How Adaptive is Adaptive?

C-MaxSea

Having heard the concept of cars 'adapting' to the driver, just how 'adaptive' is the C-Max to the driver?

In other words, if I drive like Richard Rawlings and fang it all day, how 'adapted' does it become to that driving pattern (& how difficult is it to unwind)? 

Conversely, if I drive it keenly and allow it to do what it was primarily engineered for (good gas mileage), how 'adapted' does the car become to that driving pattern ?

Does 'adaptive' apply to the driving style alone, or does it extend to the terrain, climate, .......................; and to what extent?

OK learned folks here, help us if there is anything to it.  :)

Nick 

(head scratch, have I posted this question before?  Please forgive me if I have - it might be age)

Edited by C-MaxSea

I have not seen anything that indicates that the C-Max adapts to driving style.

The only thing that I know that is adaptive is the fuel trim.  So, over time the long term and short term fuel trim should be optimized.  ICE should not run too rich or to lean but just right.  If there is a PCM reset, the fuel trims would be reset to default values which may affect FE.  There are other sensor input values that are monitored for variance and may be modified by an exponentially weighted moving average.   Again if there is a reset, these values (especially long term values) could affect performance until the PCM relearns the variances.

Thanks everyone so far.  Those are certainly front & center, with EV+ the result of on-board GPS.  Did not realize the wipers reacted to speed. I guess we could also add the gimballing effect on EV management (what is that called?), also in the 'instantaneous' category.

Hmmm, I would like to think that there is more to it with all of the systems interactions, algorithms, and 'computerization' advancements, if that is even an appropriate term.  

(I may catalogue these above if anything else pops up.) 

Aside from these then, I guess it simply 'drives' to its core values, and 'adjusts' (or 'adapts') predominantly on the fly as all cars, pretty much only through peddle pressure.

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

The car does have tables that adapt to driving style. For example, after we drive a long distance on the freeway with minimal EV mode, the car revs the ICE much higher than normal when driving in the city because it's used to running at a much higher RPM on the highway. After awhile it reverts back to normal.

Check out the links in this thread.