First oil change 2014 CMax SEL

Ponypower

This would explain why I got AutoZone-brand oil when I asked for 0W20 full synthetic... Ford doesn't have one!

Ford doesn't make oil. They have oil bottles branded for sale as a Ford product.

Don't pay extra for a Ford branded oil bottle.

Buy a know good oil brand like Mobile 1, Royal Purple, ETC.

Edited by drdiesel1

I didn't say it did. You wanted to know potential disadvantages of using 0W vs 5W.  I did state we don't know the "virgin" TBN of the oils.  From Blackstone: "What is a TBN, and who uses it? In short, a TBN (total base number) measures the amount of active additive left in a sample of oil. The TBN is useful for people who want to extend their oil usage far beyond the normal range."

The $ discussion was on a potential disadvantage of using a lower weight oil was price or cost to the consumer over the life of ownership and the reason manufacturers might not want to spec lower weight oil.  I don't see that unless one is comparing conventional / semi synthetic vs synthetic.  I simply added that with respect to oil change maintenance that extending the OCI is where the larger savings can occur and that over the years IMO is why car manufacturers and oil companies continue to develop better oils so that OCIs can be extended (the TBN left in the used oil is a determinant as to oil life).  The "better" oils (allowing use of lower weight oil) may also increase FE slightly and help with meeting CAFE.  

Okay, but the question still remains why is 0W-30 not an offically supported oil for the CMAX? Ford is not going to care about the cost of 0W-30 compared to 5W because they are not the ones paying for it. If the CMAX can equally run on both 0W and 5W with absolutely no disadvantages beyond price, why wouldn’t Ford just say you can use either in the manual? Jeep says you can use 5W or 10W in the manual.

There was another thread about this. For the 2013 hybrid, the manual says 5W20. Then when the 2014 came out it became 0W20

Some intrepid forum member (Plus3Golfer if memory serves--always appreciate his info and graphs) pointed out that the engine was basically the same and then found out Ford officially stated either 0W20 or 5w20 was appropriate in the 2013.

Edited by Adrian_L