Hybrid Haters

jmckinley

Ever since I bought this car, I've been plagued by Hybrid Haters riding my bumper.  This is somewhat perplexing because I don't hypermile and generally stay at or above the speed limit and do not hog the left lane. Just for kicks on several occasions, I have demonstrated the excellent acceleration of the CMax and walked away from them, but usually they come back anyway.

I assume this is carry over from other aggravating experiences the Haters have had with other Hybrid drivers hypermiling and holding up traffic.  They therefore assume that all Hybrids will be driven in an obnoxious manner and feel the need to help them along by tailgating.

Most of the time it is either a pickup or a big SUV.  Apparently they want to convince me that they can afford to not worry about fuel consumption and that I am somehow an inferior person because I chose not to drive something that only gets 12 mpg.

Anyway, yesterday I removed the H-Y-B-R-I-D letters from the rear hatch.  Then, on a 200 mile drive, I did not have a single Hater incident!

The letters, by the way, were extremely easy to remove.  Just warmed them up slightly with a heat gun (hair dryer would have worked) and slipped a plastic scraper under them. They popped right off. Glue residue wiped off easily with some car wax.

Wish I had of done this a year ago.

I'm sorry you had these experiences but, with all due respect, I have been reading these kinds of posts on the Prius forum for years. Hybrid driver gets tailgated / cut off / flipped off / etc. and assumes it is because the other driver is anti-hybrid.

Before assuming anything I would like to see some real evidence that these other people don't like hybrid cars from some reason. In my experience there are a lot of jerks on the highway and they would still be jerks regardless of the car you are driving.

Many hybrid drivers are enthusiastic about their cars, as am I. But some tend to place a lot of importance on their choice of transportation and then potentially feel victimized when they run across some these aforementioned jerks. Please note that I am talking generally and not you personally, jmckinley.

You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity. (Heinlein)

Oddly enough, I am a Heinlein fan and have been for 60 years.  

I think I've read most of his books, but don't remember this quote.  Where did it come from?

You've got a couple of yrs on me.

First book I ever read "Red Planet" in 1957.

My mother gave me a copy in the 1980's, still have it most of his others.

Sometimes I wonder how many teen and pre teen lives he changed :jump_earth:.

Edited by wab

I have been involved in three rear end accidents in the last two years.  Each time I was stopped but the person behind me was so close they couldn't stop in time and hit me.  One time the guy took off but I caught up to him at the next light.  In my personal opinon I don't think it has anything to do with what your driving..Its the people in a hurry or on their phones. The bigger problem I see is some of the truckers on the highway. Just don't pull in front of them or you will get run over. 

I have been involved in three rear end accidents in the last two years.  Each time I was stopped but the person behind me was so close they couldn't stop in time and hit me.  One time the guy took off but I caught up to him at the next light.  In my personal opinon I don't think it has anything to do with what your driving..Its the people in a hurry or on their phones. The bigger problem I see is some of the truckers on the highway. Just don't pull in front of them or you will get run over. 

"I see is some of the truckers on the highway. Just don't pull in front of them or you will get run over"

Or motor homes, especially gas powered motor homes.

You've seen 18 wheelers smoking their tires when someone pulls in front of them and slams on their brakes.

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN with a gasser MH, these things WILL NOT STOP!!! :runaway:

Since switching to a Hybrid, I see the road in a whole new way. I never realized just how aggressive so many drivers become on the roadways.

Mineeapolis isn't too bad for tailgating. We were in Miami 2 weeks ago and we couldn't believe how ppl drive there!! They all tailgate! And they wait until the last second to brake and then they slam on their brakes. We couldn't believe how many accidents we saw on sunny days with dry roads! It was insane! Coming back from that trip made me appreciate MN drivers more and made me realize that the tailgating and other issues here aren't that bad in comparison with Miami and potentially other places.

Mineeapolis isn't too bad for tailgating. We were in Miami 2 weeks ago and we couldn't believe how ppl drive there!! They all tailgate! And they wait until the last second to brake and then they slam on their brakes. We couldn't believe how many accidents we saw on sunny days with dry roads! It was insane! Coming back from that trip made me appreciate MN drivers more and made me realize that the tailgating and other issues here aren't that bad in comparison with Miami and potentially other places.

It is an adventure to drive around here, for sure.

When a driver is tailgating me, I slow down to or slightly below the speed limit.  Within a few seconds, the tailgater will whip into the left lane and pass me.  I never look at them as they pass me. I'm sure they are giving me the finger or staring in anger, but I never acknowledge them - which probably drives them even crazier.

When a driver is tailgating me, I slow down to or slightly below the speed limit.  Within a few seconds, the tailgater will whip into the left lane and pass me.  I never look at them as they pass me. I'm sure they are giving me the finger or staring in anger, but I never acknowledge them - which probably drives them even crazier.

On two lane road you can turn your turn signal on and they back off or go around you after a few times. LOL :)

Paul

You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity. (Heinlein)

Oddly enough, I am a Heinlein fan and have been for 60 years.  

I think I've read most of his books, but don't remember this quote.  Where did it come from?

I did a search for "quote: never attribute to malice" as I'm more familiar with Hanlon's version than Heinlein's. Per Wiki:

In 1996, the Jargon File entry on Hanlon's Razor noted the existence of a similar quotation in Robert A. Heinlein's 1941 short story "Logic of Empire"[2] ("You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"), with speculation that Hanlon's Razor might be a corruption of "Heinlein's Razor".[

Since switching to a Hybrid, I see the road in a whole new way. I never realized just how aggressive so many drivers become on the roadways.

Amen, Brother! This car's been a real look in the mirror... it's why I tend toward low-powered cars; a 1.8L 8V BMW is enough to get me in trouble...

Have fun,

Frank