Can you run all Electric when you're out of gas?

armoredsaint

Can't speak for the C-max, as we are due to get ours within the month. However, I can tell you that I have done it several times with our Escape Hybrid. I have gone past 0 to empty to the point that I was running on battery for a block or so. The engine powered me for about 10ish miles before it cut off. I stopped at the next station that was about a city block away. Didn't want to test beyond that, as the hybrid battery was very low.

The C-Max is based on the same hybrid system as the Escape. The C-Max is upgraded, and performs better. I would assume it would be roughly the same as far as your question.

Maybe, but don't ever do it. Depending on your state of charge you might go pretty far but there is no way to predict exactly how far before you get stuck.

The real problem is that you will get so low that you might draw the sludge from the bottom of the tank into the filter and clog things up. Or you might dry run the fuel pump which could burn it out. Much better to plan ahead and fill the tank before that point. It isn't like you don't get ample warning. You might get away with it now but the chances of problems increases as the car ages because the level of sludge is constantly increasing as the car gets older.

I have read of Prius owners who pushed their range with disastrous results.  Attempting to make it to a station, they drove too far on the battery/EV mode with the system, in emergency mode, allowing them to dip further than normal into the battery levels until the car was barely moving.   Even with more gas added, failsafes didn't allow the car to restart and required the car be towed to a dealer where a special factory charger had to be ordered and shipped in to "revive" the dead pack.  

Ford's protocol may be completely different and not allow this.  I don't want to find out.

Maybe, but don't ever do it. Depending on your state of charge you might go pretty far but there is no way to predict exactly how far before you get stuck.

The real problem is that you will get so low that you might draw the sludge from the bottom of the tank into the filter and clog things up. Or you might dry run the fuel pump which could burn it out. Much better to plan ahead and fill the tank before that point. It isn't like you don't get ample warning. You might get away with it now but the chances of problems increases as the car ages because the level of sludge is constantly increasing as the car gets older.

Sludge? It's not oil  ;)

Off topic, but how did you manage 29 MPG on your last tank?

honestly i don't know, it was raining and humid w/ AC on all the time past 18 days  - i drive a lot of hills and i speed a lot  :rockon:  :shift:

plus i drive in the city going from appointment to appointment and i idle in the parking lots doing admin work on my laptop (medical sales)

Edited by armoredsaint

that will definitely kill your mpgs (the idling part).why can't you just turn the car off and use accessory mode to power your laptop?

plus i drive in the city going from appointment to appointment and i idle in the parking lots doing admin work on my laptop (medical sales)

that will definitely kill your mpgs (the idling part).why can't you just turn the car off and use accessory mode to power your laptop?

why don't you try that when it's 90+ degrees outside and wearing a suit?  :drop:

my company pays for the gas and everything else, so i don't mind burning fuel  ;)

Edited by armoredsaint

Speaking of running full electric, European Prius' have a button that forces full electric for a short period.  Many US owners have found a way to install a similar switch.

This would be a nice feature for short hops.  On my car, even in summer, on the one mile run to the grocery store, the computer runs the engine to warm it up which takes the entire trip.  It's all downhill so the gas to warm up the engine is wasted. Hopefully someone will figure it out a way to do this for the C Max.

Also, on a similar note, how about something to override all the Nav features that are inhibited while the car is in motion?  Boxes that allow this are available for other Ford products but are expensive. I would like for my passenger to enter addresses, etc. while we're in motion.

Speaking of running full electric, European Prius' have a button that forces full electric for a short period. Many US owners have found a way to install a similar switch.

This would be a nice feature for short hops. On my car, even in summer, on the one mile run to the grocery store, the computer runs the engine to warm it up which takes the entire trip. It's all downhill so the gas to warm up the engine is wasted. Hopefully someone will figure it out a way to do this for the C Max.

The Prius EV mode/button was added by Toyota to the third generation (2010+) but is limited to 25mph, less than one mile range, and temps above 68f (won't activate below 68f unless ICE is all ready warmed up).

A plug-in powertrain with its larger battery pack solves the short trip scenario but even those have temperature limitations when the driver also requires heat/defrosting on the trip and will call upon the ICE.

Edited by fotomoto

Prius, I think, can only run 25 on full electric anyway.  But, I'd be happy with that since it is all in our little town and i never exceed that anyway.

I'm pretty sure, however, if we could force the ICE to not start up we could run up to 62 mph as long as the battery lasted.

honestly i don't know, it was raining and humid w/ AC on all the time past 18 days  - i drive a lot of hills and i speed a lot  :rockon:  :shift:

That pretty much explains it.  Good to see some real world use on the site.

Prius, I think, can only run 25 on full electric anyway.  But, I'd be happy with that since it is all in our little town and i never exceed that anyway.

For the Prius Gen 3, max electric speed in HV mode is 42mph.  The Plug-in model can achieve 62mph in EV mode.

My last trip of 800 miles, I didn't figure adding in the mileage from the electric motor,  so when I was not yet to the station, the computer said I had 44 miles left, by the time I got to the gas station, 50 miles down the road, I still had 40 miles left in the tank. I had to go through a town to get there and was in electric most of the time.

what!?? you mean you can't do that at all? on my nav it lets you enter after you get a warning pop up box and you have to hit "agreed" that you will obey all laws and regs. i agree most have a passenger  / spouse to enter directions for you. i could see this as a major issue on a road trip when traveling long distances and there is no where to pull over to stop on a highway but you need to find the nearest rest stop / food place or gas station.

i guess that is where voice commands for nav come into play?

also, on a similar note, how about something to override all the Nav features that are inhibited while the car is in motion?  Boxes that allow this are available for other Ford products but are expensive. I would like for my passenger to enter addresses, etc. while we're in motion.