3 Days, Same Trip, Different Temps

Adair

I drive the exact same route to work 5 days a week. 17.3 miles of gently rolling back roads, 1 small town w/3 stop lights and a few stop signs. The trip home may add on 1 mile if I stop at the grocery.

On Wednesday it was 21* in the morning and 32* on the way home. I used lights,  bun warmers and defrost on the way in and just the bun warmers and lights on the way home. Got 41.1 MPGs for the round trip. On Thursday morning it was 27* in the morning and 39* on the way home. Lights, seat heaters on the way in. Just lights on the way home, got 43.2 MPG. Yesterday it was 37* on the way to work and 49* on the way home. Seat heaters on the way in, lights on the way home, got 47.2 MPG.

Gas pods arrived yesterday. I'll put them on after the fill up today.

I drive the exact same route to work 5 days a week. 17.3 miles of gently rolling back roads, 1 small town w/3 stop lights and a few stop signs. The trip home may add on 1 mile if I stop at the grocery.

On Wednesday it was 21* in the morning and 32* on the way home. I used lights,  bun warmers and defrost on the way in and just the bun warmers and lights on the way home. Got 41.1 MPGs for the round trip. On Thursday morning it was 27* in the morning and 39* on the way home. Lights, seat heaters on the way in. Just lights on the way home, got 43.2 MPG. Yesterday it was 37* on the way to work and 49* on the way home. Seat heaters on the way in, lights on the way home, got 47.2 MPG.

Gas pods arrived yesterday. I'll put them on after the fill up today.

Yup, temp really effects the efficiency of our cars. I relished the Summer when I could max out the range and mileage. Now that I drive a Fusion Energi temp still is critical as the battery is much less efficient in the cold.

Enjoy the Gas Pods, it seems to be an improvement for those who use them.

Peace,

Father Bill

True.  I have driven 13,489.2 miles (35 fill ups) since I got the update, though.  Seems like a decent span of data.

Agreed.  That's a significant amount of experience/data; but there's the temperature delta.  Adair will go through huge swings in her zone and 13B07 supposedly address some temperature issues.......   

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone recommend where C-Max grill covers can be purchased?  I'm not acquainted with the "gas pods" mentioned above.  Do they help with mileage during colder temperatures.  My Ford dealer has not mentioned either the grill covers or gas pods so, apparently, they're not available at a dealership.  I have the C-Max SE, purchased in February 2013.  Had several incidents with a dead LV battery during the past six months, but replacing the engine wiring harness seems to have corrected the problem.  At least it's been fine for two months.  I really enjoy the car in every other way, but I've noticed a lessening of mpg with colder temperatures.

Anyway, I would appreciate suggestions regarding the purchase of a grill cover and/or gas pods (whatever they may be or whatever effect they have on mph).

You've entered the realm of DIY add-ons...

Grill covers are not available commercially, but rather from some forum members who have fabrication facilities and skills. In addition to reduced engine warm-up time, grill covers may be providing real aerodynamic benefit from reduced air infiltration and a smoother front end. One can eliminate air infiltration and gain most of the aero benefits from duct tape, albeit in a short-term solution.

On a related note are air dams, which extend the front bodywork closer to the ground, are in their infancy here, but I bet we see more by Spring!

I'm still waiting for someone esle to try side skirts... or Spring to arrive.

GasPods are vortex generators that claim fuel economy benefits due to reduced wake drag. The problem in my mind, is that they are placed at the rear of the roof, and on the C-Max, there's nothing to improve about airflow above the beltline, based on aerodymanic testing. The problems start at tail light level and below...

Then there's side mirror removal, Siriuis antenna removal/upgrade(?), aero wheel covers, etc. If you're interested in mods that reduce fuel use, here's the master list.

HAve fun,

Frank

It's going to be another couple of weeks before I get  MADMAX as my wife calls it back from the Body Shop, darn.  I have some nifty idea's for under body air dam etc. when I get my car back. When I get a chance I will post some pics of what a CMAX looks like torn apart and some of the new pieces to put back on. It is a very complicated car and current repair cost up to $6500 now. :) 

And to repeat as others have said Grill Covers are the single largest improvement in MPG's and heating your car that your can do whether you tape up the Grills or buy covers from me. There is no reason you have to suffer. :)

Paul

I am right in there with you guys. I have a touch over 44,000 miles on my car right now.

Adair,

You have found what I found (when my car was stock) and that is this principal "You need 50 degrees to see 50mpg."

With my mods, I averaged 49.6mpg today with a temperature going from 19 degrees in the morning to 28 degrees in the afternoon.

Matt