Ford Social: Ford Motor Company takes on Fuel Economy Myths from Fans

I found this on FB and it came from Ford Social....

Kevin Layden, Director of Electrification Programs and Engineering for Ford talks about some of the myths INCLUDING the Premium vs Economy gas (f you must...go to 2:54 on the video).

Other INTERESTING NOTE: use of the carbon cannister (see 1:08 time on video) to capture vapour to power vehicle.

So onward....the discussion cover the following (copy and paste from Ford Social web page):

True or False:

Filling up slowly creates fewer air bubbles and increases the amount of fuel in your tankMakes sense, right? More air in the tank means less liquid. But will Kevin’s response burst this myth’s bubble?

Filling up in the morning, or in cold temperatures, will improve your fuel economy – Anyone who took high-school chemistry knows that the colder something is, the more density it has. So will colder gas help you “go further” on a tank, or is this a cold case?

Using midgrade or premium vs. regular unleaded improves fuel economy – Sometimes you get what you pay for. Does cheaper gas mean less bang for the buck, or are you pumping cash into your tank for no good reason?

Using your air conditioner reduces your fuel economy – Does blasting the air conditioning when it’s hot mean you’ll be filling up your tank more often? Or, can you keep your cool and your cash?

Underinflated tires will decrease your fuel economyEveryone knows that keeping your tires inflated to the recommended pressure is just common sense for safety. But does it impact your fuel economy too?

With an Automatic Transmission, putting your vehicle in neutral while stopped in traffic will improve your fuel economyGetting stuck in traffic wastes millions of gallons of gas per year. Could simply putting your vehicle in neutral at complete stops save fuel?

Sudden braking and quick acceleration can reduce your fuel economy – Could the way you drive have a big impact on your mpg?

It is recommended that you warm up your engine when in cold weather – Is letting your car warm up a tradition that is still necessary, or has modern technology made this an outdated notion?

http://social.ford.com/our-articles/cars/focus/ford-takes-on-fuel-economy-myths-from-fans/

Discuss away....

:)

cool vid.

wish they did one on just the hybrid engines/cats and how to drive it for best mpg with dash shots.don't agree with him on the cold weather myth and I'm sure most here would agree as the fuelly data and those in the cooler east/north states can attest to.

just in case anyone missed the neutral note from the owner's manual:

"Neutral: It is not recommended to idle the vehicle in position N for

extended periods of time because this will discharge your high voltage
battery and decrease fuel economy. The engine will not start, and cannot
provide power to the hybrid system in position N."

just in case anyone missed the neutral note from the owner's manual:

"Neutral: It is not recommended to idle the vehicle in position N for

extended periods of time because this will discharge your high voltage
battery and decrease fuel economy. The engine will not start, and cannot
provide power to the hybrid system in position N."

Great reminder. I tried going down a big hill in neutral with 1/3 battery for kicks at around Dec...as it turns out...it totally drained my battery in no time. The CMax breaks many rules of typical hypermiling...use of EV instead of 100% ICE, no neutral. I think this video was geared for the general public and not SPECIFIC to the CMax of Fusion hybrid....cause we kick ass :)

I found this on FB and it came from Ford Social....

Kevin Layden, Director of Electrification Programs and Engineering for Ford talks about some of the myths INCLUDING the Premium vs Economy gas (f you must...go to 2:54 on the video).

Other INTERESTING NOTE: use of the carbon cannister (see 1:08 time on video) to capture vapour to power vehicle.

So onward....the discussion cover the following (copy and paste from Ford Social web page):

http://social.ford.com/our-articles/cars/focus/ford-takes-on-fuel-economy-myths-from-fans/

Discuss away....

:)

I've seen several postings about people filling their C-Max with Premium fuel, is there really an advantage to the fuel mileage vs, the additional costs?

It was my understanding that technically the only vehicles that should be filled with Premium are specifically designed to use it, which the C-Max is not rated for.

I've seen several postings about people filling their C-Max with Premium fuel, is there really an advantage to the fuel mileage vs, the additional costs?

It was my understanding that technically the only vehicles that should be filled with Premium are specifically designed to use it, which the C-Max is not rated for.

the way i see it is if it gives slightly more power with no real down side i'm all for it. 

There is a big thread I think started by snitGTS so you might want to search for this.

