$550 goodwill payment, relabeling of mpg, and changes coming for 2014

nemonik

I absolutely love my C-Max. Everything about it......comfort, ride, handling, high-end tech, and the mileage. I have had ALL of the upgrades done and all without a hitch. I am fortunate to have two dealers equidistant from me and make use of both of them.......they are top notch.

I traded a 2011 Flex SEL ( my second one ) and got top dollar. I had a factory rebate and a private rebate that I applied to the C-Max. I also used my company's X-Price Plan with Ford. I went into the process well informed and with realistic expectations. I got a GREAT deal and have been satisfied beyond expectations.

I had to change and adapt my driving skills and habits to fit the C-Max to achieve the highest MPG. I am a better driver for it and it pays off at the pump.

And now I am getting a $550.00 check from Ford......SWEET. 

Amend!

i wonder if they will go back and do the same for the Toyota prius since it has many versions of the similar car (or other mfgs/models)

Toyota performs separate tests on each version of the Prius.  That's why the V, which has the same drivetrain as the liftback but is heavier and longer, has a lower rating.  Even the new Camry hybrid has a different sticker for the upscale XLE with larger wheels yet same drivetrain as base LE.  

I expect you're right, but it is called a "goodwill" payment.  Putting us through "track your mileage", "go to the dealer", wait for a card", over and over every year wouldn't build much goodwill with me. ...

Remember, Hyundai offers free oil changes for life, so they see the car on a regular basis... you do things differently when you're a small player trying to grow a business.

Have fun,

Frank

We are the second owners of our C Max, purchased pre-owned certified from our local Ford dealer. I called Ford Customer Service and inquired about the rebate. They said we were eligible for the program. She said they anticipate sending checks out at the end of September.

I bought my C-Max SEL Hybrid on Tuesday, then Ford released this news on Thursday.  All weekend long, neighbors, friends, family, strangers in parking lots, have felt it's their duty to tell me in some form of another that my new vehicle does not get the gas mileage that Ford advertised.   For most of them, even strangers in parking lots, I have opened the drivers door, jumped in the seat, turned the car on and simply pointed at the left display, which as of Saturday morning had just started to say that my Avg MPG was 39.9, with only 550 miles on vehicle.  I would then say, "It's not even broken in yet!!", then ask, "And what kind of mileage does your car get?"  To which I got a lot "around 30" answers ... I just smiled and said "SURE!"

I'm thinking the $550 Ford is going to voluntarily send me for this "mistake" will pay for enough gas for me to drive a really long distance in my C-Max!

We are the second owners of our C Max, purchased pre-owned certified from our local Ford dealer. I called Ford Customer Service and inquired about the rebate. They said we were eligible for the program. She said they anticipate sending checks out at the end of September.

Even though it has not been stated yet, I am thinking that as long as your purchase/lease started before the Press Release was made, you'll get the rebate. 

I am also thinking that if the purchase/lease is of a pre-owned unit, it must be done from a Ford Dealership.

That's cool that even though you're the 2nd owner you still qualify.

Hey there otbiker and MiC-Max, and welcome to the forum!

Otbiker, the other guys loss is your gain! Congrats!

MiC-Max.....good to see another member from SE Mich. If you see a Blue Candy on US 23, wave. (I sometimes feel like a stalker.....I wave madly at every C-MAX I see. The other drivers are either a) blind, b)distracted, or c) ignoring me. I choose NOT to believe C.

You guys came to the right place to learn everything fit to print about your new C-MAX. There are some crazy smart folks on here.....not me, those other guys. Everyone is helpful and willing to get you off on the right foot. Scan thru the topics, use the search feature, and if you don't see your particular question answered...........then ASK!

Enjoy the ride.

Edited by Adair

Well, I won't refuse the check, but I'll say that I am so happy with this car. I got it in March of '13, built on 1/4/13. Just got done with the PCM update today. MFT has gone from 3.1.3 to 3.5.1 and yesterday to 3.6.2. My lifetime mileage is 48.0 before the update, so if I can get that up to 50, I'd be in heaven. I have also not had any problems from SYNC or MFT or nav. This is a GREAT car!

Edited by robertiv

It would make financial sense for Ford to do the credit card thing based on mileage.  I have had my C-Max almost 9 months and only have 6,000 kilometers (3600 miles) on it.  They wouldn't owe me much.  There probably aren't too many like me but who knows?

I guess you have me beat; Had mine since 3/7/13 (about 5 1/2 months) and today have only 2850 miles. You are really low miles!

I bought my C-Max SEL Hybrid on Tuesday, then Ford released this news on Thursday.  All weekend long, neighbors, friends, family, strangers in parking lots, have felt it's their duty to tell me in some form of another that my new vehicle does not get the gas mileage that Ford advertised.   For most of them, even strangers in parking lots, I have opened the drivers door, jumped in the seat, turned the car on and simply pointed at the left display, which as of Saturday morning had just started to say that my Avg MPG was 39.9, with only 550 miles on vehicle.  I would then say, "It's not even broken in yet!!", then ask, "And what kind of mileage does your car get?"  To which I got a lot "around 30" answers ... I just smiled and said "SURE!"

