Ford's C-MAX Solar Energi Concept?

lowbar

From Engadget.com

The tech inside green vehicles continues to improve, and Ford has just announced a concept that looks to push it even further. The US automaker has outed the C-MAX Solar Energi Concept: a vehicle that packs in all of the perks of a plug-in hybrid, but doesn't require that tether to recharge. As the name suggests, a roof-mounted solar panel collects a day's worth of energy needed to churn out the same performance as the C-MAX Energi Hybrid; however, the new Solar Energi model seeks to do so without relying on the ol' power grid. The panel itself houses "a special solar concentrator lens" that acts like a magnifying glass, directing those requisite rays on the rooftop. After rolling around the lot of the LVCC at CES next week, the concept vehicle will be tested by researchers from Ford and Georgia Tech -- who helped develop the panel system -- to see if the C-MAX Solar Energi is indeed viable for production. For now, we'll have to wait to grab a closer look in a few days.

C-MAXSolarEnergi.jpg

Two more articles on the same subject:

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-ford-solar-car-ces-cmax-20140102,0,3740173.story#axzz2pGBGCwzw

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/Ford-s-experimental-car-has-solar-panels-on-roof-5107688.php#photo-5669215

[see 2nd illustration for view of concentrator canopy]

"Which brings up another unusual feature of the C-Max Solar - to keep the car optimally positioned under the lenses as the sun moves across the sky, the car will inch forward on its own, bit by bit, throughout the day, with no driver required. Some computer programming and sensors mounted on the vehicle do the trick. By evening, the car will have moved about 16 feet.

"We would have a 'solar charge mode' that you'd put the car in," Tinskey said. "Over the six or seven hours, it's moving at a very slow pace, because it's matching the sun's movement. And it's all done autonomously." "

"Other automakers have tinkered with solar before, but not in this fashion. Audi and Toyota, for example, have used solar cells to run automated ventilation systems that keep cars cool when parked during the heat of the day.  [i have asked for this in the How to Make C-Max Better threads.]  A top-end model of the electric Nissan Leaf, meanwhile, uses a small solar panel to recharge the car's secondary battery, which powers the computer system and accessories."  [Had not heard of this before, but it's a good idea.]

The moving car thing sounds like an engineering pet project and I don't see that being practical in the real world.  It will be interesting to know how much charging this cell will do in 8 hours on a sunny day.  I personally wouldn't pay a lot of money for such a charger on the Energi, maybe $500 but I suspect it would sell for much, much more.

Don't get your hopes up.  Average solar cell is about 10 watts per square foot.  Park this thing in the sun all day (10 hours) with about 8 square feet of cells and you will get 10 x 10 x 8 = 800 watt hours of electricity or 0.8 kilowatt hours.  That's the equivalent of plugging your Energi into a 120v outlet for about 30 minutes or about eight cents worth of electricity. 

According to Ford, it takes 8 kilowatt hours to fully charge the battery.  At 0.8 kilowatt hours per 10 hour day, you can charge your car up in only 10 sunny days.

Like I said, don't get your hopes up.  It takes a lot of surface area to generate significant amounts of electricity.  The roof of your house has a lot of area.  The roof of your car doesn't.

Hey its a start, will it be perfect on day 1...absolutely not. If it only charges a weenie more EV for me while Maxine 2.0 bakes in the hot Southern California sun...I'll take it (if the price is right...since I agree with AE in that $500 is the limit). Better than NOUGHT, is what I'd say...for the right price.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Yes it will probably be more like $2-3000 added cost on Sep due to the r&d recoup costs associated with any new project like this. And until a LOT of folks buy it. They should also hook it up to a fan so the interior stays cool in the outside hot sun like they did with the Toyota solar panel on the Prius, which didn't sell well at all due to its limited functuality. Don't forget the cmax energi is already a niche car with not a huge sales volume.

We shall see but I agree it's more myth than reality until solar is more efficient and cheaper.

Good that Ford is trying to take the lead in a new tech path/vision though.California and Arizona and Florida will be perfect markets to test this out.

Nice find salsaguy and Happy New Year :rockon:

I can see 2 things here:

1. Once this thing really kick off and efficient, Big Brother will push for gps miles taxation. Who needs to buy gas now. Ha...we may get that sooner :drop:

2. I can see someone sueing Ford when the car moves in the solar concentrator and rolls over someone or a foot. Ooops.

But it is a great idea though.

All well and good, but who has 16ft parking space. Not to mention a sunny day. Around here sun is at a premium especially in the winter. I think this will never get off of the drawing board. The regenerative shocks I read about sound promising. In combo with brakes sounds like you could extend the range of cars to the point you don't need to recharge during the day. THAT WOULD BE GREAT

NICE TRY FORD