$550 goodwill payment, relabeling of mpg, and changes coming for 2014

nemonik

This refund seems to be based on $3.50/gallon over 80,000 miles at 43MPG vs. 47MPG. If only I could buy 158.34 gallons of gas with this check to lock in that price per gallon... Called Ford to see if I could just take some of these 2014 upgrades vs. the check. Apparently not. I may buy a Fusion Hybrid badge for the car though, for the irony.

Just thinking - I'll be keeping the car for a good few years anyway, but has anyone considered the impact on resale value by this? I can guesstimate my car lost a couple of grand in value in the last 24 hours now it's MPG is lower. That $550 check doesn't seem all that useful now. Regardless of what our own MPG might be, resale uses the EPA figures.

Which, if any, of the changes being made for the 2014 vehicles could be applied to our 2013's?

For example:

• New hood seal, front and rear tire deflectors, A-pillar moldings and the addition of rear lift gate deflectors to improve vehicle aerodynamics
  • New engine oil with reduced friction

I think there will be minor body modifications in the front for the MY14 cars.  I doubt it'll be plug and play with ours.

Yeah I wished I hadn't read that too since it equates to $865 US.. need the source they use but they didn't include a link.

Maybe because the national average gas price in Canada is higher? I know I try to avoid getting gas in Ontario as much as I can and I've beem able to do that with the cmax.

Maybe because the national average gas price in Canada is higher? I know I try to avoid getting gas in Ontario as much as I can and I've beem able to do that with the cmax.

Yep I think that's right - looking at gasbuddy, Canadian gas is about 30% higher than the US. Having said that, folk in HI and CA won't be impressed with a refund based on fuel price.

great find there. good to read in that statement that the EPA is partly to blame for all this. i wonder if they will go back and do the same for the Toyota prius since it has many versions of the similar car (or other mfgs/models)

EPA statement ...

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/documents/fueleconomy/420f13044.pdf

The crazy thing is I'm getting good mileage now - 48 drive to work 53 on the ride home just yesterday.

What they don't mention in any of these articles is the impact of temperature.  That is the main reason the C-Max fuel economy varies so significantly.

hate to say it but this is not the sales person job to do YOUR research for you. you're the one spending $30-35k not them. they will gladly take anyones money. get the right tool for the job. everyone knows a plug in does better in town for short trips. gas cars take a while to warm up especially in cold places.you do live in CANADA right!!! are you sure you got the update? they changed the shutters to stay close longer to help out warm up faster.might need to buy the grille dam mod for your car or better yet a block heater. never have i been asked about my driving style or route or miles driven each way when i went in to buy a car so why would you think they would do that????

Probably the Energi would have been better for us as by the time we warm up the car we are home and it is parked in the garage for another day. LOL.  So the sales people need to be really clear on the parameters of driving the car as I can see mega problems with customers like us who do very little driving feeling the car is misrepresented.  We don't feel upset by this, but I think many would. And they need to address using air conditioning and cold outside temperatures, both of which affect mileage drastically, to potential buyers.

Temperature may not be lower in Canada as it is dependent on what part of the country you live in--just like the States. I suspect the biggest number of C-Maxes sold would be in the more temperate climates like Vancouver and Vancouver Island versus places with extreme cold like Saskatchewan.   I'm in Vancouver and it is a very mild climate--similar to Seattle. However, fuel is very high priced in many provinces (Alberta may be an exception).  Our local gas station has regular at 145.9 per liter.  So we are $5.83 for an imperial gallon.  I think the higher rebate is likely due to high gas prices in Canada.

hate to say it but this is not the sales person job to do YOUR research for you?

To be fair, the sales people (and techs) I've met had no clue about these cars and still don't. While getting my PCM update, I set up all their C-Maxes for EV+ and Eco and explained what it does. Of course, they maybe needed the PCM update too so probably lost them, but at least they know now. Any sales person worth their salt should know their product inside out, as should us consumers. In my line of work, I know as much as possible about our products, as well as the competition. To be honest, without this forum, I'd be lost with this car even now, 6 months in.

Oh forgot to mention something from my call with Ford earlier. Probably goes without saying, but these checks come to us, not whoever owns the title to pay down the principal. When I called they confirmed my address a couple of times to make sure it comes to the right address. Ford call center also have a dedicated hybrid/electric option now too - 4.

Another factor in the rebate difference could be that in Canada the C-Max was rated at 4.0/4.1 L/100km (city/highway) while in the US it was 5.0L/100km.  So there would be a greater "expectation" difference.  4.0 L/100km is 59 mpg US.  Then there's the exchange rate but that's rather small right now.

hate to say it but this is not the sales person job to do YOUR research for you. you're the one spending $30-35k not them. they will gladly take anyones money. get the right tool for the job. everyone knows a plug in does better in town for short trips. gas cars take a while to warm up especially in cold places.you do live in CANADA right!!! are you sure you got the update? they changed the shutters to stay close longer to help out warm up faster.might need to buy the grille dam mod for your car or better yet a block heater. never have i been asked about my driving style or route or miles driven each way when i went in to buy a car so why would you think they would do that????

Living in Canada isn't code for living at the North Pole!  I live in a very mild climate --rarely gets below 32 F in the winter here and average is probably about 45-50 F in the winter.   I was commenting on our mileage being high in town because it takes so long to warm up the engine (even in the summer).  We just went for a little picnic and temp is 25 C (in the high 70's F) and our mileage was 9. 2 L going down to the ocean where we had the picnic.  Coming back it was 4.2 L.  We researched our C-Max pretty darned thoroughly before buying, but I believe people who sell the cars need to know something about them too.  We have been happy with our car.  But the thing that I am most unhappy about is this latest rebate issue.  The reputation of the car is now damaged severely and heaven help us get a decent trade in for it down the road.  The C-Max has not sold well in my part of Canada and I joked that I felt like we were driving an Edsel, and I have to think that my joke is no longer a joke but the way it is going to be.  I like my car, but in all honesty I would not repeat the purchase if I could go back.  There are far too many negatives and unknowns at this time.