Ford C-Max eCVT or 2-speed CVT w/OD

Ponypower

This was copied from a dealer web page.

2014 Ford C-Max Hybrid Hatchback Overview

The standard features of the Ford C-Max Hybrid SE include 2.0L I-4 141hp engine, 2-speed CVT transmission with overdrive, 4-wheel anti-lock brakes (ABS), side seat mounted airbags, curtain 1st and 2nd row overhead airbags, driver knee airbag, airbag occupancy sensor, automatic air conditioning, 17" aluminum wheels, cruise control, ABS and driveline traction control, AdvanceTrac w/Roll Stability Control electronic stability.

Just goes to show how much dealers know. Maybe they looked at the car and saw there is a "D", "L", and switch on the side of the shifter :)

The 2014 owners manual shows the same transmission as the 2013: "Electronic continuously variable transmission (HF35 eCVT)"

The eCVT is fundamental to the hybrid operation. The HF35 is like a more powerful version of the "Hybrid Synergy Drive" used in the

Toyota Prius. 

I could easily refer to my (2013) CMax transmission as CVT (since it is definitely continuously variable ratio)

or as eCVT with e for electric (since the ratio is definitely controllled by the electric motor)

or as eCVT with e for electronic (since the moyor conyrolling the ratio is, in turn controlled electronically)

or as a 2 speed transmission (referring to "L" and "D" which definitely result in different drive ratios)

or as a 2-speed automatic, since it is definitely automatic.

or as 2-speed CVT or 2-speed eCVT by combination of the above.

As to what Ford chooses to call it, I would suggest that this is primarily a marketing decision, and in this connection i note that "CVT" has a bad reputation as a result of consumer dissatisfaction with the. belt drive units

And while I'm at it, I can not resist:

I could call my C-Max a hatchback, since it definitely has a hatch on the back, and since Ford describes it as a hatchback in some literature,

or I could call it a wagon, since it resembles som vehicles called wagons, and since some of the reviewers have described it as a wagon (and, if I'm not mistaken, Ford may also in some places),

or I could call it a small SUV or a compact crossover, since it is essentially the same vehicle as the 12013 Escape, which is uaually so described by Ford and others, and since it is very similar in overall form and (especially interior) size to a lot of other vehicles that are so described ( CRV, Rav4, Rogue, X1. Q5, SRX, RDX, QX50, XC60, Tucson, Sportage, Tiguan, etc.)

In fact, I do not think that anyone would have batted an eye if Ford had called the C-Max a 2013 Escape hybrid, but I suppose that would have been tipping their hand  since the C-max was introduced in 2012, and they had not yet introduced the reconfigured the Escape, waiting until 2013 to put it onto the "C" platform and style it like the competition (i.e. like the C-max) rather than as a minature Explorer.  (Don't get me wrong; I liked the mini-explorer style.  I originally would have preferred my C-max styled that way.   I'm getting used to the newer style, however.)

Edited by Smiling Jack

• 4 weeks later...

I'm betting the overdrive is the two speeds: Stick an epicyclic gear after the CVT that engages when cruising at high speeds and low output, like an old overdrive gear from the 70s, to keep the motor spinning at lower speeds to extends its life and improve its efficiency. 

Smiling Jack, sounds like you think words don't mean anything. 

To me, words in an advertisement don't mean anything.

As for overdrive, the C-Max has always had an overdrive transmission.  I understand "overdrive" to mean that the transmission output shaft spins faster than the input shaft.  I've seen the car at, like, 65 mph with the engine at 1000 rpm - definately in "overdrive".  I thought the 2014 was going to have a different gear ratio.  Does anyone know if the epicyclic or differential ratios have changed?

Very unlikely there are two mechanical "speeds".  As mentioned, probably a [lame] reference to the two gearshift positions.

Definition of SUV?  Anything with a "wagon" body style and enough ground cleance to go over any curb or parking space stopper!

That's the problem "what do words mean".    

Ford's press release in August 2013 (see excerpt below, which better be truthful) is very clear to me:  the 2014 C-Max will have transmission hardware gearing changes.  

Since the final drive axle ratio appears to be the same in the 2013 and 2014 C-Max Hybrid according to Ford specs and since Ford now comes out with this new transmission description for MY 2014 -- " 2 speed CVT w/OD", their August 2013 press release appears to be validated that hardware has changed.

Raj Nair, group vice president, global product development for Ford is quoted in the August 2013 press release.  Raj in December 2012 in defence of why consumers and reviewers couldn't get the EPA rated 47 mpg basically said the wide degree of variability in actual hybrid mileage is due to factors like speed, break-in, temperature, driving style but never mentioned the fact that Ford never tested the C-Max but instead used the Fusion Hybrid FE numbers for the C-Max Hybrid EPA rating.

Ford "duped" us once. Did they do it again with words??? ;)  I hope not.

2014 Ford C-MAX Hybrid on sale later this year is upgraded with new transmission gearing

The 2014 C-MAX also will benefit from several hardware changes, including:

• Gearing changes that result in a more efficient transmission drive ratio

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

• 5 weeks later...