said this fixed the problem. Drove the car home and system worked. Next day after sitting in the hot sun, same problem. Drove car to my local dealer and showed them the problem.

Took car to local dealer, they had the car for 4 days and were finally able to replicate the problem. They replaced the audio control module (ACM) and returned the car to the parking lot and left it sitting in the hot sun. When I picked up the car last night the system worked fine. Re-paired my phone and everything worked.

We'll see how it works now that I have it back and can fully test it in the real world

Hi Samszr2,
I'm going to send you a message and post this on the forum too, in hopes to hear if your latest ACM replacement solved your SYNC issue. Mine is at the dealership again. They are waiting for it to happen while in their possession so they can try some things engineering wants them to try. Temperatures are not cooperating here today.....didn't get out of the 70s.  I'd like to be able to report that replacement of the ACM did the trick for your car...........if it did. Hope to hear from you.

Adair

I'll try and remember to post the results once it warms up again here.  Had a Ford engineer at the 2nd dealership the day I brought it in.  Said he had never seen anything like it before, so doesn't seem to be a problem they know much about.  Hope my fix works and everyone can get their's fixed.

Well the temps were in the upper 80's today and since the car is Black/Black, it was hot to the touch inside the car.  Started the car and everything still worked.  It just might seem that the replacement of the ACM did actually fix the problem.  Would be interested to know if anyone else has had their problem fixed by replacement of the ACM.

Well the temps were in the upper 80's today and since the car is Black/Black, it was hot to the touch inside the car.  Started the car and everything still worked.  It just might seem that the replacement of the ACM did actually fix the problem.  Would be interested to know if anyone else has had their problem fixed by replacement of the ACM.

YAYAYAYAY!!! Samszr2!!! I have been hoping to hear from you on here! I had my ACM replaced last week and picked the car up on Friday. It's been very cool, cloudy, rainy since then. Of course, no problems. Tomorrow and Friday are supposed to be warmer. I confess to holding my breath each time I start the car in the afternoons. So far, so good. I can report back more the first of next week. I hope for all of us who have had this problem that this is the solution.

Thanks so much for posting!!

YAYAYAYAY!!! Samszr2!!! I have been hoping to hear from you on here! I had my ACM replaced last week and picked the car up on Friday. It's been very cool, cloudy, rainy since then. Of course, no problems. Tomorrow and Friday are supposed to be warmer. I confess to holding my breath each time I start the car in the afternoons. So far, so good. I can report back more the first of next week. I hope for all of us who have had this problem that this is the solution.

Thanks so much for posting!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, has warmed up some and the system is STILL WORKING!  Next week is supposed to be in the 90's, so that should be the test.  I'll try and remember to post an update next week.

I had the problem I n 70s and 80s before, but since the new ACM, no problem! I'm glad to hearthe same for you Samszr2!

Thanks for the great information. I am having the problem with the freezing. I tried to explain to the dealership but they just don't get it. Now I can show them the I am not the only one with the problem. What I have found that works for me is to turn off the system before leaving the car and open the windows a bit. And when I forget it freezes. Thanks all

GED, I had the same problem from April until early August. Finally, a bunch of Ford Engineers came to my dealership, Briarwood Ford in Saline, MI, to see the problem first hand. They hooked up at least 2 computers to the car and downloaded a bunch of information for 2 hours, all the while it was in the *frozen* state. They recommended replacing the Audio Control Module (ACM). That was the first week in August. We had cool, wet days for weeks it seems, but finally some 80+ days, and (fingers crossed, knocking on wood), it seems to be working. There should be some information on record that would help your dealership get in touch with the right engineers and get you started toward a fix. Please let me know if I can provide any information that might help. Good luck!.

Well, temps have now reached into the 90's here in Chicago and much hotter inside a black/black car.  The good news is that the system is still working.  "Frozen" system has been fixed by replacement of the ACM.

How have to schedule the appointment to have the two recalls performed (85 mpg and B-pillar padding) along with the V3.6 update.

Hope the rest of you get your systems fixed.

• 1 month later...

It's been about 2 months since the ACM was replaced and I'm happy to report that everything is working perfectly!! No *frozen* system on start-up even on the hottest days with the car baking in the sun for 8 hours. Radio, phone, screen......everything works!!! I don't even hold my breath when I start the car in the afternoons now!

I appreciate the input from others here, and hope their issues have been resolved as well. Thanks to the engineers who came out to meet with me, and to Briarwood Ford for treating me with respect from start to finish.