extended warranties - what length/coverage and cost

catsailor

Please help me out, who bought this type of protection, how long did the warranty extend to and at what costs. Seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on this idea.

Your thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks catsailor

I bought a 7 year 100,000 mile with no deductible for about 1100 if I am remembering correctly.  I bought the Ford one but could have gotten a cheaper third party extended warranty.  I figured with the CMax being a new model and all that I would need repairs at some point.  Haven't used it yet.

Forum thread on Ford Extended Service Plan (ESP) can be found at:

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2330-purchase-an-extended-warranty/

There are links in above thread to two dealers that sell Ford ESP plans. Plan info and pricing are available on their websites.

If you go with Ford ESP, you should pick the Premium Plan, as that is the only one that covers the unique Hybrid components.

• 2 months later...

I posted this before in another thread..  The Ford Warranty covers the hybrid components for 8 yrs / 100 k miles (longer in CA). See below for Hybrid components covered.  Major emission systems are covered for 8 /80 k miles (see below).  The rest of the Power Train is covered for 5/60.  So, if one is buying an extended warranty because of the new hybrid technology, it's already covered for 100 k miles.

I chose the Mechanical Breakdown Insurance offered by GEICO with a $250 deductible.  It covers everything for a 100k miles except the exclusions below.  My costs were so far:  1st yr premium = $27.76; 2nd year premium = $27.64.   I will likely reach 100k miles in less than 6 years and expect to pay considerably less than the Ford Plans.  

So given what's covered by Ford,  I don't expect the Geico rate to change much in year 3 and only increase slightly as the 3/36 B2B expires. I would expect an increase again at about year 5 when the power train warranty expires and maybe slightly again after the emission warranty expires.  The bad - I've got to stay with GEICO and should the C-Max fleet experience significant out of warranty repairs at significant costs to GEICO, GEICO will increase the rate.  But, the major component that I worry about are the hybrid eCVT, the HVB, and the hybrid electronics which are covered by Ford for 100k miles.  

Geico EXCLUSIONS: MBI does not include regular maintenance services such as tune-ups, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubrication, coolant and fluids, spark plugs, brake pads and lining, brake shoes and tires (includes tire wear and/or tire damage). Breakdown repairs made necessary by intentional damage, rust and oxidation, misuse, or improper maintenance are not covered. Mechanical Breakdown coverage is in excess of coverage provided by the manufacturer's warranty.

Hybrid Component Ford Warranty:

The following hybrid parts are covered during this extended coverage

period: high-voltage battery, hybrid continuously variable transmission,
Inverter System Controller (ISC), DC/DC converter, high-voltage
battery connector, battery pack fan assembly, thermistor probe, Hybrid
Battery Pack Sensor Module (HBPSM), Battery Energy Control Module
(BECM), and the PHEV onboard charger.

Federal Major Emissions
8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for catalytic
converters, electronic emissions control unit, and onboard emissions
diagnostic devices, including the Battery Energy Control Module
(BECM).
Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

I intended to buy the Ford warranty from Anderson & Koch.  At the time I could get a 7 year / 100k mile warranty with a $200 deductible for $955.  The price goes up as the car get older.  I printed the information and gave my local dealer the chance to match it which they did.

I bought the Ford ESP Premier level 5 year or 125,000 mile (whichever is first) warranty. It extends all of the other warranties in the New Car Limited Warranty. It covers everything except "buttons, clamps, carpet, dash lad, door/window handles, knobs, trim, upholstery, water leaks, weatherstrips, liners, fabric, and fasteners." It doesn't, obviously, cover routine maintenance like oil changes and filters and brake pads, etc. It also covers up to 10 days of rental car coverage for covered repairs (but you have to FIGHT to get that benefit), 24/7 roadside assistance, travel expense reimbursement for breakdowns/towing, lock-outs, jump-starts, towing, Ford parts for all repairs, and the plan is transferrable if you sell your car. Service must be done at a Ford dealership unless it is a weekend/night and you get approval from the Ford warranty phone number person to go to another ASE-certified location that will use Ford-authorized parts. I also got the 5-year unlimited mileage Ford ESP Triple Care plan for tires/wheels, dents/dings, and windshields. There is no limit on the number of times you can have repairs done with this plan and includes towing to nearest dealership or tire repair facility if you have a flat and they will completely cover cost of tire and/or wheel repair or replacement as long as you had at least 3/32" tread remaining on your tires at the time. I love this since there is no spare tire in the C-Max so I would have to be towed for a flat. Since the Premier warranty expires after 125,000 miles, the Triple warranty will take over with its unlimited mileage coverage until my 5 years is up.

Oh, my costs: The Ford ESP Premier warranty for 125,000 miles/5 years has a $100 deductible and added $1,505.00 to the car cost. The Triple-Care warranty for 5 years & unlimited mileage has no deductible and added $395 to car cost.

Edited by Singoffpitch