SD Card slot use

Since I do not have Navigation with the SD card I wanted to know if I could use the slot other ways. My dealer told me that it was only for navigation but the owners manual and my touch made it seem available for music or photos. So I experimented today and placed a micro SD card (is what I have for my MP3 player) into a SD card adapter and plugged the adapter into my C Max SD card slot and removed the flash drive that I have in the USB port and turned the car on.

Drum roll!!!!

It works perfectly. Once it indexed the files it began to play the music that was on the card. It is searchable with my touch and I expect voice commanded by sync. I am not sure but I think the SD slot is HC compatible which is the next test. So instead of using a flash drive or in addition to a flash drive we can use an SD card for music if you don't have the navigation system or aren't using it very much. Anyway I think this is very cool. Imagine a 32gb SDHC card with a 32gb flash drive filled with your favorite tunes at your command. Who needs Sirius with that kind of a jukebox?

That's what I read in the manual as well. I have NAV so my SD Slot is filled up. I have my iPod Nano hooked up to the USB slot and getting all my tunes that way. Your right, who needs Sirius with all the 2 USB slots and SD slot! :)

My Dealer told me that the CD player can play DVD movies, gave it a try and it just spits 'em back out...no movie. I wonder if you had a digital movie file on a usb stick of SD card it would play it? Something else to try.

Jay

Edited by JayCo59

I find that the dealers around here know very little about the product they sell. I bought an '04 Thunderbird from the same dealer that I'm buying my CMax, and when they had the car ready to pick up, they had the removable hard top on it without the protective strips that were supposed to be installed first. Needless to say, the deck was scratched and I had to have it re painted. Same thing with the CMax....they know nothing about it. Everything I know, I found out by reading online.

Ok the next discovery I made this past weekend are how the USB slots work with My Touch. I was curious if two flash drives and the SD card work together. I quess I shouldn't be surprised but it works. When you have two flash drives plugged in you now have the screen display show USB1 and USB2 and of course the SD. Sync voice allows you to choose which drive you want by saying USB1 or USB2 or SD. Note the USB1 shot is the lowest one.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok the next discovery I made this past weekend are how the USB slots work with My Touch. I was curious if two flash drives and the SD card work together. I quess I shouldn't be surprised but it works. When you have two flash drives plugged in you now have the screen display show USB1 and USB2 and of course the SD. Sync voice allows you to choose which drive you want by saying USB1 or USB2 or SD. Note the USB1 shot is the lowest one.

Since you are on a roll with your testing, how about testing it with a USB hub? ;-)

• 7 months later...

Given the amount of time it takes to design and build a car, I'm almost certain we don't have USB 3. It's too new on the market, the hardware would need to have been spec'd out about 2-3 years ago, at least. And there's little benefit to the added cost, the increased transfer rate is massive overkill when streaming music, which is the biggest demand we expect to put on the usb port.

i agree most car hardware is speced out anywhere from 3-5 years in advance so USB 3 were not that common. any last minute changes don't happen that often unless it's a safety issue due to the long time for approval to be granted from the auto market to the OEM mfg of the headware.

• 2 weeks later...

I stream through Bluetooth, and the sound is night-and-day superior to Sirius.  I've had Sirius--with great quality--on a prior vehicle. 

Unless they make it almost impossible to resist, no way am I renewing at the end of the free trial.  I could be convinced to keep some of the talk and news stuff, for the right price.  It will sound like poor quality AM radio, but that could be good enough for long trip sanity.

• 5 months later...