The aero mods have begun........

Recumpence

Well, guys the aero mods have begun.

I made thes wheel discs a month ago, but removed them almost immediately. I wanted to wait until I made my new grille before I installed the discs to see a larger improvement all at once installing them both.   :)

Anyway, I expect to see about 2mpg improvement with these mods. We shall see.

The next mods are the upper and lower grilles, a rear belly pan under the car, and a 3 inch lower chin below the nose. These mods should total about 5mpg gain on the highway and around 2mpg in town. My mpg averages around 57 to 58 right now. So, I hope these mods will put me over 60mpg consistantly.

I have about 4 hours in the grille and 1.5 hours in the wheel discs.

Here are some pictures. Enjoy!

Matt

post-85-0-30639000-1372556031_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-93014400-1372556039_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-48816600-1372556054_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-94877500-1372556068_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-96281000-1372556077_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-93634300-1372556088_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-20111200-1372556098_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-27376700-1372556107_thumb.jpg

Well, guys the aero mods have begun.

I made thes wheel discs a month ago, but removed them almost immediately. I wanted to wait until I made my new grille before I installed the discs to see a larger improvement all at once installing them both.   :)

Anyway, I expect to see about 2mpg improvement with these mods. We shall see.

The next mods are the upper and lower grilles, a rear belly pan under the car, and a 3 inch lower chin below the nose. These mods should total about 5mpg gain on the highway and around 2mpg in town. My mpg averages around 57 to 58 right now. So, I hope these mods will put me over 60mpg consistantly.

I have about 4 hours in the grille and 1.5 hours in the wheel discs.

Here are some pictures. Enjoy!

Matt

Very cool,  what's that grill blocker made of?

Don't sweat the look, that is a much better look than the pedestrian grill. Crap..did I just type that... :doh:

One day when I am in the money, I would love to give my car to Galpin Auto Sports to see what mods and finish they can do with it. They do A LOT of really cool custom jobs but a hybrid-nology is something I doubt they are experts in. We'll see.

Great stuff Matt, lets see 'em wheels. Are you sure you don't want to matt finish the car to make it ubber, stealth looking? c'mon...I think you want to..... :stirpot:

I posted pictures of the wheels in another thread. There isn't anything to see, really. They are clear Lexan wheel covers. You really cannot even see them unless you are looking for them.   :)

I am looking forward to having matching grilles for the upper and lower as well. I should gain another 1mpg or so with those (highway).

Oh, in case you guys are wondering, the upper most grille is the opening for the engine air intake, the center [large] grille is the AC condensor, and the lower grille is the inverter radiator. The engine radiator encompasses the center and lower grilles [both].

The lower grille will have larger openings than the center grille shown. I want to make sure the inverter cannot overheat.

Matt

First I want to say that looks amazing!  I would buy that just for the look, the extra mpg would just be a bonus.  I have some questions about it:

Wouldn't you need to create two sets of grills, one for winter and one for summer?  

Do you think a cover over the fog lights would be beneficial?

Do you think a modification like this void your warranty?

I can't wait to see the rest of your work!

The warrantee is a good question. First, the center grille only affects the AC condensor and I almost never run the AC (the engine radiator exntends from the center grille all the way to the lower grille). My car will be out of warrantee sooner than most anyway. If I have to, I will remove the grille to bring the car in for service if I get worried.

The grilles I am making will work fine in summer or winter. I can always make the openings larger with removeable panels for summer.

I remember Ford saying that their 2010 focus benefits 1/4mpg by covering the fog lights. I have considered heat molding lexan covers for them. I may do that at some point.

Matt

I agree. The thing is, the rear of the mirror adds more drag than the front does. So, a boat-tailed mirror would do the most good.   :)

I removed my passenger side mirror for a while. But, turns out the temp probe is in that mirror. So, I put it back on. Besides, my wife hated being in the passenger seat without being able to see a mirror.

I have been told that mirror deltion (deleting both mirrors) adds 1.5mpg to the mileage. That is nothing to sneeze at for such a simle mod. But, I cannot drive with just the center mirror.

There are some really awesome looking petite outside mirrors meant for racing purposes. I may look into getting a pair of those.

Matt

Interesting...You obviously have some access to a shop to cut that opening so smooth?  Also so fluidly around the license plate.  I'm not familiar with that material.  I have plastic store (TAP Plastics) here in my area which I buy all my acrylic from for my many fabrication projects.  They will custom laser cut any plastic you might need.  How is that secured to the bumper cover?  Pop rivets?  Did you have to modify the stock mountings for the factory grille?

