My NAV is awful

Who does Ford partner with for NAV?

And why isn't it Microsoft?

I've used Microsoft Streets and Trips on a Toshiba netbook for yrs, $35 update every other year. AND IT WORKS ;)

the same people that designed and wrote the nav app for the Iphone when they got rid of Google maps - problem is the design and coding team decided to try the navigation app by using it to guide them to get coffee - they left the offices in Cupertino for the 5 block trip and where last seem on Mount Everest still without coffee 

The manual says to go to www.navigation.com/ford for map updates. That site is owned by NAVTEQ.

I think NAVTEQ just provided the raw map and POI data, there's probably a different group responsible for the onscreen map display, and yet another team responsible for the the GPS reciever software (that translates the satellite signals into a location). It's this last group that appears to have messed up, and we really don't know who they are yet. (Ok, I've got some complaints about how the map data is rendered onscreen too, but those are mild compared to the location bug)

And why isn't it Microsoft?

I've used Microsoft Streets and Trips on a Toshiba netbook for yrs, $35 update every other year. AND IT WORKS

Uhm, it *is* Microsoft.

MyFordTouch and Ford Synce are Microsoft Auto (or more accurately currently referred to as Windows Embedded Automotive), and has been a joint project between Ford and Microsoft (although it has spun through a few different contractors as well). It started with Microsoft and Clarion as "Auto PC" in like 2002ish. Ford got involved 2005ish and the first product for ford was the initial version of Sync released in 2007.

Microsoft uses NavTeq map data for "streets and trips" (and Bing maps) just like MyFordTouch uses Navteq map data. Microsoft has used Navteq data for a long time.

Nokia bought Navteq in 2007 and in 2011 fully incorporated Navteq into Nokia operations.

What you are all complaining about is a glitch in the way MyFordTouch (Microsoft Auto) is plotting the cars GPS coordinates onto the NavTeq data.

It should be fixed or improved with the MFT 3.5.1 update.

Microsoft and Ford have worked together on this since day one, and the maps have always been supplied by Navteq.

Navteq provides the data not only for Ford and Microsoft but also for a ton of systems including:

Garmin, BMW, Chrysler, Fiat, ESRI, Hyundai, Kia, Land Rover, Jaguar, Lowrance, JVC, Mini, Mitsubishi, Porsche, Qualcomm, OnStar, Rand McNally, Toyota, Volkswagen, Volvo, Sony, TMobile, Yahoo.........

Just to name a few recognizable ones.

The maps in my BMW are excellent and whatever sytem they use interfaces perfectly because they are always 100% spot on!  So if Ford is using the same mapping, then as soon as they can figure out how to interface with My Ford Touch I would expect nothing less than that!  There is hope!

I just had my C-Max in for its first oil change (3,700 miles).  I inquired about the GPS/Nav problem.  Service guy gave me Ford's reply to his inquiry.  It said,
"32078 2012-2013 Battery Electric and Huybrid Vehicles Only - Navigation SD Card Fault and Clock will not hold correct time.

Some 2012-2013 Battery Electric and Hybrid Vehicles equipped with My Ford Touch may exhibit concerns with navigation SD card and the clock not holding correct time.  BEV and Hybrid vehicles at this time will not accept the A4 navigation card or the latest MyTouch update.  A release for Hybrid vehicles is forth coming.  Effective Date 06-February-2013."

I guess we just need to wait until we get this update.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just about had my fill of the Nav system.  It is so incredibly dysfunctional, user unfriendly and inaccurate we have just about quit using it on our continuing trip around the southwest and southeast.  

So far it has run the whole gamut of malfunctions:

1)Refusing to believe we are actually on the road and not out in a field or in the ocean.

2)Continually whining about "Entering Area of Incomplete Map Data"

3)Inaccurate maps in places like San Antonio on 300 year old streets, not something built last year.

4)Mysteriously sending us up blind alleys or just plain wrong streets on several occasions.

5)Mysteriously changing its mind in mid route and inventing a new route. Cost us 10 miles today. This is related to #1 above.

