EV+ is it possible to lock in?

salprint

I agree with Fbov, I don't see where it says ICE kicks in to charge the battery, but I can see how it can be misunderstood.

Yes, the manual doesn't say it but I'm fairly confident that I read that in a Ford document like tdefny says and I thought it was more like up to one mile away from an EV+ destination that ICE may run to charge battery. Ford has been known to make contradictory statements. That's why I ask when does EV+ show up on the display. A Ford video and the manual says EV+ shows up when "EV+ is active" which one assumes is when in EV+ Mode - about 1/2 miles away from destination. Mine doesn't show up then.

Edit: Here's the entire section on EV+ in the 2014 manual. It makes clear that EV+ turns on about 1/8 miles from the destination. I wonder if the algorithm was changed with one of the PCM updates and Ford decided not to try explaining the EV+ logic in new manuals going forward as software updates could tweak the logic and thus make the previous manuals misleading / incorrect. Less is sometimes better than more. :)

EV+ Mode

Your vehicle will recognize your frequent

destinations and allow for more EV driving

as you approach them. For example, when

nearing your home it should be easier to

stay in electric mode. The EV indicator will

display EV+ when this mode is active. You

should see this approximately 1/8 mile

(200 meters) from a frequent destination.

See Information Displays (page 88).

Note: Frequent destinations are learned by

your vehicle after two to four weeks of use.

You can clear these destinations with a

Driving History reset through the Settings

menu.

Note: The EV+ feature can be turned on or

off through the Driver Assist section of the

Settings menu.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

What about someone lives on a hill, so that when he get home, it is always uphill, when he leaves home, there are 3 miles downhill, but ICE still kicks in.

Only half smart person write program enforcing everyone to follow his logic the same way.

Living in Miami, I am the last person to say anything about cold weather driving. However, when I start my C-MAX to leave home, I often have a good amount of battery charge from when I last parked. Since I live in a high rise with an underground parking garage, I EV through the garage to the exit gate (which involves a short climb), I exit out of lot, and I often go as much as a half mile or more on EV power. I just have to accelerate gently.

Assuming you had to ICE up the hill to park the night before, wouldn't it be possible to carefully EV from the garage of a home at that top of a hill, and then glide down the hill without ICE firing up?

Living in Miami, I am the last person to say anything about cold weather driving. However, when I start my C-MAX to leave home, I often have a good amount of battery charge from when I last parked. Since I live in a high rise with an underground parking garage, I EV through the garage to the exit gate (which involves a short climb), I exit out of lot, and I often go as much as a half mile or more on EV power. I just have to accelerate gently.

Assuming you had to ICE up the hill to park the night before, wouldn't it be possible to carefully EV from the garage of a home at that top of a hill, and then glide down the hill without ICE firing up?

I live at top of a hill and in cold winters.  At anything below freezing, even with a good SOC, ICE kicks in within half a block.  It does stage1 cutoff within about 2 minutes and stage2 cutoff after ICE is on for at least 3-4 minutes again. 

Lucky SoCal and Miami folks!

I live at top of a hill and in cold winters.  At anything below freezing, even with a good SOC, ICE kicks in within half a block.  It does stage1 cutoff within about 2 minutes and stage2 cutoff after ICE is on for at least 3-4 minutes again. 

Lucky SoCal and Miami folks!

Do you have an ICE block heater or garage? Have you tried Grill Covers? Oil pan heater is worth 2mpg short distances, anywhere you can plug it in. :)

Paul

Do you have an ICE block heater or garage? Have you tried Grill Covers? Oil pan heater is worth 2mpg short distances, anywhere you can plug it in. :)

Paul

The Revmobile is always in a garage but it has been a very long, cold winter here this year.  I've used pipe insulation in front grill both winters so far.  Haven't read much about oil pan heater so far but assume it is similar to block heater as an add-on that needs a plug - ok in garage but not when travelling around. 

Shoot - just did the Sync update myself on Friday (all good) and this afternoon lost my Nav - it is asking for SD card.  Will check other threads but first time that has ever happened.

Shoot - just did the Sync update myself on Friday (all good) and this afternoon lost my Nav - it is asking for SD card.  Will check other threads but first time that has ever happened.

Hi Tree63,

Which version of MyFord Touch were you on before you did the update? Version 3.6.2 requires an A3 or A4 SD card. Shoot me a private message with your VIN and the info so we don't hijack this thread. ;)

Rebecca

The Revmobile is always in a garage but it has been a very long, cold winter here this year.  I've used pipe insulation in front grill both winters so far.  Haven't read much about oil pan heater so far but assume it is similar to block CMAXerheater as an add-on that needs a plug - ok in garage but not when travelling around. 

I guess you didn't get ICE block heaterwith the car, I thought some CMAXer's got ICE block heaters. Maye it was FFH that got them. I'm checking with my Dealer to see what it would cost to install. I installed a oil pan heater from NAPA auto parts. I plug mine in at work and home.

ETIS will tell you if you have an "immersion heater" and I'm now of the opinion that factory installed would pay for itself. Not so sure about aftermarket or dealer install.

And it was the northern states whose dealers got cars with block heaters. Mine was purchased in Ohio... not northern enough!

Frank

ETIS will tell you if you have an "immersion heater" and I'm now of the opinion that factory installed would pay for itself. Not so sure about aftermarket or dealer install.

And it was the northern states whose dealers got cars with block heaters. Mine was purchased in Ohio... not northern enough!

Frank

I saw one on ebay for $23, but the installation looks problematic. And how far North do you have to be, Alaska! LOL I think it should be standard for all hybrids. :)

Paul