My NAV is awful

My car is back from the dealer and appearantly I already have the latest updates and the problem with my door handles not locking or unlocking the car mysteriously fixed itself yesterday after not working for a week so there is "nothing wrong" with them.  I guess I will travel with some sort of back-up NAV system.  Like was mentioned before by someone else, the car shows the correct street it is sitting on until you turn on the NAV with a programmed destination.  There are times it looks like I am 1/4 mile off the interstate and as soon as my "flying" car comes across a secondary road the NAV starts to recalculate...

I just got this info from syncmyride.com   It looks like maybe 3.5.1 might solve the NAV problems because it comes with a new SD card.  Unfortunatly, it doesn't appear to be available for the Hybrid cars just yet...  I guess we will have to just wait and see.

Today, we are proud to announce the release of a new software update, available immediately for many SYNC® with MyFord Touch®/MyLincoln Touch systems. This new software will provide the following enhancements to your current system:

• Return of the outside air temperature to the 8 inch display
• Updated phone pairing process
• Enhanced voice and screen destination entry for SD Card Navigation (if equipped)
• Simplified voice commands for music
• Enhancements to voice recognition
• Updated SYNC/device compatibility

Please note that the update is not yet available for MyFord Touch/MyLincoln Touch vehicles equipped with Navigation. For these vehicles, the software update requires a complimentary replacement SD card. We plan to have your replacement SD cards, as well as the new software update, ready for you in January. We will make an announcement in the forums when you are able to request your replacement SD card. Please be aware that if you perform the update without the replacement SD card in a Navigation-equipped vehicle, your Navigation system will be inoperable.

If your vehicle is not equipped with SD Card Navigation, you can log in and check for updates now.

We look forward to sharing an enhanced MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch experience with all of you.

Today, I turned on the GPS without setting a destination but just see what it shows as I drive down the road.  It kepted indicating the C-Max was off road by about 20-50 feet or more.  Then it would hop onto the road like it should.  After a few minutes, it would again show the car off road.  It must be the GPS system, not the map, that is not working.  I'm wondering if a software update would fix it or if it has more to do with the GPS tracking system.....  There are no hills or buildings to cause this error.

Today, I turned on the GPS without setting a destination but just see what it shows as I drive down the road.  It kepted indicating the C-Max was off road by about 20-50 feet or more.  Then it would hop onto the road like it should.  After a few minutes, it would again show the car off road.  It must be the GPS system, not the map, that is not working.  I'm wondering if a software update would fix it or if it has more to do with the GPS tracking system.....  There are no hills or buildings to cause this error.

I never have that problem, all mapping information (although slow to refresh during turns) is accurate down to the intersection I stop in real time.

Have the dealer check your GPS receiver antenna.

Edited by darrelld

• 2 weeks later...

A few days ago I was about a mile from my destination and the streets started to get confusing. Right when I most needed guidance, the Nav system announced "Entering area of incomplete map coverage"!!.  

Where was I going?  A brand new mall, a new subdivision, some new town as yet unmapped, the wilderness of Alaska?  Nope?  I was going to the Kentucky State Capital building, completed in 1910!!!!! I guess whoever Lord Motor Company uses for maps needs about 103 years to get "Complete Map Coverage".

A few days ago I was about a mile from my destination and the streets started to get confusing. Right when I most needed guidance, the Nav system announced "Entering area of incomplete map coverage"!!.  

Where was I going?  A brand new mall, a new subdivision, some new town as yet unmapped, the wilderness of Alaska?  Nope?  I was going to the Kentucky State Capital building, completed in 1910!!!!! I guess whoever Lord Motor Company uses for maps needs about 103 years to get "Complete Map Coverage".

