How many of the 2014 changes do you think we can do ourselves to 2013 models?

So, here's what's new for 2014...

50JArX7.png

The software upgrades are easy. The dealer takes care of that (and for many of us, probably already has).

Moving on to the hardware upgrades, obviously replacing our transmission is out of the question, so skip that one.

As for the aerodynamics, I wonder, how feasible might those be? What does everyone think about each of those?

* Hood seal, probably simple to swap old for new. I bet it just snaps in.

* Tire air deflectors, maybe tricky, perhaps impossible. Might be part of significantly larger pieces, not worth replacing, might not.

* A-pillar moldings, I have no idea.

* Rear liftgate area, what does that mean? I wonder if they're like those gas pods at least one forum user has been experimenting with.

And of course the last one is easy. We just need to figure out what weight the new oil is, and start using it at our next changes, right?

So all in all, I'm thinking really the transmission is the only guaranteed "can't be done". Everything else miiight be possible.

Of course, it might not really matter either, but I'm curious anyway. :)

I agree, except for the transmission, everything should be possible.  And if I had to guess, most of the aerodynamic improvements (tire deflectors, etc.) will be bolt on.  Having worked for an Tier 1 OEM supplier, its takes time modify existing parts, especially this early in the production cycle.  Whether the part is metal or plastic, molds need to be modified and that means taking the existing molds out of service.  It’s much easier to just create a new part and bolt/glue/tape the part on.

Now will it fit the 2013 model?  I am guessing the official answer to that from Ford will be "NO". That avoids the argument as to whether the parts should be added as part of the warranty or as part of a recall.  But I am betting someone will figure out a way to get them on our vehicles. ;)

At $550, whats the ROI?  ;)

I am satisfied with my car the way it is.   I was just kind of adding some levity.  Car technology does seem to be getting better and better each year.  

However, it will be interesting how big an improvement Ford can get.  There does seem to be a lot of potential from modifying the front of the car.

what do you mean? where did you see the white wasn't offered in 2014.

with the FE announcements I'm still wondering if they will or won't change the order sheet for the 2014 model since these are all "must be" installed and not options. i want to see if any of these mods makes the car look worse or not. how not as we plan to get one soon....

anyone have any ideas what the a-pillar mod is and what it would do?

does that mean they might change the angle of the window to  name it more aerodynamic? the C-max IS a tall car which causes note aero drag compared to a sedan like the fusion.. hope they don't mess with the nice headroom this car has.

to me that is a major change to the car and I'm surprised they can pull that of so quickly.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillar_(automobile)

Sorry for all 3 of you.

No white 2014's.

OK you can have the hood seal

:yahoo:

I'm sure Ford wants to be on top again and get a REAL 47+ mpg car to beat the Prius fair and square so I'm sure they are aiming very high to avoid the negative press this has all caused. they invested a lot in the cmax and they don't intend to lose the fight. a black eye can't kill you but it sure hurts and looks ugly for a quite a while...

I am satisfied with my car the way it is.   I was just kind of adding some levity.  Car technology does seem to be getting better and better each year.  

However, it will be interesting how big an improvement Ford can get.  There does seem to be a lot of potential from modifying the front of the car.

I agree, except for the transmission, everything should be possible.  And if I had to guess, most of the aerodynamic improvements (tire deflectors, etc.) will be bolt on.  Having worked for an Tier 1 OEM supplier, its takes time modify existing parts, especially this early in the production cycle.  Whether the part is metal or plastic, molds need to be modified and that means taking the existing molds out of service.  It’s much easier to just create a new part and bolt/glue/tape the part on.

Now will it fit the 2013 model?  I am guessing the official answer to that from Ford will be "NO". That avoids the argument as to whether the parts should be added as part of the warranty or as part of a recall.  But I am betting someone will figure out a way to get them on our vehicles. ;)

Tire Air Deflectors?  Are we referring to those cheap black rubber/Plastic things hanging down in front the the front tires?  If so I was already considering a replacement that I would fabricate, probably with thick rubber or neoprene I can buy from a home supply chain locally.

• 1 month later...

Get rid of your SPOKED tire and buy the wheels that come with the 40 MPG Ford Focus and you can see these hub caps also on the 40 mpg ecco Chevy Cruze too. I think the spoke wheels kill aero for the wheels. I think a lot of this is window dressing to get around the FUBAR of their mistakes for the 2013 model. When its all said and done I doubt they will squeeze more than 1 MPG out of the C Max EPA ratings. The front dam seal is very easy to do and for my money go with Gas Pods since Ford is already saying the spoiler could use some improvement.

Aero Wheels from the Focus

Gas Pods

front grille air block

these are all mods along with lighter viscosity oil that can be done now

The electric Focus (which I'm guessing is the most efficient) seems to have the same exact rims as the CMax... http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/trim/electric/

And the Chevy Cruz Eco also looks like it has very similar rims... http://www.chevrolet.com/cruze-compact-car/specs/trims.html

So, uh, what do you mean, get rid of our spoked wheels?

The electric Focus (which I'm guessing is the most efficient) seems to have the same exact rims as the CMax... http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/trim/electric/

And the Chevy Cruz Eco also looks like it has very similar rims... http://www.chevrolet.com/cruze-compact-car/specs/trims.html

So, uh, what do you mean, get rid of our spoked wheels?

you have not looked at their SPE package

wording right off their spec's for a Ford Focus - Yup to get the 40 mpg rating you need these wheels :)

16" steel with unique aero wheel covers (included in SFE Package)

I think getting rid of the spoke wheels and going with these ugly ones will help ALOT and it the only way you get 40 mpg along with manual tranny on a Focus

wording right off their spec's for a Ford Focus - Yup to get the 40 mpg rating you need these wheels :)

I think getting rid of the spoke wheels and going with these ugly ones will help ALOT and it the only way you get 40 mpg along with manual tranny on a Focus

The Focus fuel econ pkg also adds active grill shutters, which our car already has. Not sure how much those wheels contribute...yeah they have aero covers, but as steelies they're also heavier, no?

I don't know how to find the SPE package. I've looked, but I don't see that anywhere. Could you link to it for us? Thanks! :)

Ohhhh! Okay, SFE, not SPE. Okay, I found it...

I still can't find pictures on Ford's own website, but for those curious what the wheel covers look like, here... http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1204_2012_ford_focus_sfe_first_test/photo_01.html

(...and it stands for "Super Fuel Economy" package, btw, I also just learned.)

Anyway, yeah, pretty ugly. I'll deal with whatever drag our spoked wheels introduce. And, really, considering they're on the Electric Focus, and the Fusion Hybrid, I assume they can't be all that bad.