I'm thinking the $550 Ford is going to voluntarily send me for this "mistake" will pay for enough gas for me to drive a really long distance in my C-Max!

I like pointing to my mileage (for the day) that on most days is over 58mpg. Today I had a customer ask me about my mileage and I told him    "I am at 60.4mpg for the day as I rolled into your driveway....."   

He didn't have much to say after that.   :)

Matt

We're probably a good example of a family that deserves the :spend: $550.

We were expecting mid 40's mpg EVERY tank!

Before the power train up grade we were getting high 30's to a high of 40.2 in town :sad: .

After the upgrade we're at 44.9 (1/2 tank)

Highway mpg was (we're in the 20% population area mentioned earlier or the #2 most populated state :headscratch: ???) 35 to 37, after the upgrade we get 37.9 :nonono: (4 highway tanks after the upgrade).

We will not be seeing any 40+ mpg highway in the #2 most populated state.

Our highway speeds are from 60 (soon to be 65) to 85 mph.

Hey there otbiker and MiC-Max, and welcome to the forum!

Otbiker, the other guys loss is your gain! Congrats!

MiC-Max.....good to see another member from SE Mich. If you see a Blue Candy on US 23, wave. (I sometimes feel like a stalker.....I wave madly at every C-MAX I see. The other drivers are either a) blind, b)distracted, or c) ignoring me. I choose NOT to believe C.

You guys came to the right place to learn everything fit to print about your new C-MAX. There are some crazy smart folks on here.....not me, those other guys. Everyone is helpful and willing to get you off on the right foot. Scan thru the topics, use the search feature, and if you don't see your particular question answered...........then ASK!

Enjoy the ride.

Adair - I will definitely wave if I see you!  You can also expect me to flash the lights and honk if I have enough time as well!  I live in Monroe and head up to A2 on occasion for meetings, so I'm on 23 a few times per month.

Before the power train up grade we were getting high 30's to a high of 40.2 in town :sad: .

After the upgrade we're at 44.9 (1/2 tank)

Getting good MPG on the C-Max is very dependent on how you drive.  On my commute to work I can vary from 50+ to high 30's if I drive aggressively.  It's just the nature of how Ford implemented the hybrid technology.  Good mileage is function of the percent of time in EV mode.  You can definitely drive the car in way that percent in EV mode is low.

I rented a Toyota Prius recently to compare.  Toyota took a different approach to implementing the hybrid technology.  In the Prius you don't need to worry much about how you drive to get your mileage.  The tradeoff is in power and styling.  I didn't like the driving experience in the Prius and much prefer my C-Max.  

The other day I was in a hurry in busy traffic that required some aggressive acceleration and maneuvering. The C-Max performed great in this situation.  When testing the Prius I purposely tried some aggressive moves - wasn't happening.  To be fair for average driving the Prius has adequate acceleration but there is a significant tradeoff in power.

then ask, "And what kind of mileage does your car get?"  To which I got a lot "around 30" answers ... I just smiled and said "SURE!"

Most people only have the EPA highway figure in their mind for their fuel economy. And the ones that have actually measured it probably did it on a long open-road trip, where most cars get their highest fuel economy. 

Edited by Noah Harbinger

where did they hear about it as i don't recall seeing it on the tv news.... i guess some folks just love to be a$$es.

NPR ran a story on it first thing Friday (8/16) morning - my Boss called me before 8am with the "news".

Local News here in the Metro Detroit area ran stories Thursday (8/15) Night, then Friday Morning, Noon and Evening broadcasts.

Plus ever newspaper I read - Wall St Journal, USA Today, Detroit Free Press all had stories as well.

There was a lot of coverage here in SE Michigan.  Local "News" in Detroit loves stories about Ford - both good and bad.

where did they hear about it as i don't recall seeing it on the tv news.... i guess some folks just love to be a$$es.

I'd take the $550, thanks Ford...and thanks for the great mileage as well. IMO and experience, the only a$$ are those Prii posters or owners, go read'em anywhere and they are not hard to find. 

What matter is your own MPG experience - some like wab struggle but I do not, I can drive 102MPG and yet come in at 37MPG on the same day - I chose how much MPG I want to burn by my route and speed.

People who drive Priis will NEVER, EVER understand the CMax - its like telling an eskimo that being naked in the sun on sand is FUN, Prii advocates will never :airquote: get it.

:stirpot:

PS one neighbor has a 09 Prii and shes thinking of the CMax - on the 210, those mountains between Sunland and La Canada Flintridge is just killing her Prii "No power, I have to keep to the right"...I think u know this section of the freeway salsaguy...lets see how the Prii fanboys respond to that...what "go get a CMax"... :lol:

I am pleased that Ford stood up and admitted there was a perceived issue, and then made adjustments to the sticker to reflect it.  So much for the "evil corporation" view of companies.

As I stated with the mileage mod, they coul dhave just told early adopters" Tough, you are stuck with what you got" and made running changes in 2014 models and beyond.  Instead they have worked to update all units for best owner satisfaction.

Am having 13B07 installed Tuesday.   With lifetime mileage at 43.0, I am pleased- anything over 40 is gravy!  Maybe the update will improve higher speed economy as well

Best to all....