Do not drive your car anywhere near inner city areas depending on the FordNav to get you out.  We've seen some scary stuff on this trip in San Antonio, Little Rock, Atlanta and Nashville when we got directed inaccurately. Yesterday, for example, FordNav believed the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library was located in someone's backyard at the end of a pretty shaky dead end street. Fortunately Garmin saved the day and directed us to the right place which in fact wasn't in anybody's back yard. And you don't want to even hear about the route FordNav dreamed up to get us from Senoia, GA (where they film Walking Dead) to Atlanta.  Since it never believed we were on the actual road, it kept coming up with weird routes to get us back on pavement.

We cannot trust this thing and carry our Garmin so we can be guaranteed a route home. And, by the way I get free map updates 4 times a year on the Garmin. So far on this trip we have never gotten an "Incomplete Map Data" warning on the Garmin despite being in areas FordNav was confused about.

This Ford piece of junk is not even close to the capability and user friendliness of the back up Garmin I bought at Target for $80, let alone the more deluxe model I bought for $129. When we get back from this trip, I'm taking it to the dealer and demanding a free map update.  It is absolutely ridiculous for this car to be delivered new with outdated maps.This won't, however, fix the accuracy problem which I suspect is the real root of most difficulties with this unit.

There is definitely something odd going on with this issue. We have a C - Max built mid-February, and the nav accuracy is dead on, I can easily tell what side of the street I am driving on, for instance. The maps are perfect so far, and it even has the new bridges in our area. The directions so far have been perfect, for about a dozen locations in the lower mainland of BC.

I feel horrible for anyone who ended up with the previous version and I understand your frustrations.

Hang in there!

There is definitely something odd going on with this issue. We have a C - Max built mid-February, and the nav accuracy is dead on, I can easily tell what side of the street I am driving on, for instance. The maps are perfect so far, and it even has the new bridges in our area. The directions so far have been perfect, for about a dozen locations in the lower mainland of BC.

I feel horrible for anyone who ended up with the previous version and I understand your frustrations.

Hang in there!

Mine is spotty.  I've had a few problems with not finding POIs.  I've never had a problem when entering an address, though I don't really do that often.  I would say, 80% of the time, my NAV is dead on.  The other 20 it puts me on the side of the road, usually a frontage road on the Freeway.

We're all waiting for the MFT update, very anxiously - even my call to Galpin goes unanswered.... :sos: 

talked in the in vehicle technical support line again - pretty much forget about getting it in the first quarter, they still have no idea. To add insult to injury tried going to the official support site - syncmyride.com and they don't support access with IE10 - which is the only version of IE that works on Windows 8

talked in the in vehicle technical support line again - pretty much forget about getting it in the first quarter, they still have no idea. To add insult to injury tried going to the official support site - syncmyride.com and they don't support access with IE10 - which is the only version of IE that works on Windows 8

That's odd!  I am running IE10 with Win7 and it works great. Could it have something to do with Win8?

My NAV also works as it should or maybe I should say so far, in four months, no problems.

Edited by cgul

Would you have a link to that?

No.  Only on OASIS right now.   It is TSB 13-3-11.

"GLOBAL POSITION SATELLITE MODULE - TRAFFIC DIRECTIONS AND NAVIGATION - UNABLE TO LOCATE VEHICLE - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 1/15/2013"

Ford should have a link to the TSB in a few days.   Google "Ford TSB 13-3-11".

No.  Only on OASIS right now.   It is TSB 13-3-11.

"GLOBAL POSITION SATELLITE MODULE - TRAFFIC DIRECTIONS AND NAVIGATION - UNABLE TO LOCATE VEHICLE - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 1/15/2013"

Ford should have a link to the TSB in a few days.   Google "Ford TSB 13-3-11".

Ok, I gave my dealer a heads up, and they found it.

Thanks for the info!

I'm taking my car in tomorrow morning.

I hope this resolves that issue.

The only thing reminaing then would be I have the A3 map and firmware 2.15.17 - Would like that to be upgraded to A4/3.5.1, and NOT have to pay for it.