Ford to lower fuel economy rating on C-Max hybrid

slampro

It's not a conspiracy.

With me own eyes, my wife and several of friends will verify this!

Our little suburb is on a US highway maintained by the state.

We have 5 red lights. One summer the state spent a week setting up the lights for the morning and afternoon commute.

The next week we made most of the lights morning and afternoon.

Then on Fri the city had all the controller doors open.

Monday was back to business as usual, we stopped at ALL lights both ways everyday!

A couple of yrs ago they admitted defeat and reprogrammed them.

The merchants complained that their customers couldn't turn left into their businesses (traffic backed up bumper to bumper from light to light).

They may very well have timed the lights to make people stop, but I don't think it because of kickbacks from or ownership of corporations that would benefit from increased gas usage. If it is the case that the lights are intentionally timed to turn red, it is more likely a "safety initiative" targeted at reducing speeding. 

That is SO unfair: they've already got better beer...

It's funny you would say that, I can't think of a single good Canadian beer (though I'm sure that's more a function of distribution than anything). That old stereotype might have meant something when "Beer" in the US meant a choice of Coors or Bud, and Michelob if you're being fancy. But anyone who is dissatisfied with the taste of the behemoth brewers' beers has vastly more choices available today than a decade ago. I can get 90-100 different beers brewed at 9 breweries within 5 miles of my house. 

It's funny you would say that, I can't think of a single good Canadian beer (though I'm sure that's more a function of distribution than anything). That old stereotype might have meant something when "Beer" in the US meant a choice of Coors or Bud, and Michelob if you're being fancy. But anyone who is dissatisfied with the taste of the behemoth brewers' beers has vastly more choices available today than a decade ago. I can get 90-100 different beers brewed at 9 breweries within 5 miles of my house. 

LaBatt's is a very good Canadian beer.

found something of interest in the comments section of this site. not sure if it's true but....

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130826/OEM11/308269980/epa-says-its-mpg-test-holds-up-for-hybrids#axzz2d6FHyPOY

"bwilson4web

It turns out Ford already had the metrics that showed the C-MAX was not a '47 MPG' vehicle, their own 'roll-down' numbers. These 'roll-down' numbers are public records on the EPA web site, search for "EPA Test Car List Data Files."

There is a simple, 2nd order, polynomial that converts the roll-down coefficients into the vehicle drag, horse power . . . the amount of power needed at any given speed to sustain that speed. The manufacturer's roll-down coefficients are all that is needed.

When we applied this formula to the "Prius v" and "C-MAX" they were almost identical. The Ford does better below 20 mph and above 65 mph. Between 20-65 mph, the "Prius v" does better with the peak in the 35-45 mph range, ~11% better in this range.

What we noticed is Ford's 'corrected' roll-down parameters for the dyno were . . . optimistic. In contrast, the Toyota "Prius v" numbers were dead-on. Apparently vendors are allowed to supply 'corrected' dyno parameters.

Vehicle drag is a primary determinant of vehicle efficiency in real life. So when Land Rover claims their diesel hybrid will get 44 MPG (Imperial) / 38 MPG (USA) . . . well their current vehicle roll-down data says not very likely.

Bob Wilson, Huntsville, AL"