How to Drive a CMAX Hybrid/FFH to get Great Gas Mileage

There is a delayed camera off setting in SYNC, so that when you shift out of reverse the camera doesn't immediately shut off, it waits until the MPH increases a bit and then shuts off.  I'll check for the menu location next time I'm in the car.

I've found its based on distance.  Its fun to turn it on in the drive through.  Going into park turns it off immediately however.

Paul, did you see the Tesla Model 3 comes standard with some sort of "Eco Wheel" hubcaps?  They look suspiciously kind of like your Lexan wheel covers.

No I didn't.  :) It would be nice if FORD would supply an aerodynamic wheel cover that is easy to remove, these need to be cleaned periodically. :)  It's worth around 2 mpg.

Paul 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from trip to PA and NY and back, about 2,500 miles.  Temps ranged from 75-33*F and still averaged about 51 mpg for the trip. Also my Life Time went up to 49.3mpg, Fuelly.com to 48.3mpg and 170k mi. now. :)  YouTube video views are up to 3400 now and here's the link if you missed it: http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/6568-how-to-drive-a-cmax-hybridffh-to-get-great-gas-mileage/:)

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of days ago I had to get my oil changed and tires rotated so I took my wheel and fender covers off. The next morning went to work and on the way I have a stop sign stop then accelerate about 100 yds uphill and then down hill for a half mile. Once I reach 40 mph I put car in Neutral and coast down the hill, only got upto 45mph. The next day with covers on I did the same thing with no wind again and got upto 50mph. I knew they made a difference of 2 mpg, but now 5 mph too. :)  YouTube video views upto 3640.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With Winter here now, temps in the mid 30's it is time to cover all the grills to conserve as much heat as possible.  BRRR  :sad:  Yesterday I got 63mpg going to work with 46*F and some HVB charge and today only got 40.7*F with 34*F, sleet, rain and no HVB.  :sad: You Tube video views upto 4,410 now. smile.png

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday We made our normal trip up to North Atlanta(49mi.) to see our new grandson and see the New Star Wars movie. smile.png  I started out and ended up with 53.9 mpg, outside temps 45*F going Up and 35*F going home with 40 mi. FWY and 9 miles, 45 mph City. I did have 5 miles of stop and go HWY construction going( extra 30 min.) up and nothing going home. Better than I would expect given the temps.  smile.png You Tube videos up to 4,550 now, Hoping these are helping new members to improve their MPG's this winter. smile.png  For those who haven't seen them:

I have made three YouTube Videos for driving a CMAX the way it was designed to be driven, Called "How to drive a CMAX Hybrid to get great gas mileage",Also " CMAX Mods to improve MPG's" and "Hypermiling to improve MPG's".

https://www.youtube...._id=5uHoZ5QhVXs

Efficiency and Aerodynamic Mods:  The First thing to do is to raise your tire pressure of your Michelin's to 50psi which is safe to do and I got 64k miles for each set of tires on my CMAX.  smile.pnghttps://www.youtube...._id=Xmuw6275PRw

Hypermiling Video not recommended for those who can't focus on situational  awareness of traffic around you all the time. https://www.youtube...._id=s09mywF78g4

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went to Columbus, GA yesterday afternoon to bike ride the Riverwalk.  It's about 69 miles from Newnan, 70*F , averaged about 65 mph on I-85/ I-185 with good drafting partners, 550 ft. drop in elevation and got 59 mpg. Coming back averaging about 70 mpg and not much drafting got 49 mpg.  Sure is nice having the warmer temps. :)

Paul

Couple of days ago we made our usual trip up to North Atlanta to see New Grandson up I-85/I-285.  It's about 50 miles each way, temps 77*F going up, AC on half of the time Wife was getting hot. :)  Speeds were 80 mph to stop and go for accident , took about 15 min. longer than usual, started with 56 mpg on tank average ended with 55.9mpg. Going Home temps down to 70*F, speeds 75 mph to 60 mph and ended with 56.1 mpg, sure is nice to have warmer temps. :)  My MPG's HWY are only a few mpg less than City. :yahoo: BTW You Tube views are up to 5,600 and hopefully CMAX/FFH MPG's will be going up on fuelly.com. this Summer. :)

