Report: Next gen Prius production delayed 6 more months, to December 2015

kostby

And the next plug-in Prius to October 2016...

From Automotive news (Link follows below)
June 30, 2014 - 12:01 am ET

TOKYO -- Toyota Motor Corp. has delayed the start of production for the fourth-generation Prius from next spring until December 2015, as engineers sweat the details of a new vehicle architecture and the company's next-generation hybrid system.

Toyota initially targeted a spring manufacturing launch for the next iteration of its hallmark hybrid, code-named 690A. That has been pushed back to December, people familiar with the matter say.

The Prius confirmation vehicle, a prototype typically built 12 months before Job 1 to ensure performance, is scheduled for around November 2014.

Production of the plug-in version is expected to begin in October 2016.

Reasons for the roughly half-year delay are murky. One source said engineers were tweaking the car to ensure maximum fuel economy, possibly adjusting body and chassis issues.

A Toyota spokesman said the company could not comment on future product plans.

(article continues)

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140630/OEM05/306309966/next-gen-prius-launch-delayed-6-months

Reaction from GreenCarReports:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1093025_2015-toyota-prius-launch-pushed-back-six-months-report

So, if true, this gives Ford the opportunity to...

"...putting its faith in hybrid and fuel-cell vehicle technology rather than electric..."  I want electric.

"A more conventional dashboard than the current love-or-hate interior is also likely,..."  Well that's a step in the right (or is that left!) direction.

"...expected to keep the traditional "Prius shape."  I guess you can't fix everything all at once!

I've heard many rumors through the automotive grapevine that the next gen Prius is going to be a game changer. A revolutionary new powertrain with significantly higher efficiency allowing the original Prius flavor of the car to have an EPA 60mpg combined rating. If Toyota would give the car a convenctional and half way decent interior and a somewhat comfortable ride I think they could easily double their sales.

"...putting its faith in hybrid and fuel-cell vehicle technology rather than electric..."  I want electric.

"A more conventional dashboard than the current love-or-hate interior is also likely,..."  Well that's a step in the right (or is that left!) direction.

"...expected to keep the traditional "Prius shape."  I guess you can't fix everything all at once!

I for one am a huge advocate of fuel cell technology. Energy storage will always have range issues and slow charging. As for the shape of the car you can't really do much about that as its determined by physics and personally I don't mind the aesthetics of the prius.