Heres my take on it - I did try a regular tank, 2nd tank. I found it lacking in power and torque and have not used it sense. I can't show anyone here pictures to prove premium has more torque and power but this video by the Layden proves my point - but I find that I can more than make up for the extra cost of the tank by my high mile per tank and I do use the extra power & torque to my hypermiling advantage with the 2 bar burns. In contrast, some early hypermilers swear by the 1 bar burn and this could be that I use premium vs regular, my 18K odo engine breakin vs their 2K - 8K breakin...but its up to you, its your money, your driving and I would suggest you do your own testing to fund which is better....

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Let's do some math:
Scenerio 1:
Assumptions:
1.  Regular costs $3.35 and Premium costs $3.55 (local Costco prices in Virginia).
2.  Using regular gas, 10,000 a year at 40 mpg average = 250 gallons or $838 a year for fuel.

Using Premium
10,000 a year at 41 mpg average = 244 gallons  x $3.55 = $866 costing an additional $28 a year.   -  6 gallons saved per year
10,000 a year at 42 mpg average = 238 gallons  x $3.55 = $845 costing an additional $7 a year.   -  12 gallons saved per year
10,000 a year at 43 mpg average = 233 gallons  x $3.55 = $827 saving $11 a year.   -  17 gallons saved per year

==================
Scenerio 2:
Assumptions:
1.  Regular costs $3.35 and Premium costs $3.55 (local Costco prices in Virginia).
2.  Using regular gas, 10,000 a year at 50 mpg average = 200 gallons or $670 a year for fuel.

Using Premium:
10,000 a year at 51 mpg average = 196 gallons  x $3.55 = $696 costing an additional $26 a year.   -  4 gallons saved per year
10,000 a year at 52 mpg average = 192 gallons  x $3.55 = $683 costing an additional $13 a year.   -  8 gallons saved per year
10,000 a year at 53 mpg average = 189 gallons  x $3.55 = $670 saving $0 a year.   -  11 gallons saved per year

Conclusion, If you're getting lower mpg (e.g., 40 mpg) and can raise mpg by 3 or more mpg, saves a few dollars.
If you're getting excellent mpg (50 mpg), you'll need to get at least 3 mpg to break even.

The higher your average mpg in regular, the harder it will be to save money using premium.

Using premium gas needs to raise mpg significantly to save any money.

If using premium results in better mpg, it is a benefit to the environment.

Edited by joe

Let's do some math:

Scenerio 1:

Assumptions:

2.  Using regular gas, 10,000 a year at 40 mpg average = 250 gallons or $838 a year for fuel.

Using Premium

10,000 a year at 41 mpg average = 244 gallons  x $3.55 = $866 costing an additional $28 a year.   -  6 gallons saved per year

10,000 a year at 42 mpg average = 238 gallons  x $3.55 = $845 costing an additional $7 a year.   -  12 gallons saved per year

10,000 a year at 43 mpg average = 233 gallons  x $3.55 = $827 saving $11 a year.   -  17 gallons saved per year

==================

Scenerio 2:

Assumptions:

2.  Using regular gas, 10,000 a year at 50 mpg average = 200 gallons or $670 a year for fuel.

Using Premium:

10,000 a year at 51 mpg average = 196 gallons  x $3.55 = $696 costing an additional $26 a year.   -  4 gallons saved per year

10,000 a year at 52 mpg average = 192 gallons  x $3.55 = $683 costing an additional $13 a year.   -  8 gallons saved per year

10,000 a year at 53 mpg average = 189 gallons  x $3.55 = $670 saving $0 a year.   -  11 gallons saved per year

Conclusion, If you're getting lower mpg (e.g., 40 mpg) and can raise mpg by 3 or more mpg, saves a few dollars.

If you're getting excellent mpg (50 mpg), you'll need to get at least 3 mpg to break even.

The higher your average mpg in regular, the harder it will be to save money using premium.

Using premium gas needs to raise mpg significantly to save any money.

If using premium results in better mpg, it is a benefit to the environment.

So what would the math be like if averaging 37 MPG on regular gas??

Ford should just invite some of us members to question us about how we get such high mpg. Then they could release a informational video from real owners.

In other words do something like "The Fiesta Movement" that they are currently doing.

That would be fun & interesting to do. How about do regional based videos done by the early adopters?