Paul  

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Deltona, FL and back yesterday (930mi., 14.5hrs. temps 34*F to 73*F) got 50.2 mpg at the pump(Fuelly.com average) and still averaged 60mph with some stop and go FWY traffic., most of the time 70+mph. I just love to drive this car. :) YouTube views are up to almost 6k now and it seems that alot people are buying used CMAX's. :yahoo: 

Paul

Edited by ptjones

Hi Paul,

Great vids.  Very helpful.  Not sure how diligent I'll be pursuing fuel efficiency but, at least buying a C Max is a step in the right direction.  

While I understand the best methods to get the most mileage is with driving technique, I was wondering if you care to share how you constructed the modifications to your C Max?   Namely the wheel covers and front lexan grill covers?   Maybe I should post in the modification section?  I did search but, maybe my skills are lacking?  

Figure if there are some things I can do to help improve the overall results that are not dependant on adapting a driving technique from both myself and wife, I'm willing to give it a try. 

Meanwhile, I do plan to see how I adapt my driving and use the information from the vehicle to improve fuel consumption.   Still pretty cold up here in the north so, not expecting very much out of the gate.  

Cheers!

Sean

Here is the Main Thread for the Grill Covers making and testing them.  http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/970-cmax-grill-cover-testing-2-5-mpg-gain/page-1 

If you can't do it yourself I do sell them for $100US, not sure how much extra it cost to mail to Canada. You can PM me for details. Here are pics using packaging and carpet tape. My covers are LEXAN. :)

Top Grill taped

tape2

tape1

The wheel covers are a challenge to attach to the wheels. I machined aluminum plugs with 1/4x20 threaded hole in center to go on the inside of the wheels and glued them in with silicon rubber . Then used 1 3/4" 1/4"x 20 thread machine screwed into plug through 1/4" fender washer, 3/16" x 18 1/4" LEXAN Plastic cover and 1/2" Nylon bushing.  Also put Nylon 1/4" x 20- 1 1/2" screw about 1 1/2" from edge through LEXAN to keep cover from spinning. 

Wheel well cover

:)

Paul

... some things I can do to help improve the overall results that are not dependant on adapting a driving technique ...

Get a Prius?

Looking at cars, given my love of the C-Max, I've been re-reading its reviews and those of similar cars. Car and Driver is in the same boat as Consumers' Union - neither organization has anyone on staff who knows how to drive a hybrid.

- In a car with capability, like the C-Max, they diligently criticize it's poor mileage while driving it like it had gears 

- in a car without capability, like the Prius, they diligently laud it's high mileage. They fail to see that the lack of capability prevents the driver from using fuel, insuring high mileage at the price of the drivers' soul. 

I find human learning far more palatable than loss of soul. 

Have fun,

Frank

Thanks Frank.

We did look at the Prius V. Mind you, it was in the same age bracket and price point. From a drivers’s point of view, my goodness! It’s a soulless machine. I also spend time on the road and take calls for work. The Prius is a tin can. Sure it has Blue Tooth connectivity. Unless you are stopped, it’s rather useless.

The centre placement of the instrument cluster. I guess some diehards see past this while flying the Toyota flag high with pride.

Maybe it does perform better in fuel efficiency for those that simply drive it and don’t change their style.

During my maiden voyage, achieved 42 MPGs. Tire pressure was 38 psi, temp 50 F, 70% freeway. This was driving it while learning. I tried the ecocruise. While holding a steady 65 mph, the ICE was running continuously. I turned the cruise off, sped up 5 mph, and then dropped the speed down and could use EV mode for several miles at the same 65 cruising speed.

Made some adjustments to the tire temps and topped up the fuel and going to work on making some more improvement to the result. Also, need to find an owners manual. It has the quick reference guide but, need to figure out some other things. This is my first Ford in 8 years. Lots of things have changed.

Can’t seem to activate the rear hatch with kick motion? Can use the flob and interior release, no problem.

Paul,

I’ll send you a pm, I’m close to the boarder and can pick up shipments in Buffalo/Niagara Falls if you have any grill covers available?