New Eastern Nebraska owner-question on factory block heater

VisionDonNE

Can't believe I just traded in a perfect 2013 Ford Escape 'S' model (base model) with only 38k miles for a new 2015 Silver C-Max!   Before my Escape had too little trade in value I just thought I would see what kind of deal and I could get, well cut to the chase, the deal was good and I now have a new 2015 SE with no options B​UT it did come from a dealer in the twin cities which leads to my question.....

The car has the factory engine block heater, that will did not disappointment me at all, however, the plug is in the engine compartment, it does not go to the outside of the car.  I am able to garage the car but gosh, did Ford really expect everyone to have to open and leave the hood up to use this??    

Something here I don't understand? How are some of the rest of you using this? 

Never dreamed I would have a nice Hybrid car of any brand, gosh, have to wonder why more of them aren't getting sold, low gas prices or not, it sure is a nice car!  By the way, the Escape was also very nice, it is my hope the C-max will get about 10 mpg more under the same conditions as the Escape (under conditions the Escape got 25-I hope the C-max will get 35 and so forth).  You know, these cars are very close to each other, driving the C-max feels little different from driving the Escape.  There are times I am sure I will miss the Escapes bigger luggage area, may have to pack smarter on future trips.  I think the C-max is a bit quieter and rides a bit better, pretty sure it also has more get up and go if I so choose to press gas pedal hard.  But again, the Escape is also a very fine car.   

You know it was always interesting with the Escape to sit at a light and watch the computer mpg indicator go down as you sat out the light, can't wait to see how my C-max does!

ICE heater cord pluged into exten. cord

ICE block heater cord

I installed a FORD ICE(engine) block heater in my car and there was plenty of cord so I would check to see if you can trace the wires back to find any excess wire to use.  I have the end of an extension cord Velcro-ed down on the lower right corner of the windshield so I can connect an extension cord to it. :)

Paul 

Edited by ptjones

The car has the factory engine block heater, that will did not disappointment me at all, however, the plug is in the engine compartment, it does not go to the outside of the car.  I am able to garage the car but gosh, did Ford really expect everyone to have to open and leave the hood up to use this??    

The plug should have a long enough cord that it can stick out of the hood. My parents leave their plug hanging out all winter in their Energi.

You are correct hybridbear, I should have seen that myself, the cord has a clip to a hose, pull that off and it is much longer, the only outside location that seems to be possible is the opening by the inside hood release but it's a tight fit.  Snowing here today so maybe in a few days I will take it back to my dealer and let them tell me where it is to come out (HA, bet they will have no idea!) . Interesting you (hybridbear) are in the Minneapolis area, this car appears to have sat at the Prairie Eden dealer in your town since this summer until my dealer here in Blair, NE made the deal for me.  I imagine these dealers exchange cars all the time. Most likely this car will be in your town sometime next year as I have a son living in Minneapolis.  

Thanks for the help.  

Next day, took to dealer, he looks it up on his computer, no information, gets one of his mechanics, they get it figured out, problem solved. Sure love driving this car!

Edited by VisionDonNE

Yup, same place.  I only live about 6 miles north of Blair, NE.  Have to chuckle, I got to know Bob Woodhouse who (along with a partner I believe) started this dealership as we both had daughters in the same grade. I was a poor State Social Worker who never dreamed I would be buying any new cars from him.  By the time I did finally buy a new Ranger in 2009 (thanks to cash for clunkers) he was pretty much retired from the business.  Nice man haven't seen him for a few years now.    

You know it was always interesting with the Escape to sit at a light and watch the computer mpg indicator go down as you sat out the light, can't wait to see how my C-max does!

Ahhh, the beauty of the hybrid with quiet bliss at stop lights !  Kind of like having more than one heating system for the house - and each one only firing (& wearing out) only half the time. (Don't get me started on the brakes that are only 'firing' 10-20% (???) of the time and no break dust !!!) 

Anyway, welcome VisionDonNE to the hybrid side & congratz on the C-Max. You might have to wait until Spring for the better MPG trips (although the cold weather nicks all cars more-or-less equally).  Keep it warm.

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Ahhh, the beauty of the hybrid with quiet bliss at stop lights !  Kind of like having more than one heating system for the house - and each one only firing (& wearing out) only half the time. (Don't get me started on the brakes that are only 'firing' 10-20% (???) of the time and no break dust !!!) 

Anyway, welcome VisionDonNE to the hybrid side & congratz on the C-Max. You might have to wait until Spring for the better MPG trips (although the cold weather nicks all cars more-or-less equally).  Keep it warm.

Nick

Interestingly enough, many vehicles today are being shipped with auto-stop on the engines. I believe Ford is doing it on the ICE Escape for 2017, and the Fusion and F-150 have it as options.