Anyone getting better MPG with the new update?

armoredsaint

Got the update last week and haven't got above 36.4  driving on the highway at 60 .....can't say we have noticed any iprovement at all in gas and the car seems a lot more 'growly' not as quiet.

Hi Cowspotdog, and welcome! *Growly*.....that's a great word to describe it!! Mine was really noticeable right after the update but seems to have lessened.....and I don't think that's because I've gotten used to it. It's been a little over a month now since my update and initially my MPGs went down, it seemed to be running ICE more, and it was loud. I didn't notice the AC difference some have mentioned. But the sound has settled down, EV is getting easier, and the MPGs are creeping up again. I doubt I'll ever achieve the lofty heights of Jus-a-CMax or some others here, but I'm making the advertised average 47 etc again. I, too, love my C-MAX!!!

Edited by Adair

We got the updates last week.

No measurable difference in around-town driving. But Eco-cruising the same stretch of I-75 at a constant 70 MPH, we now get 42 MPG vs. 39 MPG pre-update. Might be that the improvement is due to the fact that highways are not perfectly flat -- you traverse a mix of flat road, inclines and declines. Post-update, as you go downhill the ICE stays off even if you're going 75 - 80, so the net result is your trip has a higher ratio of EV miles vs. ICE miles than before.

Make sense?

Made a trip this weekend from portland to seattle drove 60-70 mph got 50.0 mpg for the trip up there.

Not going to count the trip back because the weather was horrible, rained the entire trip.

Made the same trip a couple months ago pre-update and got 45.0mpg.  So a 5 mpg improvement but I am sure

some of that was vehicle breakin improvement.  Car only has 3333 miles on the odo now.

I like the update, car was getting 48mpg around town prior to the trip.  This car keeps getting better.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys.. new here...  What is this mysterious "update" that increases gas mileage?  Are you talking about the MyFordTouch 3.6.x update?  Or is this something else?

Thanks,

Mostly the 13B07 update and perhaps to a lesser extent the 3.5.1 update. 

See thread titled:

Recall 13B07: The Guinea Pig Thread

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2650-recall-13b07-the-guinea-pig-thread/?hl=13b07

Hey guys.. new here...  What is this mysterious "update" that increases gas mileage?  Are you talking about the MyFordTouch 3.6.x update?  Or is this something else?

Thanks,

Greetings and Welcome

The name of the MPG upgrade is 13B07.

some people report a small improvement

a few people report a huge decrease in MPG

a few people report a huge increase in MPG..ME :happy feet: . We went from high 39's (with a lot of effort) to high 44's (I'm back to my "normal" driving style WOT at times) starting to look like I'll be at 45+ :drool: in a few weeks.

I didn't do enough highway driving before 13B07, but my initial city driving since the update seems to be improved.

With faster warm up, really short trips from a cold start are still not great.  However, I see at least some improvement.  With a faster warm up, which I definitely notice, you can do more EV driving than before the update.  Short trips used to seem worse, with more ICE than has been the case since the update.

For longer city trips (at least eight miles), I seem to be getting well above 50, maybe averaging 53 or better (seems easier to hit 55 MPG than before), on many trips.  Before, I could hit these numbers, but I was averaging just below 50, like 49.9 MPG.

This is based off of very preliminary driving.  I just refilled.  Once I run this full tank, I can say whether it is for real or not.

In January when I got the car, I was regularly getting 39mpg here in FL. Around 3K in April (I guess the break in), I started seeing 43mpg for the same trips which is when AC started being used and the rains started.

Since the FE update, I've been getting 51mpg for the same trips with AC on constantly and rain - a bit higher when it's not raining, so am looking forward to the cooler drier "winter" here.

A couple of notes on what may have also had an impact on these over recent months - Jus' review, maybe 30% highway, and choosing routes with lights. Takes me longer but it's always nice to see good figures when I arrive and a Scangauge II to see what my foot's doing.

I'm sure I'd be in the 600 club by now, but only just started taking note of the miles per tank, and only have 1 fill up on Fuelly. One thing I did notice today while filling up the washer fluid is the rubber stoppers under the hood were pretty high, so they're lower now and the hood is more flush, so I've probably been driving with a bit of drag.. maybe this will help.

Lifetime average literally broke 47 the day the check arrived, which was ironic.

Mine only has 5K on it since I work from home a lot, and is a bog standard SE without mods or pods or anything, but did the Pinnacle ceramic tint all round - and Air 80 on the windshield... and increasing the PSI in the tires to 43.

So based on history, break-in helped, filling the tires to 43 helped, tint helped the AC, reviews here helped, and so did the FE update.

Things that don't help - my dealer running the car everytime it's in (took 2 weeks after the FE update to get back to the average mpg after taking it in) and my county using the minimum allowed time at lights (2.4 secs on a 45mph) - kills brake scores, but still a respectable 94%.

Edited by kc1174

Here are my summer results from another thread showing some 13B07 improvements which cannot be measured, only guessed at:

" I started the Summer around 42/43, with very limited Winter/Spring driving.  My Summer run has been 47.9 before the update, and 47.6, 50.5, 47.0, & 49.5 since the update (Aug/Sep).  That is about 6 MPG improvement, although you see I did do a 47.9 before the upgrade.  I agree with drd that driving habits are the greatest factor in MPG numbers, mine included.  Guessing at the MPG improvement I would say:  break-in (10%, +0.6MPG), 13B07 update (20%, +1.2 MPG), better weather (30%, +1.8 MPG), better driving (40%, +2.4 MPG).  Again, just a wild guess.  I really think that most of us are actually driving more efficiently, intentionally or not, and for those who are, much better results."

I am also driving at 42/43 PSI, but may ramp that up to 45 soon.  Brake score 98%.  Lifetime on dash - 47.5 MPG.  roughly 4500 miles.

Nick

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2977-best-month-of-mpg-to-date/?do=findComment&comment=33510

Edited by C-MaxSea

You are right Jus, I have been whimping/wimping/vimping/vamping out!!!  :nonono:   I put 45 in yesterday, and they were still plenty soft, inching up to 47,48?????  To be clear, Is that 46 front, 50 rear?

I have always maintained that driving 'at recommended pressure' required filling up at 2 or 3 over, since lazy dudes like me only check once or twice a year, and they only leak over time.  Therefore I started at 41, got bold and went to 43, bolder yesterday and went to 45, whoo-hoo here comes 46/50 :woohoo: ?  (Dreamin of pizza pans - not, but 700 - Argh, a chip I may carry on my shoulder until next Summer)

Thanks for the kick,

Nick

Odd thing is, I have always filled my utility vehicle tires to at or near max - never had a problem.

Another Sidebar note:  45psi felt real nice on yesterday's 50 mile fair weather, dry pavement 50MPG jaunt.  Hmmm winter traction - I may want to drop back to 42/43?  (All subject to loads, of course!)

Edited by C-MaxSea

I think the warm of the summer sun did more for the mileage than the update.

Way more!  Update, 1,2;  Weather 3,4,5,6;  Driving habits 3,4,5,6 depending on the geography & individual - a lot of new drivers out there figuring things out, myself included. 

Just my two cents / crazy guess, 

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

• 5 months later...