Battle of the Hybrids!

Adrian_L

This video will be nearly two years old in a few months.   I watched it along with reading many, many reviews comparing the Prius and C-Max prior to my purchase in December 2012.

My take at that time and after a test drive of both vehicles was virtually the same as what's in the video - the C-Max was a much better "driving" car with respect to comfort, performance and handling than the Prius. The negative of the C-Max was its fuel economy vs the EPA numbers.  As I've said many times over the past 20 months (and as implied by MT's expert and virtually all reviewers) -  something was amiss with the Ford 47/47/47 EPA numbers.  Of course, many buyers at that time were duped into thinking the C-Max was a 47 mpg car by Ford's silhouette C-Max beats Prius V commercials. I knew based on my driving style that I would not get near 47 mpg but still bought the car and am averaging about 40,8 mpg in 27 k miles.  

Ford's initial deceptive FE claims coupled with the JDPower's IQS results, many recalls, and CR's poor reliability rating gave the C-Max a "black eye".    IMO, the C-Max is a great car but unfortunately, it may take another year or so for the "black eye" to go away. 

• 4 weeks later...

One thing I knew for sure when my Wife started wanting a hybrid was that it wasn't going to be a Prius!!! I wanted to wait and go all electric, maybe when

Tesla comes out with something affordable!! She kept pressing and guess who won! lol  She keeps asking me why I joined a C-Max Club since this is

her Car and NOT mine!!! lol :rockon:

I wrote in another thread (about the C-Max ride) about my experiences with a Prius (and a Prius V) which I drove for a week, but to me there is no comparison.  I suppose if all you really want is great gas mileage then you ought to get a bicycle but truly the Prius is a dangerous car out on the roads of today (not even the freeways but just places where folks routinely go 55-60 mph).  It moves like a whale, and even the GMC van I drove performed better in that respect.  I couldn't even remember how comfortable it was (or not) because I was just so damned concerned about my safety all the time I was driving that I couldn't think of anything else (and I'm a careful driver who doesn't usually make speed maneuvers, but you HAVE to at times just not to get run over).

I am just SO glad I "lucked into" the C-Max (it was so low on my radar that it was almost an afterthought of the list of cars I wanted to try.  The Prius V was much higher on the list, although at the time I hadn't driven it yet).  Every day I drive it it makes me smile.

Every day I drive it it makes me smile.

And every day I don't get to:   :cry:  Anybody know the cure for CMA (C-Max Addiction)? :bliss: My wife accuses me of hoggin' the left seat.  Our salesman even got after me about it!  I say - being deaf in my left ear - "I need to be in the left seat so I can hear you better!"  It is true but, nope, haven't gotten much mileage out of that one.

Hmmmm, have to remember that one.  "Sorry hon, but I just can't hear you riding as a passenger."

Actually I have been hogging it as well - keep finding reasons for  her to take the Durango ("We need the oil changed, you need to pick up those doors that won't fit in the Max, I need to go to Lady Lake which takes a lot of gas normally...") even though part of the sales job was how much gas we'd save when she used it to go to work (I'm retired and get to play).

I'm sure the novelty will wear out... eventually.

And every day I don't get to:   :cry:  Anybody know the cure for CMA (C-Max Addiction)? :bliss: My wife accuses me of hoggin' the left seat.  Our salesman even got after me about it!  I say - being deaf in my left ear - "I need to be in the left seat so I can hear you better!"  It is true but, nope, haven't gotten much mileage out of that one.

Oh yes...one of these  :flirt:  babies... :love_shower:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Well if anything can, I guess that might do it!  What a cool thing to do - finishing out the production run!  I think I had a little toy one of those - where is that little guy when I need it?  My first real car was a straight six but, man oh man, that's where the similarity ends!  And now for the big question (aside the price!), "does it meet its EPA mileage rating"???? :lol2:

Brother Jus. so your deaf in the left ear?  We share that similarity as well.  I have to say I recently caved in to the unceasing comments that the wifee never gets to drive Maxus.  I let her drive over the hill to the coast on highway 17.  Known for it inclines and twists and turns.  To my surprise she did pretty good with her braking score in the hills and managed to pull out a 43AvMPG while climbing to 1800ft at the summit both going and coming back to the sillycorn valley.  Guess I have to be a nice guy and let her drive more often.  But that means I have to drive her piece of *&%$ which is why I want to buy another CMax.  But that's a different story...to be continued.

Yeah, a lot of us are in the same club -- I can see that another Max needs to be in our future.

And that commercial...  My favorite part is where the wife (and these guys are obviously "real" and very good at being at camera as well) says "To be honest... I never liked the Prius."  Ouch.  No wonder Rick's Brother-in-law hates it.  I wish my own friends could see it, but there's no way I can show it to them (and it wouldn't be nice, anyway).

Finally!   Love it.

Most car commercials are repulsive:  that smug look everyone has, like your metal and plastic transportation device is part of the family.   Or will solve your problems.  Or it will keep your kids safe---"I can sleep at night knowing I have a Dodge minivan".  Please....

Ok.  So I love my C-max, but that's different. 

+1 Adrian on the C-Max 'Sal' commercial extended version.  Saw the Sal comm. previously, but it must have been a 30 second spot (? or am I just forgetful).  Not perfect, but great advert for a portion of the target market.  So many good P. pokes, some direct, some subtle; hit most of the highlights, great/real family.  Left out some handling/ride/materials ......... features,  Kudos Ford.  (P a learning ride...not over 60, Mom's reaction - priceless)

Thanks for re-posting this RockwallRick.

Edited by C-MaxSea

Rick,

Not to get too personal, but you guys don't live in Plantation, do you?

I've posted here at least two or three times about me borrowing my friend's Prius for a week and I tried to pull out from our development onto 27 and nearly got run over and then it occurs to me you live in central Florida like I do.  Now (for those of you not familiar with the area) 27 is very long and extends all the way through and there's no particular reason to assume you are nearby us, but it IS pretty funny that we have nearly identical stories (and I'm still trying to track down the Ice Storm C-Max that "lives" at Plantation).

No, we are pretty much smack dab in the center of the State.. approximately 200 miles south of the Ga line and about 200 miles north of Miami. She did her Prius test drive at Toyota of Winter Haven,

which is actually closer to Haines City and right off of Hwy 27. I have driven up and down that highway many times!