Average Driver's First Year Review

Hi all!  I purchased my C-Max Hybrid SEL about a year ago.  Here is my experience ...

I live in upstate NY so I am not one who can brag about consistently high mileage.  However, given that, I am very pleased with this car's performance.  As background, I traded in a Jeep Patriot.  I was used to a car that was good in all road conditions and could haul stuff, if needed.  The C-Max has filled that bill for me.  I do not travel a lot as I am retired so I only have a little over 4,200 miles on the car.  I just took it in for inspection and oil change .... cost only $22 (and they threw in a free car wash).

Handling ... I love the way it drives.  I have acceleration when I need it and get a kick out of playing with the brakes and acceleration to maximize my EV mode.  I drive a lot of short hops, rural, curvy roads and this car is very stable given the terrain.  Handled well on snow and I had no problem this winter.  I do not miss my 4 wheel drive.

Mileage ... as of now I am back at 36.4 lifetime.  This winter killed the 44+ I had attained.  I hope to work back to it.  I am constantly amazed at trip mpg.  Now that weather is warmer I often get over 40 to up to 55 mpg's on my short hops.

Reliability ... have had a few issued with MFT.  Local dealer is very good about upgrades.  I have had two and they have provided a loaner each time.  My only real problem was one incident last fall when Sirius was trying to update.  Apparently it was stuck in some mode and my battery died.  Called Ford Roadside ... came very quickly.  Charged the battery and I haven't had a problem since.  It was a Sunday and I didn't take it to the dealer so I don't know what that was all about ...

Hauling stuff ... so far I can get everything I need into the C-Max and just love the kick thing.  The little things, when you arms are filled with groceries ...

Overall, after one year's experience, I am very pleased with my C-Max.  I forget to get gas because it is no longer a weekly or bi-weekly thing.  I call this an "average" driver's review  because that is what I am ... just someone who bought a car, wanted better mileage with the latest technology (just love my texts read to me!), ability to haul stuff and can say I have gotten all that I expected. 

Great review

wish we would hear more from you (only 15 posts in a year)

What was one that that you changed as for driving style or habits, since owning the Cmax as compared to the Jeep?

As for your Sirius ./ Dead Battery issue, that is very curious....Im wondering if this is anyways linked to anyone elsese dead batteries that we have been hearing about way too much lately.

If not glad you got it fixed and glad you have a good dealer to deal with for maintenance. not everyone is so lucky

Hi Salsaguy ... I confess to reading this forum more than posting and it has been very helpful to me.  I am not a car expert (just your typical end-user) and have had a pretty crazy year so I will use that as my excuse :-)

What has changed from Jeep to C-Max???  As I am recently widowed, I drive alone a lot more than I used to.  To ease the boredom, I actually pay attention to how often I use gas or EV.  I make trips to our camp and always am amazed at how the terrain effects my mileage.  Going up the Adirondacks mpg is always less ... coming down, well, that's another story.  I coast and see how far I can go on EV.  Kind of a game to pass the time :-)  In my jeep, how I drove was not a factor. I had no control and got the same mileage no matter what.  Think I like the fact that I have some say in the matter.  Also think that some of those who complain about mileage are not fully aware of how you need to change your driving/braking habits.  Hybrids are a breed apart, in my opinion.

As to the Sirius issue ... all I know is that it kept saying it was updating for a period of time.  I have figured out that even though I had returned home and turned off the car, the updating was still occurring somewhere in the tech land that is MFT and completely drained my battery.  One jump took care of both the updating and, perhaps, reset of Sirius. Fortunately, it has never happened again.  Agree this could be an issue with some of the other battery drain problems ....

Hope you are enjoying your C-Max as much as I am ... really don't think they deserve all of the bad press they are getting.

Very nice review, and I'm glad to see you're still enjoying your C-Max, MaxwellHammer!

I believe you are talking about the SiriusXM channel update that came through last year. Unfortunately, some customers had a similar experience, but I'm happy all is well since it got it taken care of. :) Should anything like that happen again or you have any MFT questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Rebecca

Maxwell!! So good to hear from you again! I, too, am a former Jeep owner and love my C-MAX! I'm so glad things are going well for you.

My mileage sucked in the winter, but I'm back up to a 47mpg tank again. I thought I'd miss the 4-wheel drive, but, no......Jelly got me around just fine this winter.

Hope you have a wonderful summer...........in all ways!