This is a common issue to Nav systems in general.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_navigation_system

Misdirection

A number of road accidents in the UK have been attributed to misdirection by satellite navigation systems. On May 11, 2007, a driver followed satellite navigation instructions in the dark and her car was hit by a train on a rail crossing that was not shown on the system.[14] In Exton, Hampshire, the County Council erected a sign warning drivers to ignore their "sat nav" system and to take another route, because the street was too narrow for vehicular traffic and property damage resulted from vehicles getting stuck.[15]

On March 25, 2009, a man drove down a steep mountain path and almost off a cliff after he was allegedly directed by his portable GPS system. He was finally stopped by a wire fence.[16]

In Australia, tourists using a satellite navigation system became bogged in Moreton Bay when the system indicated it was possible to drive to North Stradbroke Island.[17]

Misdirection can also occur when a road is altered either permanently or temporarily, such as during road re-construction.[citation needed]

Edited by darrelld

It's amazing how society ever functioned without GPS navigation.

It's a tool people. One of many.

I use mine more for recreational geek factor than actual navigation... It's almost exclusively used to check traffic or mess around with maps - I always figure out where I am going before I start out.

I don't have Nav on my motorcycle so I just get used to, what is that called? Oh yeah... Using my brain...

;)

"This is a common issue to Nav systems in general."

I don't think so.  I've had a bunch of Garmins (they use NavTeq maps) and with the exception of the occasional actual brand new street, it never says "area of incomplete map coverage".  And, my trusty refurb 2595 ($109) includes lifetime map updates 4 times a year.

As others have said, I will be carrying my Garmin with me as backup.

The only reason for me liking my Sync NAV is the huge screen so I can see at a glance where the heck I am going or the upcoming street. However, I agree, my android google maps does just a good of a job and the only thing it does not do well is that it sucks the battery dry quick (DroidX) and hooking a recharger on it sometimes does not work - don't ask me why but it just does that. DroidX is the backup for me - but where it fails is where there is no 3G or 1x such as the hills in Malibu where I wander occassionally, hard to find an address then.

I have offline maps on my iPhone so I don't even need a data signal...

As for your charger not working well maybe it's not enough amps?

I found that if I am using something that takes power - like navigation or my Radar Detector app - then my normal chargers don't provide enough juice, usually only half an amp.

I found a 2amp 12v charger which will both power the phone during heavy use AND charge the battery.

I have offline maps on my iPhone so I don't even need a data signal...

As for your charger not working well maybe it's not enough amps?

I found that if I am using something that takes power - like navigation or my Radar Detector app - then my normal chargers don't provide enough juice, usually only half an amp.

I found a 2amp 12v charger which will both power the phone during heavy use AND charge the battery.

I'll check it out, didn't think about the amps as its suppose to be compatible with the DroidX.

I think its the batteries - if it's hot, for some reason it won't charge and it does get hot using the GPS/googlemaps. However, it will drain itself and then it will recharge after a while. Go figure, so I use it sparingly. It's a Motorola charger and it works fine all the time except in this scenario.

Have the same problems listed as above with my wifes car  Del 1 /10/ 13 Dealer aware of problem was told by them yesterday that they have fixed it in non hybrid cars but the fix for hybrid cars is taking longer cause of programing.   Sound like BS   I will give them alittle longer to fix  then demand money back from FOrd as its useless as is

Well, well, well. Today I had a long day going all the way to Ventura county and almost clocked over 5000 miles on my odo, my tank has about 530 miles on it and some yellow to go. But I digress...I reset Max's MFT last night and guess what - the Nav tracked BEAUTIFULLY all day today, not once did it go offline on me. And I am talking about up and down those bendy, tight Ventura hills with the lovely sights of the Channel Island and ocean views, 70F and no breeze---sweet, sweet, sweet. Ha, how I wish I lived there instead of this stupid LA city....but I digress. Again.

So, thats the secret, reset the MFT. The only bad thing about it is that I lose my Favourites that I program into the MFT like the Costco gas stations.

PS Boy do I :wub2:  this car, climb hills, stealth mode and I am hitting the 47MPGs :happy feet: so Ford was right on the money as far as I am concerned.Now, I don't think this is a 50MPG per tank car though unless you do surface streets all day .

Edited by Jus-A-CMax