I cut the panel with a saber saw and a masonry bit. The oval holes were cut with a 2 inch holesaw on my drill press and connected with the saber saw. The license plate opening was cut with the saber saw, then final trimmed with a Dremel. It is fastened to the facia with stainless screws threaded into an overhanging lip that is behind the grille. The stock grille will snap directly back on covering the holes.

I have a fully equipped (though VERY small) machineshop.

Matt

First, the center grille only affects the AC condensor and I almost never run the AC (the engine radiator exntends from the center grille all the way to the lower grille).

The engine radiator may be the only component you see behind the center grille but that doesn't mean it's the only component dependent on that airflow. There are computers, wires and other components that don't have coolant lines running to them but that are dependent on the natural airflow of driving. Anything that blocks the airflow in warm weather could create problems with overheating unbeknownst to you of components that don't have a temp gauge for you to monitor, but that are dependent on the grille being open and having air coming through

Very impressive work Recumpence.  Well I gave that air flow a big test over the weekend while driving in 110 degree heat in Sacramento, CA with full MAX A/C running.  Still pullout 45 Av MPG except in the hilly sections of my driving.

Edited by mtb9153

The engine radiator may be the only component you see behind the center grille but that doesn't mean it's the only component dependent on that airflow. There are computers, wires and other components that don't have coolant lines running to them but that are dependent on the natural airflow of driving. Anything that blocks the airflow in warm weather could create problems with overheating unbeknownst to you of components that don't have a temp gauge for you to monitor, but that are dependent on the grille being open and having air coming through

As I said, the AC condensor is back there along with the top half of the engine radiator. Trust me, I had the front of the car apart, that is what is back there.

So, I have some numbers for you;

Over the last 8,000 miles I have averaged 54.5mpg. If I really try hard, I can average 57 or 58mpg. I have seen days up at 60mpg, but I have only had a couple of those and those days are done with pretty much no driving over 45mph. Again, I struggle to hit 57 or 58mpg in a given day of 130 miles of driving. Well, today (120 miles) averaged 61.1mpg! Now, granted that may be a one time anomaly. But, I highly doubt it. Why? Because today I had some interstate driving I did and it is very windy, two things that normally kill mileage. But, again, I rolled into my driveway at 61.1mpg for the day.   :)

Obviously, I need to see what my days average over a more extended period of time. However, I am more than excited with these numbers. Hopefully I can see another 3mpg improvment with the additional mods I have planned.

I will keep you all posted as I put more miles on the car.

Matt

I can't say with absolute certainty for the hybrid, but this brochure for the Energi indicates the inverter is liquid cooled.  It may go to the radiator you're blocking.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.ford.com%2Fimages%2F10031%2F2013_CMAXHybrid_Hero.pdf&ei=NAnSUcnEH4-a8wT47oDAAg&usg=AFQjCNGQ8r6l9S9aPX-lHjeG1KMl0xzSag&bvm=bv.48572450,d.eWU

On the Energi forum someone posted X-Gauge codes for things like inverter temperature and motor temperature, but they did not work for me.  (I did get battery temperature, state of charge, and interior temperature to work, though).

http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/topic/1293-scangauge-x-gauges-programming-c-max-ffh/

Even if you can't read the temperature, I would hope the car's computer monitors it and would throw a warning light or start cutting power before damaging itself, but it is something to think about in hot weather.

Here are pictures of the lower grille.

As I already stated, the inverter is behind this grille as is the lower half of the engine radiator. Because the inverter is there, I purposely kept the airflow up quite high. I have 70% of the airflow of stock. The big gain in FE will not be primarily from less airflow through the radiator and inverter cooler, but from the flush mounting of the grille panel. Rather than catching air like a parachute, most of the air will be diverted around the nose of the car with only the air hitting the openings making into the radiator. Most cars recess the grilles to add visual character to the nose of the car. However, this recessing acts as a small airbrake. My grille will still allow a decent amount of airflow into the radiator without the airbrake affect.

As I said about the center grille, I am not 100% sold on the look. However, it is growing on me.

Oh, I may install some stainless mesh behind the grille oval openings to add some class to the look and help catch bugs and other small debris.  :)

Matt

post-85-0-23593900-1372725368_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-35170600-1372725379_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-42352500-1372725387_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-05641200-1372725394_thumb.jpg

Nope, not yet. So far I have done the wheel discs and the two grilles. I still need to do the upper grille, lower chin air dam, and the rear pan. I am hoping for another 2mpg with those additional mods. The guys at ecomodder say 2mpg is a conservative estimate. I also want to tint the windows. That is supposed to be good for one mpg due to less use of ac and running with windows down on hot days.

Matt