Safety of C-Max in a rear impact collision

MacMahon

Hi,  

Does anyone have any information about the safety of a C-Max in a rear impact collision?  What happens to the battery in a rear collision?  Is there added risk to the back seat occupants?  Is it going to come plowing into their backs?  Just wondering if anyone has learned about the design of the car and how Ford has made it safe for a rear collision?  Presently, it seems as though the only official tests are for front and side collisions.

I'm worried about the risk of spinal cord injuries for my back seat passengers.

Thanks for any insight you can give. 

Edited by MacMahon

I have done extensive searches for information. I have stalked forums. I have read tons of articles, watched hundreds of youtube reviews, test, and etc. I have posted crash test videos, but can not find one for the rear impact.... yet. I am so bored waiting for our car to arrive.

Hi Doug, Thank you for the information about the batteries being in the same position as the same as the Prius, that is reassuring.  

Slampro, here is an article I read about the C-Max Grand in Europe, but I think they have more of a risk there (not because of a battery but because they have three rows in their C-Max) http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/02/has-the-time-come-for-rear-crash-testing/

this is why the high voltage battery has a kill switch located behind the rear passenger seat to allow the owner or fire/emergency crews to disengage it in the event of a crash. I'm sure it also has a sensor to know when you are in an accident.

Edited by salsaguy

I know when we were looking at buying our 08 Escape hybrid, this was a question we had. I did some research at that time. I learned that emergency personnel(across the country) have been training. They were training for dealing with hybrid vehicles. I remember when we first got it reading news stories of rescue crews weary of approaching hybrids. It has been 5 years since then, many hybrid vehicles are on the road now. I do not hear any of those stories anymore.

this is why the high voltage battery has a kill switch located behind the rear passenger seat to allow the owner or fire/emergency crews to disengage it in the event of a crash. I'm sure it also has a sensor to know when you are in an accident.

This is true. I know where it is on the Escape. But as I do not own the C max yet, I do not know where it is. On the Escape it is under the cargo carpet, a big orange dial switch.

I'm talking about internal damage inside one or more of the cells. The amount of energy stored in a fully-charged Lithium Ion battery can be spectacular, if released in a short period of time, in an uncontrolled manner.

The 787 was Mulally's baby, remember… 

Edited by Noah Harbinger