Renting Prius for Work Trip - Going to Compare

nsteblay

why would you punish yourself? the seats and driving position is terrible. ;)

the cheap center console or bridge as they call it is rattling plastic, worst was the road and wind noise.

i had a prius for a few months until it got totaled by a DD :rant:

Edited by armoredsaint

One of the reasons that many drivers get lower fuel economy in the FFH and C-Max is because they have more available power making it easy to accelerate quickly, but if you drive reasonably in the C-Max or FFH you'll still get great fuel economy while not being as slow as the Prius. I did a comparison test once of driving a Prius on a set route and accelerating not fast, but at the same rate as I accelerate in our FFH which made the Prius engine really work and I had to have it in "Power" mode the whole time. I then drove the exact same route in our FFH and the Ford got better gas mileage because how I accelerate is at the rate that works well for the Ford but was too fast for the Prius and hurt its fuel economy. I'd suggest trying to drive the Prius as close as possible to how you drive your C-Max and see how the Prius does for fuel economy. My guess is that if you accelerate in the Prius as fast as you do in the C-Max you'll see poor MPGs from the Prius since the Prius engine is so weak.

• 2 weeks later...

OK  Just got back from my trip.  Drove the Prius about 100 miles in Boston.  Drove my C-Max with the new fixes to and from the airport.

Prius Observations:

• I got 50.2 MPG 
  • Didn't have to drive carefully
  • Acceleration is not nearly as good but seemed adequate
  • Not nearly as comfortable, is much noisier and I really don't get the back windshield
  • Toyota has engineered the car for mileage, I was amazed that I was getting 50+ while driving 65-70 MPH, Toyota seems to have nailed the Negative Split Mode

CMax Observations Post 13B07 - MPG Fix from Ford

• I got 48.8 MPG in my C-Max on my ride to and from the airport 80+ miles, very pleased!
  • Way better visibility in C-Max
  • Much more comfortable
  • Much sportier ride
  • Better looking
  • And yes, didn't think I would ever say it, much prefer MyFord Touch over what the Prius had

Conclusion

• I am happy with my C-Max purchase, no more Prius envy

nsteblay, i think you can live with the 0.4 mpg less in the cmax for all you get with  the cmax in comparison to the Prius, right????

not to mention the cmax gets that kind of mpg with a much heavier body and less dynamic so it's really good for what it can do being disadvantaged from the starting line. and you are helping the USA C economy and jobs. it also has the newer battery type technology in it.

nsteblay, i think you can live with the 0.4 mpg less in the cmax for all you get with  the cmax in comparison to the Prius, right????

not to mention the cmax gets that kind of mpg with a much heavier body and less dynamic so it's really good for what it can do being disadvantaged from the starting line. and you are helping the USA C economy and jobs. it also has the newer battery type technology in it.

I did purposely buy American.  But regardless, yes, I am happy with my choice.  The C-Max is more pleasant to drive.  Driving efficiently is now second nature - I am getting 48+ on my latest tank of gas (mixed freeway / city driving) but weather conditions have been ideal - no heat or air conditioning.  Looking forward to the 13B07 upgrade - the first attempt didn't take.  Hope I can maintain mileage better than before during the winter, though I understand it will drop.  A co-worker who has a Prius says he loses 4-6 MPG over the winter (Minnesota).